This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Replacement of a 50cc Two-stroke Engine with an Electric Powertrain
Published January 24, 2020 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
As global regulations look to create a dramatic reduction in CO2 emission and other forms of pollution, companies with products that rely on engine technology must be ready to take on the electrification challenge. Applications that remain using two-stroke engine technology continue to exist due to their very high power density requirements. However, their history of higher pollution compared to four-stroke engines makes them a target to be regulated out of existence.
Such high power two-stroke applications include high performance off-road motorcycles. In this type of product, electrification can solve not only pollution challenges but market challenges, such as ridership and public perception. By addressing the core problems presented by the two-stroke engine and turning challenges into opportunity, a strong attraction is created to convert a two-stroke engine motorcycle to an electric vehicle.
With Automotive electric vehicle technology paving the way, the basis for cost effective electric motorcycle powertrain is explored for a 50cc off-road motorcycle application. The 50cc engine and motorcycle represent a special product where size, performance, and cost have a high sensitivity. The 50cc product also represents an area of great opportunity for the product as it is connected to the youth riding segment that establishes the future of motorcycle riding. With both strong opportunity and strong challenges, the electrification solution for a 50cc application provides broad justification for mass market adoption across the motorcycle industry.
Challenges will be presented towards a OEM level product where design change is to be minimized without compromising performance. Various challenges include system design, packaging, supply chain, product lifecycle, competition readiness, safety, and cost. Opportunities will be discussed in the context of how the electrified powertrain can create a better product for the rider and solve challenges to enable the next generation of motorcycling. These opportunities include manufacturing advantages, environmental harmony, and new features.
CitationBeeker, J., "Replacement of a 50cc Two-stroke Engine with an Electric Powertrain," SAE Technical Paper 2019-32-0623, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 10]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 11]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 12]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 13]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 14]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 15]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 16]|
- “Five Trends That Will Reshape the Auto Industry by 2030”. Buisinesswire, 12 May, 2017, https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20170512005536/en/Trends-Reshape-Auto-Industry-2030---Research
- Petrany, Mate . “Volvo Won't Develop a New Generation of Gas Engines”. Roadandtrack, 23 Feb.2018, https://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/car-technology/a18658854/volvo-wont-develop-a-new-generation-of-gas-engines/
- Silerstein, Stuart . “California Throttles Down Pollution from Small Engines”. Fairwaring. 14 Nov. 2017. https://www.fairwarning.org/2017/11/california-rules-curb-pollution-leaf-blowers-lawn-mowers-clears-final-hurdle/
- “Public Hear to Consider Proposed Amendments to the Red Sticker Program for Off-Highway Recreational Vehicles”. Govdelivery. 5 Mar. 2019. https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts/CARB/bulletins/2334018
- “Position Statements”. American Motorcyclist. 27 May, 2019. http://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/About-The-AMA/AMA-Board-of-Directors/Position-Statements
- American Motorcyclist Association. 2019 AMA Racing 2019 Rulebook. American Motorcyclist Association, 2019. pp. 28-34.
- Cannet, Don . “V4R”. Cycleworld Issue 1 2019. pp. 66-73. Print
- Waheed, Adam . “2019 Ducati Desmosedici GP19 MotoGP First Look”. Motorcyclist. 19 Jan. 2019. https://www.motorcyclistonline.com/2019-ducati-desmosedicigp19-motogp-first-look/
- Alternative Fuels Data Center. “Fuel Properties Comparison”. 29 Oct. 2014. https://afdc.energy.gov/fuels/fuel_comparison_chart.pdf
- J.M.K.C. Donev et al. “Two stroke engine” Energy Education. 3 Sep. 2018. https://energyeducation.ca/encyclopedia/Two_stroke_engine
- “Electric Motor”. Wikipedia, 27 May 2019, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_motor
- “Ownership Advantage”. Zeromotorcycles. 27 May 2019. https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/advantages/
- “The 2019 CB1000R”. Honda. 27 May 2019. https://powersports.honda.com/2019/cb1000rabs.aspx
- “Zero SR/F”. Zeromotorcycles. 27 May 2019. https://www.zeromotorcycles.com/zero-srf/
- “Panigale V4 S Corse”. Ducati, 27 May 2019, https://www.ducati.com/us/en/bikes/panigale/panigale-v4
- “The Lightning LS-218”. Lightningmotorcycle, 27 May 2019, http://lightningmotorcycle.com
- “2019 CRF250R”. Honda. 7 Aug. 2019. https://powersports.honda.com/off-road/competition/crf250r?year=2019
- Blain, Loz . “Alta Motors Redshift electric motorcycles get slightly quicker. way cheaper for 2018”. Newatlas, 21 Jan. 2018. https://newatlas.com/alta-motors-redshift-mx-ex-sm-prices-2018/53064/
- Oliver, Lance . “Electric motorcycles still banned from top level of amateur motocross”. Revzilla. 4 Apr. 2018. https://www.revzilla.com/common-tread/electric-motorcycles-still-banned-from-the-top-level-of-amateur-motocross
- “American Motorcyclist Association unveils new format for AMA Congress”. Americanmotorcyclist. 11 Dec. 2018. https://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Home/AMA-News-And-Press-Releases/american-motorcyclist-association-unveils-new-format-for-ama-congress-1
- Pradhan, Chinmaya . “Types of Motors used in EVs and why BLDC Motors are widely used”. Electricvehicles, 14 Mar. 2019. https://electricvehicles.in/types-of-motors-used-in-evs-and-why-bldc-motors-are-widely-used/
- “Horsepower”. Wikipedia. 27 May 2019. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horsepower
- “What's the Best Battery?”. Batteryuniversity. 21 Mar. 2017. https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/archive/whats_the_best_battery
- “Energy Density”. Wikipedia. 27 May 2019. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_density
- “BU-2-15: Types of Lithiumion” Battery University. 24 Apr. 2019. https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/types_of_lithium_ion
- “Vector control (motor)”. Wikipedia. 27 May 2019. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_control_(motor)
- “Hall-Effect Rotary Position Sensors”. Honeywell, Oct. 2014. https://sensing.honeywell.com/honeywell-sensing-hall-effect-rotary-position-sensors-hrs-application-note-007057-1-en.pdf
- “Root mean Square”. Wikipedia, 27 May 2019. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_mean_square
- Johnson, Lee. “How to Calculate 3 Phase Power”, Sciencing. 12 Nov. 2018. https://sciencing.com/how-6521700-calculate-3-phase-power.html
- Atlas, Steve . “Electric Superbike Racing: Bravo Part II”, Motorcycle-usa. 10 May 2011. http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/2011/05/article/electric-superbike-racing-brammo-part-ii/
- “Fuel for Thought: AMA position, action on ethanol in fuel”. American Motorcyclist Association. 3 Jun. 2019. https://www.americanmotorcyclist.com/Home/NewsStory/fuel-for-thought-ama-position-action-on-ethanol-in-fuel