This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Parameterization Study of a Driveability Maneuver
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 13, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
With the evolution of technological resources as tools for industrial development, it became possible to simulate various components and mechanisms to premeditate evaluations in the virtual environment even before the construction of the first prototype. In the automotive industry, engineers have personal challenge of predicting vehicle behavior in early stages of project development, when it is extremely important to have assertive assessments for the construction of significant physical specimens, improving parameters such as quality and reliability. However, the simulated performance’s objective values often do not provide quantified values in a subjectively way for drivers. The work in question proposes the study and elaboration of a simple vehicle model from a well-structured dynamic model, with information detailing in the powertrain and drivetrain assemblies, considering these as the main mechanisms to promote longitudinal acceleration. This model was simulated in order to obtain data for a comparison with parameters from a real test, in which there were done the same maneuvers under equal conditions of execution. Considering the first loop’s results, there were modified the clutch letter, tire letter and engine’s inertia parameter, in view of a better correlation with the experimental data. Through these betterments, there were achieved more consistent curves related to the rotational engine speed, vehicle speed and longitudinal acceleration, however the engine torque curve presented a considerable nonconformity, due to, e.g., an idealized efficiency coefficient in the powertrain group. Due to the fact that the longitudinal acceleration is the main parameter for driveability assessment and its curve’s consistency in the simulation, it was concluded that the simulation produced significant results. Thus, it was possible to approximate the simulated model to the actual vehicle behavior, obtaining equivalent and coherent answers that validate the model as a testing tool and future subjective evaluations concerning, e.g., the driveability area.
CitationRodrigues, I., Mendes Pereira, L., Pereira, H., and Cerqueira, V., "Parameterization Study of a Driveability Maneuver," SAE Technical Paper 2019-36-0091, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-36-0091.
- Baumgartner , E. et al. Using a dynamic driving simulator for perception-based powertrain development Transportation Research Part F 2017 10.1016/j.trf.2017.08.012t
- Castellazzi , L. , Tonoli , A. , Amati , N. , Piu , A. et al. Vehicle Driveability: Dynamic Analysis of Powertrain System Components SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-1124 2016 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-1124
- Dorey , R.E. and Holmes , C.B. Vehicle Driveability - Its Characterization and Measurement SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0949 1997
- Eriksson , L. and Nielsen , L. Modeling and Control of Engines and Drivelines Wiley 2014 978-1-118-47999-5
- Fouladinejad , N. , Fouladinejad , N. , Jalil , M.K.A. , and Taib , J.M. Development of a surrogate-based vehicle dynamic model to reduce computational delays in a driving simulator Proceedings of the Transactions of the Society for Modeling and Simulation International 92 12 1087 1102 2016 10.1177/0037549716675956
- Li , P. , Wei , Y. , Zhou , X. , Wei , C. et al. Research on Fidelity of Driving Simulators Proceedings of the Advanced Materials Research 308-310 1880 1884 2011 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.308-310.1880
- Liu , Y. , Hong , S. , and Ge , T. Real-Time Hardware-in-the-Loop Simulation for Driveability Development SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-0005 2017 https://doi.org/10.4271/2017-01-0005
- Lukac , M. , Brumercik , F. , and Krzywonos , L. Driveability Simulation of Vehicle With Variant Tire Properties Communications - Scientific Letters of the University of Zilina 18 2 34 37 2016
- Rodrigues , I.P. , Martins , J.J.B. , Donato , L.F.P. 2018
- Saliba , R.P. and Pereira , L.V.M. Levantamento das curvas de potência e torque através da aceleração do veículo em pista de ensaio SAE Technical Paper 2011-36-0168 2011
- Shin , C.W. , Kim , H. , Kim , M.K. , Lim , W. et al. Development of an evaluation method for quantitative driveability in heavy-duty vehicles Proceedings of the Journal of Mechanical Science and Technology 28 5 1615 2014 10.1007/s12206-014-0107-5
- Wu , H. and Meng-Feng , L. A Hardware-in-the-Loop (HIL) Bench Test of a GT-Power Fast Running Model for Rapid Control Prototyping (RCP) Verification SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0546 https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-0549
- Zehetner , J. , Schöggl , P. , Dank , M. , and Meitz , K. Simulation of Driveability in Real-time SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1372 https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1372