This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Hydrogen Powered Fuel Cell e-Snowmobiles
Published January 24, 2020 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In the highly innovative and holistic flagship project HySnow (Decarbonisation of Winter Tourism by Hydrogen Powered Fuel Cell Snowmobiles), funded by the Austrian Climate and Energy Fund, the decarbonization of winter tourism is being demonstrated. Within this project, two prototype e-snowmobiles have been developed including the adaption of a Polymer Electrolyte Membrane Fuel Cell (PEM-FC) system for the low temperature and high-performance targets and the integration of the drivetrain into the vehicle.
In this paper the drivetrain development process of the prototype e-snowmobiles will be presented with the aim to derive specifications for the drivetrain components as PEM-FC system, hydrogen storage system, electric drive, battery and power electronics. Based on typical use cases for snowmobiles overall vehicle specifications and requirements are defined. Associated driving cycles are investigated and used as input for the development process. Subsequently, analyses regarding possible drivetrain topologies based on technical and economical vehicle requirements are carried out. In parallel, vehicle implementation concepts based on standardized development processes are performed. The development and the design process are verified by verification and optimization loops.
The results define technical specifications of the PEM-FC, the battery along with the required hydrogen tank; to give an optimum concerning required drivetrain efficiency, and hence driving range as well as vehicle space and weight. It is expected that the hydrogen powered e-snowmobiles with high power, drivability, driving fun, and the lack of noise emission, pollutants, and GHG will convince the users of the concept benefits.
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Diagnostic Trouble Code Definitions|
|Technical Paper||High Performance Fuel Cell Sedan|
|Journal Article||Development Progress of the Toyota Fuel Cell Hybrid Vehicle|
CitationPertl, P., Aggarwal, M., Trattner, A., Hinterberger, W. et al., "Development of Hydrogen Powered Fuel Cell e-Snowmobiles," SAE Technical Paper 2019-32-0555, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Arbesser, M., et.al. , "Die ökonomische Bedeutung des Wintersports in Österreich. Studie im Auftrag der Initiative „Netzwerk Winter“, SpEA Sports Econ Austria Institut für Sportökonomie, IHS Institut für Höhere Studien, July 2008
- Sartory, M., Justl, M., Salman, P., Trattner, A. et al. , "Modular Concept of a Cost-Effective and Efficient On-Site Hydrogen Production Solution," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1287, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-1287.
- Brandstätter, S., Striednig, M., Aldrian, D., Trattner, A. et al. , "Highly Integrated Fuel Cell Analysis Infrastructure for Advanced Research Topics," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1180, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-1180.
- BMWFJ , „Anzahl der Skigebiete in Österreich und der schneesicheren Gebiete“, Statista - Das Statistik-Portal, retrieved from https://de.statista.com/statistik/daten/studie/167572/umfrage/anzahl-der-skigebiete-in-oesterreich-und-schneesicherer-gebiete/ (11.09.2018)
- Klell, M., Eichlseder, H., Trattner, A. , "Wasserstoff in der Fahrzeugtechnik,“ Springer-Verlag, ISBN 978-3-658-20447-1
- Salman, P., Wallnöfer-Ogris, E., Sartory, M., Trattner, A. et al. , "Hydrogen-Powered Fuel Cell Range Extender Vehicle - Long Driving Range with Zero-Emissions," SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1185, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-1185.
- Nagasubramanian, G. Journal of Applied Electrochemistry, 2001, 31: 99. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1004113825283
- Hyundai , “Hyundai ix35 Hydrogen Fuel Cell Vehicle”, retrieved from http://www.hyundai.co.uk/about-us/environment/hydrogen-fuel-cell, (14.03.2019)
- Toyota , 2019 Toyota Mirai Fuel Cell Electric Vehicle, Retrieved from https://ssl.toyota.com/mirai/fcv.html, (23.05.2019)
- Honda , “Clarity Plug-In Hybrid”, Retrieved from https://automobiles.honda.com/clarity-plug-in-hybrid, (23.05.2019)
- Queen's Fuel Cell Team , “Snowmobile”, Retrieved from http://qfct.ca/?page_id=161, (23.05.2019)
- Queen's Fuel Cell Team , “Clean Snowmobile”, Retrieved from http://www.mtukrc.org/download/queens/queens_ze_oral_presentation_2013.pdf, (23.05.2019)
- SAE , “Clean Snowmobile Challenge”, Retrieved from https://www.saecleansnowmobile.com/, (23.05.2019)
- Covi, J. , “Fuel Cell Powered Snowmobile Concept Sleek”, Retrieved from http://earthtechling.com/2011/05/fuel-cell-powered-snowmobile-concept-sleek/ (23.05.2019)
- Williamson, S. , “Energy Management Strategies for Electric and Plug-in Hybrid Electric Vehicles”, Springer, ISBN: 978-1-4614-7710-5 (Print) 978-1-4614-7711-2 (Online)
- Rabbani, A., Rokni, M. , “Dynamic characteristics of an automotive fuel cell system for transitory load changes”, Sustainable Energy Technologies and Assessments, Volume 1, Pages 34–43, Elsevier, March 2013
- Proff, H. , „Herausforderungen für das Automotive Engineering & Management: Technische und betriebswirtschaftliche Ansätze“, Springer-Verlag Wiesbaden, ISBN 978-3-658-01817-7, 2013