This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fabrication and Wear Characteristics Basalt Fiber Reinforced Polypropylene Matrix Composites
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 21, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: NuGen Summit
Generally brake pads are manufacturing by use of asbestos materials, that materials are chemically harmful and toxic nature to affect the human health. The present investigation is to fabricates polypropylene composites with mixing constant volume [5 vol.%] of alumina nano particles and different volume percentages [0%, 5%, 10% & 15%] of basalt Fiber by hand layup compression technique. The wear characteristics of polypropylene matrix composites were tested by dry sliding condition. The test was carried out pin on disc apparatus, configured with hardened steel counter-face at elevated temperature. The load was applied 10 N to 30 N with the interval of 10 N and varying of sliding speed 300 rpm to 900 rpm with the interval of 300 rpm for the time period of 0-180 sec. The wear rate was decreases with addition of alumina nano particle and the frictional force was increases due to basalt Fiber content present in the composites. The co-efficient of friction was increases 0.1 to 0.66 under normal loading condition.
CitationM, K., T, T., R, A., and T, V., "Fabrication and Wear Characteristics Basalt Fiber Reinforced Polypropylene Matrix Composites," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-2570, 2019.
- Friedrich, K. , “Polymer Composites for Tribological Applications,” Advanced Industrial and Engineering Polymer Research 1:3-39, 2018.
- Obot, M.U., Yawas, D.S., and Aku, S.Y. , “Development of an Abrasive Material Using Periwinkle Shells,” Journal of King Saud University, Engineering Sciences 29:284-228, 2017.
- Yawas, D.S., Aku, S.Y., and Amaren, S.G. , Journal of King Saud University, Engineering Sciences 28:103-109, 2016.
- Pujari, S. and Srikiran, S. , “Experimental Investigations on Wear Properties of Palm Kernel Reinforced Composites for Brake Pad Applications,” Defence Technology 1-5, 2018.
- Wang, Y. and Wu, H. , “Microstructure of Friction Surface Developed on Carbon Fibre Reinforced Carbon-Silicon Carbide (Cf/C-SiC),” Journal of the European Ceramic Society 32:3509-3519, 2012.
- Leatherbarrow, A. and Wu, H. , “Mechanical Behaviour of the Constituents inside Carbon-Fibre/Carbon-Silicon Carbide Composites Characterised by Nano-Indentation,” Journal of the European Ceramic Society 32:579-588, 2012.
- Omrani, E., Menezes, P.L., and Rohatgi, P.K. , “State of the Art on Tribological behavior of Polymer Matrix Composites Reinforced with Natural Fibers in the Green Materials World,” Engineering Science and Technology, an International Journal 19:717-736, 2016.
- Pearson, M., Donchev, T., and Salazar, J. , “Long-Term Behaviour of Prestressed Basalt Fibre Reinforced Polymer Bars,” Procedia Engineering 54:261-269, 2013.
- Soares, B., Preto, R., Sousa, L., and Reis, L. , “Mechanical behavior of Basalt Fibers in a Basalt-UP Composite,” Procedia Structural Integrity 1:082-089, 2016.
- Yallew, T.B., Kumar, P., and Singh, I. , “Sliding Wear Properties of Jute Fabric Reinforced Polypropylene Composites,” Procedia Engineering 97:402-411, 2014.