This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Commercial vehicle pedal feeling comfort ranges definition
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 13, 2020 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The brake pedal is the brake system component that the driver fundamentally has contact and through its action wait the response of the whole system. Each OEM defines during vehicle conceptualization the behavior of brake pedal that characterizes the pedal feel that in general reflects not only the characteristic from that vehicle but also from the entire brand.
Technically, the term known as Pedal Feel means the relation between the force applied on the pedal, the pedal travel and the deceleration achieved by the vehicle. Such relation curves are also analyzed in conjunction with objective analysis sheets where the vehicle brake behavior is analyzed in test track considering different deceleration conditions, force and pedal travel.
On technical literature, it is possible to find some data and studies considering the hydraulic brakes behavior. However, for pneumatic brake systems, the pedal feel theoretical study is not usual, where is normally used for these developments, exclusively the subjective evaluation which become necessary to have more specialists to define the brake pedal behavior.
Throughout this article will be revised the characteristics concepts of brake pedal and what impact in pedal feel in pneumatic brake systems. Vehicular measurements will be also presented which provided important information on comfort curve definition of commercial vehicles pedal feel, correlating these measurements with subjective analysis and also considering technologies like ABS and EBS. Such study creates a methodology with objective parameters for the future vehicles to be developed by the brand.
CitationBolognesi Prado, W., Faria Iombriller, S., Rodrigues da Silva, M., and Renato Oliveira, L., "Commercial vehicle pedal feeling comfort ranges definition," SAE Technical Paper 2019-36-0016, 2020, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-36-0016.
- BASCH , R.H. , SANDERS , P. , HARTSOCK , D. , and EVANS , C. Correlation of Lining Properties with Brake Pedal Feel SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2602 2002 10.4271/2002-01-2602
- PEREIRA , J. A. A. New Fiesta: Brake Pedal Feeling Development to Improve Customer Satisfaction SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3598 2003 10.4271/2003-01-3598
- ANTANAITIS , D. , NISONGER , R. and RIEFE , M. Prediction of Brake System Performance during Race Track/High Energy Driving Conditions with Integrated Vehicle Dynamics and Neural-Network Subsystem Models SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0860 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0860
- DAY , A.J. , HO , H. P. , HUSSAIN , K. and JOHNSTONE , A. Brake System Simulation to Predict Brake Pedal Feel in a Passenger Car Technical Paper 2009-01-3043 2009 10.4271/2009-01-3043
- KEERTHI , M. , SHETE , S. , JADHAV , N. , NANDKEOLYAR , K. , and SONAR S. Optimization of Brake Pedal Feel and Performance for Dual Air Over Hydraulic System on Light Commercial Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1888 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1888
- ALEKSENDRIC , D. , CIROVIC , V. and SMILJANIC , D. Brake Pedal Feel Control Model SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2674 2015 10.4271/2015-01-2674
- CAMARGO , E. , FERNANDES , C. , SPRANDEL , L. , CASTRO , R. , SOUSA , R. , ROZA , L. and CIOLFI , M. Pedal Feeling Study Basis on Customer Braking Behavior SAE Technical Paper 2015-36-0006 2015 10.4271/2015-36-0006
- YANG , S. , DENG , W. , LIU , W. , LEI QIAN R.H. , SUN , W. , and GAO , J. Studies on Brake Pedal Feeling Based on a Novel Mechatronic Booster SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0014 2016 10.4271/2016-01-0014
- PAN , H. , GUO , X. , PEI , X. , and DONG , X. Modeling, Simulation and Experimental Analysis of Brake Pedal Feel for Passenger Car SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1371 2017 10.4271/2017-01-1371
- ZHANG , J. , MENG , D. , and LIU , J. Correlation of Objective and Subjective Evaluation in Automotive Brake Pedal Feel SAE Technical Paper 2018-01-1889 2018 10.4271/2018-01-1889
- EBERT D.G. and KAATZ , R. A. Objective Characterization of Vehicle Brake Feel SAE Technical Paper 940331 1994 10.4271/940331
- ASSENS , A. , MOLINA , N ; SQUADRANI , F. and LEE , H. 2018