This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The influence of A-pillar obscuration/location on driver visibility
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 13, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
During the early phase of vehicle development, one of the key design attributes to consider is visibility for the driver. Visibility is the ability to see one’s surrounding environment while they are driving. Therefore, it is one of the key requirements to be considered during the vehicle design.
Certain vehicle characteristics such as the size of windshield and the design of the pillars influence the perception of visibility for the driver. One specific characteristic influencing satisfaction is A-pillar obscuration and location, which is the subject of this paper.
The objective of this project is to analyze the relationship between the A-pillar obscuration/location with the driver satisfaction under real world driving conditions, based on research, statistical data analysis and dynamic clinics. Other influences, such as the position of the occupant in the seat was also studied and captured in this paper.
CitationSantos, A., Gerez, A., Pádua, A., Genaro, P. et al., "The influence of A-pillar obscuration/location on driver visibility," SAE Technical Paper 2019-36-0062, 2020.
- CHO, Y. H. , “Application of Slim A-Pillar to Improve Driver’s Field of Vision.” International Journal of Automotive Technology, Vol. 11, No 4, pp. 517-524, 2010.
- Ahn, S.Y. , “Development of a Forward Visibility Assessment Tool Based on Visibility Angle”. International Journal of Automotive Technology, Vol. 16, N° 6, pp. 1051-1055, 2015.
- Santos, A., Gerez, A., Silva, J., Genaro, P., Silva, R. and Ferreira, S. “The Influence of Forward Up Vision on Driver Visibility”. SAE Technical Paper 2018-36-0293, 2018, doi:0148-7191/2018-36-0293.
- Vehicle explaining the pillar and the vehicle in the intersections pictures (page 1) were extracted on site www.divingtest-tips.biz : Accessed in May/2017.
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice, “Driver Selected Seat Position,” SAE Standard J1517, Rev. Feb. 2009.
- GCIE - Global Cars Manufactures Information Exchange Group , “Package Drawing Exchange”. Detroit, Rev. July 2017.
- General Motors - Experimental Campus picture, search realized on Google Earth and available on site: https://www.google.com.br/maps/search/general+motors+s%C3%A3o+caetano+do+sul/@-23.6126576,-46.5584102,360m/data=!3m1!1e3. Accessed in May/2017.
- ECE R125 , “Motor Vehicles With Regard to the Forward Field of Vision of the Motor Vehicle Driver - Forward Field of Vision of the Motor Vehicle Driver”, Rev. Aug 2013.
- Silva, S.C.; Monteiro, W.D. Levantamento do perfil antropométrico da população brasileira usuária do Transporte aéreo nacional: projeto conhecer. Relatório de atividades de pesquisa - Agência Nacional de Aviação Civil, Superintendência de Segurança Operacional, Gerência de fatores Humanos em Aviação e Medicina de Aviação, 2009.
- Woyna, Lars . “Fahrerzentrierter Kriterienkatalog zur Außensichtbeurteilung im PKW” (Driver-centered criteria catalog for external visibility in cars). Germany, Jun/2014, ISSN 2365-5127. [Online-Edition: https://doi.org/10.1007/s41104-017-0023-7]