This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Mitigation for Edge Corrosion Protection for Automotive Bodies
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 21, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: NuGen Summit
A major challenge to automotive industry is to protect the vehicle from corrosion in varying environments with respect to different service conditions. One of the main types of corrosion that affects aesthetic look is edge corrosion on sheet metal. Mostly edge is acting as starting point of corrosion due to unprotected metal exposed to environment. Special attention needs to be given to exposed edges to protect from rust formation.
Samples were prepared as per design of experiments with respect to manufacturing process condition, material usage, and design. These samples were tested for corrosion test and painting process compatibility.
In this study effect and limitation of burr and optimum solution with respect to corrosion was evaluated and results will be discussed.
|Technical Paper||Design of Insulation Packages for Cylindrical Components|
|Aerospace Material Specification||Steel, Corrosion-Resistant (18-8) Bars, Wire and Forging Stock (Aircraft Quality)|
|Technical Paper||What's New in Phosphate Coating of Steel|
CitationBalasubramanian, J., Lalwani, R., and Kumar, V., "Mitigation for Edge Corrosion Protection for Automotive Bodies," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-2561, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-2561.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Barman, K., Ali, N., Hasnat, M.R., and Kabir, S.M.H. , “Fabrication of a Pneumatic Sheet Metal Cutting Machine, in Conference: 4th International Conference on Mechanical Engineering and Renewable Energy ICMERE-PI-108 2017, December 2017, 1-3.
- Dallin, G.W. , GalvInfo Center, Continuous Hot-Dip Galvanizing - Process and Products, November 2015, 5-8
- Bakhtiary, M., Moradian, S., and Ranjbar, Z. , “Improvement of the Edge Protection of an Automotive Electrocoating in Presence of a Prepared Epoxy-Amine Microgel,” Progress in Organic Coatings 103:2-3, November 2016.
- Yu, J. and Kim, D. , “Effects of Welding Current and Torch Position Parameters on Minimizing the Weld Porosity of Zinc-Coated Steel,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 95(1-4):551-567, 2018.
- Corrigan, V.G. and Zawacky, S.R. Cationic Microgels and Their Use in Electrodeposition (PPG Industries Ohio Inc, US5096556A, Jun 25, 1992), 1,2.
- Debnath, N.C. and Roy, P.K. , Transactions of the Institute of Metal Finishing 74(1):17, 1996.
- Debnath, N.C. , “Importance of Surface Preparation for Corrosion Protection of Automobiles,” Journal of Surface Engineered Materials and Advanced Technology 3:94-105, 2013.