This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dynamic modeling and simulation of a powertrain system with a six-speed automatic transmission
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 13, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The constant growth of the automotive market demands for comfort to the user and energy efficiency have caused the intensification of the industry researches and development of the automatic transmissions (AT). However, vehicles equipped with these gearboxes entails in higher fuel consumption levels than the one required by vehicles equipped with manual transmission. In the automotive industry due to the advantages offered using computer simulations, such as fast evaluation an optimization, many researchers are using virtual models for optimization of dynamic behavior of systems and fuel consumption. Aiming to study the dynamic behavior of an AT and the influence of its components on that behavior, this paper presents an AT dynamic model developed in MATLAB® / Simulink®. The AT model has three main subsystems: a torque converter model, which includes the dynamic of both the forward flow mode and the reverse flow mode; a Lepelletier gearbox model, composed by a set of three planetary gearsets in parallel, resulting in a six forward speeds gearbox; and a gear-shift schedule, which has the vehicle speed and accelerator pedal position as inputs of the model and the gear that should be selected in that condition as output of the model. The torque converter subsystem considers the transient and steady-state dynamic and their mainly operation dynamic characteristic: the conversion range, in which occurs a torque amplification and the stator is held; the coupling range, in which the stator freely rotates; and the transition periods from the forward to the reverse flow mode and vice-versa. The axial volume flow of the fluid, the speed and the torque of the three wheels (impeller, stator and turbine) were verified for the dynamic analysis of the system. In addition, the AT model was integrated into a MATLAB® / Simulink® vehicular dynamics and fuel consumption model in order to be analyzed under the ABNT 7024 standard speed profile.
Citationde Araujo, M., Falleiros, M., and Gioria, G., "Dynamic modeling and simulation of a powertrain system with a six-speed automatic transmission," SAE Technical Paper 2019-36-0100, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-36-0100.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Wendelius , L. 2012
- Suthar , H.
- Lechner , Giesbert , and Harald Naunheimer Automotive transmissions: fundamentals, selection, design and application Springer Science & Business Media 1999
- Hrovat , D. , and W. E. Tobler Bond graph modeling and computer simulation of automotive torque converters Journal of the Franklin institute 319 1-2 1985 93 114
- Heisler , Heinz Advanced vehicle technology Elsevier 2002
- Asl , Hadi Adibi , Nasser Lashgarian Azad , and John McPhee Math-based torque converter modelling to evaluate damping characteristics and reverse flow mode operation International Journal of Vehicle Systems Modelling and Testing 91 2014 36 55
- Toyota Technical Training 2006
- Banerjee , Joydeep , Nasser Lashgarian Azad , and John McPhee 2012
- Adibi Asl , Hadi. 2014
- How Torque Converter Works https://auto.howstuffworks.com/auto-parts/towing/towing-capacity/information/torque-converter2.htm
- Li , Y. A. N. G. , and M. Sunden 2016
- Kirtane , Chinmay , et al. Gear Shift Schedule Optimization and Drive Line Modeling for Automatic Transmission Proc. 1st Int. 16th Natl. Conf. Mach. Mech 2013
- Ngo , D. V. 2012
- Xi , Lu , Xu Xiangyang , and Liu Yanfang Simulation of gearshift algorithm for automatic transmission based on matlab 2009 WRI World Congress on Software Engineering. Vol. 2. IEEE 2009
- H. Naunheimer , B. Bertsche , J. Ryborz , W. Novak Automotive Transmissions, Fundamentals, Selection, Design and Application Second edition Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg 2011
- Marques , Pedro Miguel Teixeira 2017
- Schlegel , Clemens , Andreas Hosl , and Sergej Diel Detailed loss modelling of vehicle gearboxes Proceedings of the 7th International Modelica Conference Como; Italy 20-22 September 2009 2009
- Concli , F. , & Gorla , C. 2016 Windage, churning and pocketing power losses of gears: different modeling approaches for different goals Forschung im Ingenieurwesen 80 3-4 85 99