This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of Cycle-to-Cycle Variation in a Port Injection Gasoline Engine by Simultaneous Measurement of Time Resolved PIV and PLIF
Published January 24, 2020 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Cycle-to-cycle variation (CCV) of combustion in low load operation is a factor that may cause various problems in engine operation. Variable valve timing and variable ignition timing are commonly used as a means to reduce this variation. However, due to mountability and cost constraints, these methods are not feasible for use in motorcycle engines. Therefore, development of an engine with minimal CCV without utilizing complicated mechanisms or electronic control is required. CCV of combustion may be caused by fluctuations in in-cylinder flow, air-fuel mixture, temperature, residual gas and ignition energy. In this study, the relationship between CCV of combustion, in-cylinder flow fluctuation and air-fuel mixture fluctuation was the primary focus. In order to evaluate in-cylinder flow fluctuation, Time Resolved Particle Image Velocimetry (TR-PIV) technique was utilized. In addition, Planar Laser Induced Fluorescence (PLIF) technique was used to measure spatial distribution of the mixture. These two visualization techniques were used together to measure continuous combustion cycles. The fluctuation of net IMEP can be explained by the fluctuation of Turbulence Kinetic Energy (TKE) and fuel concentration. In most cycles, net IMEP was correlated with TKE. In the remaining cycles, net IMEP was correlated with fuel concentration. The contribution of each factor towards net IMEP is to be discussed. It has been also confirmed that TKE fluctuation is caused by fluctuation in the tumble vortex structure, as shown in the authors' previous study  .
CitationHARAMIISHI, S., WATANABE, T., IIDA, M., HOKIMOTO, S. et al., "Analysis of Cycle-to-Cycle Variation in a Port Injection Gasoline Engine by Simultaneous Measurement of Time Resolved PIV and PLIF," SAE Technical Paper 2019-32-0552, 2020.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Müller , R. H. S. , Böhm , B. , Gleißner , M. , Grzeszik . R. , Arndt , S. and Dreizler , A. Flow field measurement in an optically accessible, direct-injection spray-guided internal combustion engine using high-speed PIV Experimental Fluids 48 2 2010 281 290
- Hokimoto , S. , Kuboyama , T. , Moriyoshi , Y. , Iida , M. and Watanabe , T. Analyses of cycle-to-cycle variation of combustion and in-cylinder flow in a port injection gasoline engine using PIV and PLIF techniques SAE technical paper 2017 2017-01-2213
- Sholes , R. K. , Kawashima , J. and Mori S. Analysis of in-cylinder gas flow and its cyclic variability using PIV Transactions of the Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 36 6 2005 25 30
- Zeng , W. , Sjoberg , M. and Reuss , D. Using PIV measurements to determine the role of the in-cylinder flow field for stratified DISI engine combustion SAE International Journal of Engines 7 2 2014 615 632 10.4271/2014-01-1237
- Fontanesi , S. , d'Adamo , A. and Rutland , J. C. Large- eddy simulation analysis of spark configuration effect on cycle-to-cycle variability of combustion and knock International Journal of Engine Research 16 3 2015 403 418
- Peterson , B. , Reuss , L. D. and Sick , V. High-speed imaging analysis of misfires in a spray-guided direct injection engine Proceedings on the Combustion Institute 33 2 2011 3089 3096
- Peterson , B. , Reuss , L. D. and Sick , V. On the ignition and flame development in a spray-guided direct-injection spark-ignition engine Combustion and Flame 161 1 2014 240 255
- The Visualization Society of Japan PIV Handbook 2013 Morikita Publishing Co., Ltd Japanese
- Keane , D. R. and Adrian , J. R. Optimization of particle image velocimeters: II multiple pulsed systems Measurement Science and Technology 2 1991 963 974
- The Visualization Society of Japan 2015
- Kamimoto , T. , Yagita , M. , Moriyoshi , Y. , Kobayashi , N. and Morita , H. An experimental study of in-cylinder air flow with a transparent cylinder engine Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series B 53 492 1987 2686 2693
- Okura , Y. , Higuchi , K. , Urata , Y. , Someya , S. and Tanahashi , M. Measurement of in-cylinder turbulence in an internal combustion engine using high speed particle image velocimetry Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series B 79 806 2013 319 332
- Hokimoto , S. , Kuboyama , T. , Moriyoshi , Y. , Haramiishi , S. , Watanabe , T. and Iida , M. Analyses of cycle-to-cycle variation of combustion at low load condition by using high-speed PIV and direct photographing of early flame propagation Transactions of the Japan Society of Mechanical Engineers, Series B 84 865 2018 18 00051
- Fujikawa , T. , Hattori , Y. and Akihama , K. Quantitative 2-D Fuel Distribution Measurements in as SI Engine Using Laser-Induced Fluorescence with Suitable Combination of Fluorescence Tracer and Excitation Wavelength SAE Technical Paper 972944 1997 10.4271/972944.
- Fujikawa , T. , Hattori , Y. , Koike , M. , Akihama , K. , Kobayashi , T. and Matsushita , S. Quantitave 2-D Fuel Distribution Measurements in a Direct-Injection Gasoline Engine Using Laser-Induced Fluorescence Technique JSME International Journal, Series B 42 4 760 767 1999
- Modica , V. , Morin , C. and Guibert , P. 3 - Pentanone PLIF at elevated temperatures and pressure: measurements and modeling Journal of Applied Physics B 87 1 193 204 2007
- Koch , D., J. and Hanson , K., R. Temperature and excitation wavelength dependencies of 3-pentanone absorption and fluorescence for PLIF applications Journal of Applied Physics B 76 3 319 324 2003
- Kim , S. , Yan , Y. , Nouri , M. J. and Arcoumanis , C. Effects of intake flow and coolant temperature on the spatial fuel distribution in a direct-injection gasoline engine by PLIF technique Fuel 106 737 748 2013