This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Influence of the Kind of Fuel Kind in the Ignition of Diesel Dual Fuel Operation with Introduced Natural Gas Combining EGR and Supercharging
Published January 24, 2020 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
A number of studies in diesel dual fuel (DDF) operation which introduces natural gas from the intake pipe and ignites it by a diesel fuel injection in the combustion chamber have been conducted using conventional diesel engines. The present study investigated the influence of the ignition fuel on engine performance, combustion characteristics, and emissions with a combination of EGR and supercharging in DDF operation. The experiments employed iso-pentanol blended fuels for the ignition. Isopentanol is a next generation bio-alcohol fuel produced from cellulosic biomass, and actual use can be expected. The experiments were conducted at two CNG supply rates, 0% (ordinary diesel operation) and at a 40±4% (DDF operation) energy basis, and with EGR rates varied from 0 to 26%. The boost pressure was set at two conditions, 100 kPa (naturally aspirated, N/A) and 120 kPa (supercharged, S/C) with a supercharger. Four kinds of ignition fuels were used, JIS No.2 diesel fuel as a reference, neat methyl laurate (LME) which is a major component of coconut oil biodiesel, and two iso-pentanol blended fuels with 30% mass ratios, DiP30 (70% diesel and 30% iso-pentanol) and LiP30 (70% LME and 30% iso-pentanol). The results showed that regardless of the ignition fuel, the DDF operation with EGR and also supercharging resulted in substantial reductions in NOx and smoke emissions. However, the brake thermal efficiency decreased with increasing EGR rates, and with much longer ignition delays this tendency was more pronounced for the two iso-pentanol blends.
CitationYoshimoto, Y., Kinoshita, E., and Otaka, T., "Influence of the Kind of Fuel Kind in the Ignition of Diesel Dual Fuel Operation with Introduced Natural Gas Combining EGR and Supercharging," SAE Technical Paper 2019-32-0581, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Mizushima, N., Ito, S., Kusaka, J. and Daisho, Y. , “Improvement of combustion in a dual fuel natural gas engine with half the number of cylinders,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1938, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-1938.
- Ogawa, H., Miyamoto, N., Li, C., Nakazawa, S. and Akao, K. , “Smokeless and low NOx combustion in a dual-fuel diesel engine with induced natural gas as the main fuel,” Int. J. Engine Research 4(1):1-9, 2003, https://doi.org/10.1177/146808740300400101.
- Selim, M. Y. E. , “A study of some combustion characteristics of dual fuel engine using EGR,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0766, 2003, https://doi.org/10.4271/2003-01-0766.
- Hamasaki, K., Kinoshita, E., Shimotsuchibashi, O. and Ueda, Y. , “Combustion characteristics of dual fuel diesel engines with biodiesel as an ignition fuel (1st Report, Investigation for CNG used as a main fuel),” Trans. of JSME, Series B, 73(732):1731-1736, 2007, https://doi.org/10.1299/kikaib.73.1731 (in Japanese).
- Srinivasan, K. K., Krishnan, S. R., Qi, Y., Midkiff, K. C. and Yang, H. , “Analysis of diesel pilot-ignited natural gas low-temperature combustion with hot exhaust gas recirculation,” Combust. Sci. and Technol. 179(9):1737-1776, 2007, doi: 10.1080/00102200701259882.
- Papagiannakis, R. G., Hountalas, D. T., Rakopoulos, C. D. and Rakopoulos, D. C. , “Combustion and performance characteristics of a DI diesel engine operating from low to high natural gas supplement ratios at various operating conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1392, 2008, https://doi.org/10.4271/2008-01-1392.
- Aroonsrisopon, T., Salad, M., Wirojsakunchai, E., Wannatong, K., Siangsanorh, S. and Akarapanjavit, N. , “Injection strategies for operational improvement of diesel dual fuel engines under low load conditions,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1855, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-18558.
- Kinoshita, E., Ueda, Y. and Yoshimoto, Y. , “Combustion characteristics of a dual fuel diesel engine with coconut oil methyl ester as an ignition fuel,” Trans. of JSME, Series B, 75(756):1706-1711, 2009, https://doi.org/10.1299/kikaib.75.756_1706 (in Japanese).
- Tomita, E., Harada, Y., Kawahara, N. and Sakane, A. , “Effect of EGR on combustion and exhaust emissions in supercharged dual-fuel natural gas engine ignited with diesel fuel,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1832, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1832.
- Wannatong, K., Akarapanyavit, N., Siengsanorh, S., Aroonsrisopon, T. and Chanchaona, S. , “New diesel dual fuel concepts: part load improvement,” SAE Technical Paper , 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1797.
- Yoshimoto, Y., Kaneko, K. and Kinoshita, E. , “Combustion characteristics of a dual fuel diesel engine with CNG as the main fuel (Study for methyl oleate used as an ignition fuel),” Trans. of JSME, Series B, 76(765):916-923, 2010, https://doi.org/10.1299/kikaib.76.765_916 (in Japanese).
- Azimov, U., Tomita, E. and Kawahara, N. , “Ignition, combustion and exhaust emission characteristics of micro-pilot ignited dual-fuel engine operated under PREMIER combustion mode,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1764, 2011, https://doi.org/10.4271/2011-01-1764.
- Yoshimoto, Y. and Kinoshita, E. , “Combustion characteristics of a dual fuel diesel engine with natural gas (influence of cetane number of ignition fuel),” ASME, Power 2011-55362, 2011, doi: 10.1115/POWER2011-55362.
- Abdelaal, M. M. and Hegab, A. H. , “Combustion and emission characteristics of a natural gas-fueled diesel engine with EGR,” Energy Conversion and Management, 64:301-312, 2012, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2012.05.021.
- Taniguchi, S., Masubuchi, M., Kitano, K. and Mogi, K. , “Feasibility study of exhaust emissions in a natural gas diesel dual fuel (DDF) engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1649, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1649.
- Yoshimoto, Y., Kinoshita, E., Luge, S. and Ohmura, T. , “Combustion characteristics of a dual fuel diesel engine with natural gas (lower limit of cetane number for ignition of the fuel),” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 5(3):1165-1173, 2012, https://doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1690.
- Yoshimoto, Y. and Kinoshita, E. , “Influence of intake air dilution with N2 or CO2 gases on the combustion characteristics of a dual fuel diesel engine with natural gas,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-2691, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-01-2691.
- Karabektas, M., Ergen, G. and Hosoz, M. , “The effects of using diethylether as additive on the performance and emissions of a diesel engine fuelled with CNG,” Fuel 115:855-860, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2012.12.062.
- Paul, A., Panua, R. S., Debroy, D. and Bose, P. K. , “Effect of compressed natural gas dual fuel operation with diesel and Pongamia pinnata methyl ester (PPME) as pilot fuels on performance and emission characteristics of a CI (compression ignition) engine,” Energy 68:495-509, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.energy.2014.03.026.
- Li, W., Liu, Z., Wang, Z. and Dou, H. , “Experimental and theoretical analysis of effects of atomic, diatomic and polyatomic inert gases in air and EGR on mixture properties, combustion, thermal efficiency and NOx emissions of a pilot-ignited NG engine,” Energy Conversion and Management 105:1082-1095, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2015.08.052.
- Ogawa, H., Zhao, P., Kato, T. and Shibata, G. , “Improvement of combustion and emissions in a dual fuel compression ignition engine with natural gas as the main fuel,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0863, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0863.
- Yang, B., Xi, C., Wei, X., Zeng, K. and Lai, M. C. , “Parametric investigation of natural gas port injection and diesel pilot injection on the combustion and emissions of a turbocharged common rail dual-fuel engine at low load,” Applied Energy 143:130-137, 2015, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.01.037.
- Aksu, C., Kawahara, N., Tsuboi, K., Kondo, M. and Tomita, E. , “Extension of PREMIER combustion operation range using split micro pilot fuel injection in a dual fuel natural gas compression ignition engine: A performance-based and visual investigation,” Fuel 185:243-253, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2016.07.120.
- Guerry, E. S., Raihan, M. S., Srinivasan, K. K., Krishnan, S. R. and Sohail, A. , “Injection timing effects on partially premixed diesel-methane dual fuel low temperature combustion,” Applied Energy 162:99-113, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2015.10.085.
- Ogawa, H., Shibata, G., Goto, J. and Jiang, L. , “Performance improvements in a natural gas dual fuel compression ignition engine with 250 MPa pilot injection of diesel fuel as an ignition source,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-2306, 2016, https://doi.org/10.4271/2016-01-2306.
- Wang, Z., Zhao, Z., Wang, D., Tan, M., Han, Y., Liu, Z. and Dou, H. , “Impact of pilot diesel ignition mode on combustion and emissions characteristics of a diesel/natural gas dual fuel heavy-duty engine,” Fuel 167:248-256, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2015.11.077.
- Wei, L. and Geng, P. , “A review on natural gas/diesel dual fuel combustion, emissions and performance,” Fuel Processing Technology 142:264-278, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuproc.2015.09.018.
- Yoshimoto, Y., Yamada, M., Kinoshita, E. and Fushimi, K. , “Influence of supercharging on the combustion characteristics of a dual fuel diesel engine with induced natural gas,” Trans. of JSME 82(835), 2016, https://doi.org/10.1299/transjsme.15-00542 (in Japanese).
- Blasio, G. D., Belgiorno, G. and Beatrice, C. , “Effects on performances, emissions and particle size distributions of a dual fuel (methane-diesel) light-duty engine varying the compression ratio,” Applied Energy 204:726-740, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apenergy.2017.07.103.
- Çelebi, K., Uludamar, E., Tosun, E., Yıldızhan, S., Aydın, K. and Ozcanlı, M. , “Experimental and artificial neural network approach of noise and vibration characteristic of an unmodified diesel engine fuelled with conventional diesel, and biodiesel blends with natural gas addition,” Fuel 197:159-173, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuel.2017.01.113.
- Iorio, S. D., Magno, A., Mancaruso, E. and Vaglieco, B. M. , “Analysis of the effects of diesel/methane dual fuel combustion on nitrogen oxides and particle formation through optical investigation in a real engine,” Fuel Processing Technology 159:200-210, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fuproc.2017.01.009.
- Yoshimoto, Y., Kinoshita, E. and Otaka, T. , “Influence of boost pressure on the combustion characteristics of a dual fuel diesel engine ignited by biofuels with natural gas,” The international symposium on diagnostics and modeling of combustion in internal combustion engines, https://doi.org/10.1299/jmsesdm.2017.9.C204.
- Yoshimoto, Y., Kinoshita, E. and Otaka, T. , “Effects of combining EGR and supercharging on the combustion characteristics of a diesel dual fuel engine with induced natural gas,” Trans. of JSME 84(867), 2018, https://doi.org/10.1299/transjsme.18-00219 (in Japanese).
- Park, J. S. and Terao, H. , “Performance characteristics of a biogas cogeneration system using supercharging together with EGR,” J. of JSAM, 65(6):93-100, 2003, https://doi.org/10.11357/jsam1937.65.6_93 (in Japanese).
- Kawasaki, K. and Yamane, K. , “Engine performance and emission characteristics of dual-fuel diesel engines with biodiesel and low-calorie gas fuels,” Trans. of JSAE, 38(4):121-126, 2007, (in Japanese).
- Roy, M. M., Tomita, E., Kawahara, N., Harada, Y. and Sakane, A. , “Effect of fuel injection parameters on engine performance and emissions of a supercharged producer gas-diesel dual fuel engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1848, 2009, https://doi.org/10.4271/2009-01-1848.
- Bora, B. J., Saha, U. K., Chatterjee, S. and Veer, V. , “Effect of compression ratio on performance, combustion and emission characteristics of a dual fuel diesel engine run on raw biogas,” Energy Conversion and Management 87:1000-1009, 2014, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2014.07.080.
- Aklouche, F. Z., Loubar, K., Bentebbiche, A., Awad, S. and Tazerout, M. , “Experimental investigation of the equivalence ratio influence on combustion, performance and exhaust emissions of a dual fuel diesel engine operating on synthetic biogas fuel,” Energy Conversion and Management 152:291-299, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2017.09.050.
- Verma, S., Das, L. M., Bhatti, S. S. and Kaushik, S. C. , “A comparative exergetic performance and emission analysis of pilot diesel dual-fuel engine with biogas, CNG and hydrogen as main fuels,” Energy Conversion and Management 151:764-777, 2017, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2017.09.035.
- Yoshimoto, Y., Yamada, M., Kinoshita, E. and Otaka, T. , “Influence of supercharging on biodiesel combustion in a small single cylinder DI diesel engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-32-0733, 2015, https://doi.org/10.4271/2015-01-0733.
- Yoshimoto, Y., Enkhjargal Tserenochir, Eiji Kinoshita, and Takeshi Otaka , “Combustion Improvements by C4/C5 Bio-alcohol Isomer Blended Fuels Combined with Supercharging and EGR in a Diesel Engine,” Int. J. of Mechanical and Mechatronics Eng. 12(10):1-9, 2018, https://waset.org/publications/10009676/.
- Peralta-Yahya, P. P., and Keasling, J. D. , “Advanced biofuel production in microbes,” Biotechnology J. 5:147-162, 2010, doi:10.1002/biot.200900220.
- Ileri, E. , “Experimental study of 2-ethylhexyl nitrate effects on engine performance and exhaust emissions of a diesel engine fueled with n-butanol or 1-pentanol diesel-sunflower oil blends,” Energy Conversion and Management, 118:320-330, 2016, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.enconman.2016.04.015.
- Graboski, M.S., McCormick, R.L., Alleman, T.L., and Herring, A.M. : The Effect of Biodiesel Composition on Engine Emissions from a DDC Series 60 Diesel Engine, NREL/SR-510-31461:1-58, 2003, https://www.nrel.gov/docs/fy03osti/31461.pdf.