This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Computerized Experimental Investigation on Performance & Exhaust Emission of Twin Cylinder Adiabatic Diesel Engine Coated with YSZ
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 21, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: NuGen Summit
The fuel consumption and performance of the Internal Combustion (IC) engine is improved by adopting concepts of an adiabatic engine. An experimental investigation for different load conditions is carried out on a water-cooled, constant-speed, twin-cylinder diesel engine. This research is intended to emphasize energy balance and emission characteristic for standard uncoated base engine and adiabatic engine. The inner walls of diesel engine combustion chamber are thermally insulated by a top coat of Metco 204NS yttria-stabilized zirconia (Y2O3ZrO2) powder (YSZ) of a thickness of 350 mm using plasma spray coating technology. The same combustion chamber is also coated with thermal barrier coating (TBC) bond coats of AMDRY 962 Nickle chromium aluminum yttria of thickness of 150 mm. The NiCrAlY powder specially designed to produce coating’s resistance to hot corrosion. The combination of this ceramic material produces excellent high-temperature thermal barrier coating (TBC) resistant to thermal cycling stresses and strains. The engine valves, engine heads, and engine pistons were thermal barrier ceramic coated and computerized experimental results were compared to the base engine. Experimental results justified TBC engine to give a better diesel engine combustion cycle analysis. The main objective of this study is to increase power and torque parameters resulting in a decrease in fuel consumption. Furthermore, the exhaust emission parameter was found to be decreased. The noise level of the adiabatic engine was found satisfactorily.
CitationGosai, D. and Gillawat, A., "Computerized Experimental Investigation on Performance & Exhaust Emission of Twin Cylinder Adiabatic Diesel Engine Coated with YSZ," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-2548, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-2548.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Modi, A.J. and Gosai, D.C. , “Experimental Analysis of Performance of Low Heat Rejection (LHR) Diesel Engine,” International Journal of Advances in Thermal Science and Engineering 1:17-25, June 2010.
- Modi, A.J. and Gosai, D.C. , “Experimental Study on Thermal Barrier Coated Diesel Engine Performance with Blends of Diesel and Palm Biodiesel,” SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3(2):246-259, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-1519.
- Modi, A.J. , “Experimental Study of Energy Balance in Thermal Barrier Coated Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0389, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0389.
- Modi, A. and Patel, D. , “Experimental Study on LHR Diesel Engine Performance with Blends of Diesel and Neem Biodiesel,” SAE Technical Paper 10.4271/2015-26-0052, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-26-0052.
- Cerit, M. and Mehmet, C. , “Temperature and Thermal Stress Analyses of a Ceramic-Coated Aluminum Alloy Piston Used in a Diesel Engine,” International Journal of Thermal Sciences 77:11-18, Mar 2014.
- Kumar, J.D., Harish, R.S., and Raja, R. , “Influence of Thermal Barrier Coating on S.I. Engine Performance,” International Journal of Engineering Research and Technology (IJERT) 2:790-795, 2013.
- Liang, L. et al. , “A G-Equation Combustion Model Incorporating Detailed Chemical Kinetics for PFI/DI SI Engine Simulations,” in Sixteenth International Multidimensional Engine Modeling User’s Group Meeting at the SAE Congress, Detroit, Michigan, USA, Apr 2, 2006.
- Rakopoulos, C.D. et al. , “Validation and Sensitivity Analysis of A Two Zone Diesel Engine Model for Combustion and Emissions Prediction,” Energy Conversion and Management 45:1471-1495, 2004.
- Raut, L.P. , “Computer Simulation of CI Engine for Diesel and Biodiesel Blends,” International Journal of Innovative Technology and Exploring Engineering (IJITEE) 3:82-87, July 2, 2013.
- Kota, S. et al. , “Computerize Simulation of S I Internal Combustion Engine,” Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering (IOSR-JMCE) 5:05-14, 2013.
- Heywood, J.B. , Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals (Tata McGraw-Hill Education Pvt Ltd, 1988).
- Reghu, V.R., Shankar, V., and Ramaswamy, P. , “Challenges in Plasma Spraying of 8%Y2O3-ZrO2 Thermal Barrier Coatings on Al Alloy Automotive Piston and Influence of Vibration and Thermal Fatigue on Coating Characteristics,” Materials Today: Proceedings 5:23927-23936, 2018.
- Karthik, A. et al. , “High Temperature Corrosion Resistance of Silicate Based Nanostructured Thermal Barrier Coatings Using Al2O3-(Y2O3) ZrO2/SiO2 Nanocomposite,” Surface and Coatings Technology 292:110-120, Apr 25, 2016.