This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design and Development of a High-Efficiency Single Cylinder Natural Gas-Fueled Jet Ignition Engine
Published January 24, 2020 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The current energy climate has created a push toward reducing consumption of fossil fuels and lowering emissions output in power generation applications. Combined with the desire for a more distributed energy grid, there is currently a need for small displacement, high efficiency engines for use in stationary power generation. An enabling technology for achieving high efficiencies with spark ignited engines for such applications is the use of jet ignition which enables ultra-lean (λ > ~1.6) combustion via air dilution.
This paper provides a comprehensive review of the development of a 390cc, high efficiency single cylinder natural gas-fueled jet ignition engine operating ultra-lean. The engine was developed as part of the Department of Energy’s Advanced Research Projects Agency–Energy (DOE ARPA-E) GENSETS program. Design choices for minimizing friction are highlighted as well as test results showing further friction reduction through downspeeding. Extensive hardware optimization of the combustion system has been performed and results are presented for air-flow path optimization and the jet igniter. The efficiency benefits related to enleanment and downspeeding are analyzed using an efficiency loss breakdown based on the First Law of Thermodynamics. Through optimization efforts a peak brake thermal efficiency in excess of 34% was achieved, representing an increase of greater than 20% over the current state-of-the-industry for comparably sized CNG engines.
- Josh Pihl - Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- Melanie Moses-Debusk - Oak Ridge National Laboratory
- David Tew - Advanced Research Projects Agency-Energy (ARPA-E), United St
- Gokul Vishwanathan - Booz Allen Hamilton
- Nathan Peters - MAHLE Powertrain
- Sai Krishna Pothuraju Subramanyam - MAHLE Powertrain
- Michael Bunce - MAHLE Powertrain
- Hugh Blaxill - MAHLE Powertrain
CitationPeters, N., Subramanyam, S., Bunce, M., Blaxill, H. et al., "Design and Development of a High-Efficiency Single Cylinder Natural Gas-Fueled Jet Ignition Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2019-32-0565, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
- GENSETS https://arpa-e-foa.energy.gov/Default.aspx?Archive=1#FoaIda31af03c-1574-45b2-aca4-923e9bd48c29
- Koga , H. and Kiura , T. A Study of Controlled Auto-Ignition in Small Natural Gas Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 6 4 2133 2139 2013 https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-32-9098
- Quader , A. Lean Combustion and the Misfire Limit in Spark Ignition Engines SAE Technical Paper 741055 1974 10.4271/741055
- Husted , H. , Piock , W. , and Ramsay , G. Fuel Efficiency Improvements from Lean, Stratified Combustion with a Solenoid Injector SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 1359 1366 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1485
- Germane , G. , Wood , C. , and Hess , C. Lean Combustion in Spark-Ignited Internal Combustion Engines - A Review SAE Technical Paper 831694 1983 10.4271/831694.
- Heywood , J. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill 1988
- Yamamoto , H. Investigation on Relationship Between Thermal Efficiency and NOx Formation in Ultra-Lean Combustion SAE Journal Paper JSAE 9938083 1999
- Dober , G. G. , Watson , H. C. Quasi-Dimensional and CFD Modelling of Turbulent and Chemical Flame Enhancement in an Ultra Lean Burn S.I. Engine Modeling of SI Engines SP-1511 2000
- Ward , M. High-Energy Spark-Flow Coupling in an IC Engine for Ultra-Lean and High EGR Mixtures SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0548 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0548
- Qiao , A. and Wu , X. Research on the New Ignition Control System of Lean-and Fast-Burn SI Engines SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-1721 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1721
- Ricardo , H. Recent Research Work on the Internal-Combustion Engine SAE Technical Paper 220001 1922 10.4271/220001
- Gussak , L. , Karpov , V. , and Tikhonov , Y. The Application of Lag-Process in Prechamber Engines SAE Technical Paper 790692 1979 10.4271/790692
- Robinet , C. , Higelin , P. , Moreau , B. , Pajot , O. A New Firing Concept for Internal Combustion Engines: 'I'APIR SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0621 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0621
- Murase , E. , Ono , S. , Hanada , K. , and Oppenheim , A. Pulsed Combustion Jet Ignition in Lean Mixtures SAE Technical Paper 942048 1994 10.4271/942048
- Toulson , E. , Schock , H. , and Attard , W. A Review of Pre-Chamber Initiated Jet Ignition Combustion Systems SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2263 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2263
- Date , T. , Yagi , S. Research and Development of Honda CVCC Engine SAE Technical Paper 740605 1974 10.4271/740605
- Attard , W. , Fraser , N. , Parsons , P. , and Toulson , E. A Turbulent Jet Ignition Pre-Chamber Combustion System for Large Fuel Economy Improvements in a Modern Vehicle Powertrain SAE Int. J. Engines 3 2 20 37 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1457
- Attard , W. , Kohn , J. , Parsons , P. Ignition Energy Development for a Spark Initiated Combustion System Capable of High Load, High Efficiency and Near Zero NOx Emissions SAE Journal Paper JSAE 20109088 2010
- Attard , W. and Blaxill , H. A Gasoline Fueled Pre-Chamber Jet Ignition Combustion System at Unthrottled Conditions SAE Int. J. Engines 5 2 315 329 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0386
- Attard , W. and Blaxill , H. A Lean Burn Gasoline Fueled Pre-Chamber Jet Ignition Combustion System Achieving High Efficiency and Low NOx at Part Load SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1146 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1146.
- Peters , N. , Bunce , M. , Blaxill , H. The Impact of Engine Displacement on Efficiency Loss Pathways in a Highly Dilute Jet Ignition Engine SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0330 2019
- Biswas , S. , Tanvir , S. , Wang , H. , Qiao , L. On ignition mechanisms of premixed CH4/air and H2/air using a hot turbulent jet generated by pre-chamber combustion Appl. Therm. Eng. 106 925 937 2016
- Mastorakos , E. , Allison , P. , Giusti , A. , De Oliveira , P. et al. Fundamental Aspects of Jet Ignition for Natural Gas Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 10 5 2429 2438 2017
- Bassett , M. , Thatcher , I. , Bisordi , A. , Hall , J. et al. Design of a Dedicated Range Extender Engine SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0862 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0862
- Bassett , M. , Hall , J. , OudeNijeweme , D. , Darkes , D. The Development of a Dedicated Range Extender Engine SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1002 2012 doi.org/10.4271/2012-01-1002
- Toulson , E. 2009
- Amsden , A. A. 1997
- Bunce , M. , Blaxill , H. , Kulatilaka , W. , and Jiang , N. The Effects of Turbulent Jet Characteristics on Engine Performance Using a Pre-Chamber Combustor SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1195 2014 10.4271/2014-01-1195