This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
DEVELOPMENT OF PRODUCT-SERVICE SYSTEM BUSINESS MODEL: a study at Mercedes-Benz Brazil
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 13, 2020 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
With the increase in the use of information technology and communication, Internet of Things, Big Data, in addition to the concepts of sustainability, a new strategy has been structured, which aims to add value to the traditional PSS model, in the integration of new services to products. The challenge is how to change the current business model of a fully product-oriented (PO) company into a supplier of products with integrated services, in a new business model. From the theoretical propositions and best practices of companies that have implemented PSS businesses models, this paper propose and validate a systematization of strategic actions that make possible for product-oriented companies to change to a new PSS business model, and can be used as a guideline to the PSS implementation, as it compiles the key aspects needed for each strategic area, the important actions found in the literature and bibliographic references that may help in further research. In terms of theoretical relevance, this paper expands the PSS model, using the Big Data to generate new business. Managerial contribution was the development of a roadmap for the implementation of PSS that compiles the key aspects for each construct and dimensions and the best practices found in the literature and the bibliographic references. The proposal was validated by executives of Mercedes-Benz company, both in Brazil and abroad.
CitationFerreira Junior, R. and Scur, D., "DEVELOPMENT OF PRODUCT-SERVICE SYSTEM BUSINESS MODEL: a study at Mercedes-Benz Brazil," SAE Technical Paper 2019-36-0093, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- KÖLSCH, P. et al. A novel concept for the development of availability-oriented business models. ScienceDirect, Vol.64, p 340-344, 2017.
- BAINES T.S. et al. Servitization: revisiting the state-of-the-art and research priorities. International Journal of Operations & Production Management, Vol. 37 Iss 2 p. 256-278, Jul. 2017.
- NEELY, A. Exploring the financial consequences of the servitization of Manufacturing. Operations Management Review, Forthcoming. Available at SSRN: https://ssrn.com/abstract=1339189, Dec. 2008.
- SANTAMARIA, L.; NIETO, M. J.; MILES, I. Service innovation in manufacturing firms: Evidence from Spain. Technovation, 32(2), p.144-155, 2012.
- NEELY, A.; BENEDETINNI, O.; VISNJIC, I. The servitization of manufacturing: Further evidence. European Operations Management Conference, Cambridge, Jan. 2011.
- MANYIKA, J. et al. Disruptive technologies: Advances that will transform life, business, and the global economy (Vol. 12). New York: McKinsey Global Institute, 2013.
- SASSANELLI, C. et al. The role of Internet of Things (IoT) Technologies and service quality of a PSS. XXI Summer School “Francesco Turco”- Industrial System Engineering, 2016.
- AL-FUQAHA, A. et al. Internet of things: A survey on enabling technologies, protocols, and applications. Communications Surveys & Tutorials, IEEE, 17(4), 2347-2376, Fourth quarter 2015.
- EGGERT, A. et al. Revenue and Profit Implications of Industrial Service Strategies. Journal of Service Research, Vol 17(1) 23-39, 2014.
- BAINES T.S; LIGHTFOOD H.W. Servitization of the Manufacturing Firm. International Journal of Operations & Production Management, vol. 34 Iss 1 p. 2-35, 2013.
- SACCANI, N.; PERONA, M.; BACCETTI, A . The total cost of ownership of durable consumer goods: A conceptual model and as empirical application. International Journal of Production Economics 183, p.1-13, Out. 2016.
- OLIVA, R.; KALLENBERG, R. Managing the transition from products to services. International Journal of Service Industry Management. Vol.14 No.2, p. 160-172, 2003.
- BAINES T.S.; SHI, G. A Delphi study to explore the adoption of servitization in UK companies. Production Planning &Control, Vol.26 No.14, p. 1-17, 2015.
- WEEKS, R.V.; PLESSIS J.W. Servitization: developing a business model to translate corporate strategy into strategic projects. Technology Management in the Energy Smart World (PICMET), 2011.
- TUKKER, A. Eight types of Product-Service System: eight ways to sustainability? Experiences from Suspronet. TNO Institute of Strategy, Technology and Policy, The Netherlands. Business Strategy and the Environment, Abr. 2004.
- REIM, W.; PARIDA, V.; ORTQVIST, D. Product-service systems (PSS) business models and tactics: a systematic literature review. Journal of Cleaner Production. 97, p.61-75, 2015.
- OPRESNIK, D.; TAISCH, M. The Value of Big Data in Servitization. International Journal of Production Economics. V.165. p.174-184, 2015.
- ZHU, H.; MADNICK S. Finding new uses for information. MIT Sloan Management review. Vol. 50. Fasc.: 4. p. 18-21, 2009.
- CHLOÉ, R.; FRÉDERIC, D.; WOLFGANG, U. Michelin Fleet Solutions: from selling tires to selling kilometers. HEC, Paris case no. 510-103-1, 2010.
- GEBAUER, H., FLEISCH, E. e FRIEDLI, T. Overcoming the service paradox in manufacturing companies. European Management Journal, Vol.23 No.1, p. 14-26, 2005.
- BRAX, S.A.; VISINTIN, F. Meta-model of servitization: The integrative profiling approach. Industrial Marketing Management, Vol.60, p. 17-32, 2017.
- FOOTE, N.W. et al. Making solutions the answer. The McKinsey Quarterly, Vol. 3, p. 84-93, 2001.
- GEBAUER, H.; FRIEDLI, T. Behavioral implications of the transition process from products to services. Journal of Business & Industrial Marketing, Vol. 20 Issue: 2, p.70-78, 2005.
- REINARTZ, W.; ULAGA, W. How to sell Services More Profitable. Harvard Business Review. Product no. R0805F, Mai. 2008.
- BAINES, T.S. et al. The servitization of manufacturing: A review of literature and reflection on future challenges. Journal of Manufacturing Technology Management, Vol. 20 Issue: 5, p.547-567, 2009a.
- KWAK, K; KIM, Wonjoon . Effect of service integration strategy on industrial firm performance. Journal of Service Management, Vol. 27 Iss 3 pp. 391 - 430, Nov. 2015.
- ULAGA, W. From product to service: navigating the transition. IMD Discovery Event, 2013.
- BAINES, T.S. et al. Servitized Manufacture: Practical challenges of Delivering Integrated Products and Services. International Journal Mechanical Engineering, Part B, Vol. 223, p.1-9, 2009b.
- El-YANIV, R.; KANIEL, R.; LINIAL, N. Competitive Optimal On-Line Leasing. Algorithmic, V.25, p.116-140, 1999.
- GAVRONSKI, I. Resources and Capabilities for Sustainable Operations Strategy. Journal of Operations and Supply Chain Management, 1(1), p. 1-20, Dez. 2012.
- TRAN, T.; PARK, J.Y. Development of a novel set of criteria to select methodology for designing product service systems. Journal of Computational Design and Engineering V. 3. p. 112-120, 2016.
- MONT, O.K.; DALHAMMAR, C.; JACOBSSON, N. A new business model for baby prams based on leasing and product remanufacturing. Journal of cleaner Production 14 (17), p. 1509-1518, 2006.
- VOSS, C.; TSIKRIKTSIS, N.; FROHLICH, M. Case research in operations management. International Journal of Operations & Production management, Vol. 22 Iss: 2 p. 195-219, 2002.
- YIN, ROBERT K. Estudo de Caso-planejamento e métodos [translation: Cristhian Matheus Herrera]. -5. Edition-Porto Alegre: Bookman, 2015.
- RODA, I.; GARETTI, M. The link between costs and performances for Total Cost of Ownership evaluation of physical asset-state of the art review. International Conference on Engineering, Technology, and Innovation (ICE), 2014.
- BAINES, T.S. et al. State-of-the art in product service-systems. Department of Manufacturing, Cranfield University, Cranfield, UK, Jun. 2007.