This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Mold in Color Diamond White ASA Material for Automotive Exterior Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 21, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: NuGen Summit
In this paper, mold in color diamond white ASA material has been explored for front bumper grill, fender arch extension, claddings and hinge cover applications. Other than aesthetic requirements, these parts have precise fitment requirement under sun load condition in real world usage profile. Structural durability of the design was validated by virtual engineering. Part design and material combinations with better tooling design iterations were analyzed by using mold flow analysis. Complete product performances were validated for predefined key test metrics such as structural durability, thermal aging, cold impact, scratch resistance, and weathering criteria. This part met required specification. This mold in color ASA material-based parts has various benefits such as environmentally friendly manufacturing by eliminating environmental issues of coating, easily recycled, and faster part production because intended color achieved in one step during molding. Also, it lowers overall production energy footprint, less scrap with no secondary painting, and lower final part cost by eliminating secondary operations.
CitationGovindaraj, K., Balaji, K., Vimalathithan, M., Samir, G. et al., "Mold in Color Diamond White ASA Material for Automotive Exterior Application," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-2562, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-2562.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Smith, H.H. , “Method of Making a Colored Automotive Trim Product,” U.S. Patent US7005103B2.
- Bradshaw, N.F. , “Process and System for Elimination of Paint Solvent Vapors,” U.S. Patent US4620858A.
- Johnson, J.R. , “Exterior Automotive Laminate with Pressure-Sensitive Adhesive,” WO Patent WO1994009983A1.
- Takeyoshi Nishio, S. , “Development of Super Olefin Bumper for Automobiles,” SAE Technical Paper 920525, 1992, doi:10.4271/920525.
- Naito, M. , “Development of New Generation Polypropylene Material for Instrument Panel and Bumper Applications,” SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-2805, 2003, doi:10.4271/2003-01-2805.
- Sakamoto, T. , “Bumper Structure for Vehicle,” U.S. Patent US 20060157992 A1.
- Golder, M.D. , “Plastic Materials for Soft Bumper Facia,” SAE Technical Paper 910689, 1991, doi:10.4271/910689.