This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of Compression Ratio for DI Diesel Engines for Better Fuel Economy
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 21, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: NuGen Summit
Fuel economy is becoming one of the key parameter as it does not only account for the profitability of commercial vehicle owner but also has impact on environment. Fuel economy gets affected from several parameters of engine such as Peak firing pressure, reduction in parasitic losses, volumetric efficiency and thermal efficiency. Compression ratio is one of key design criteria which affects most of the above mentioned parameters, which not only improve fuel efficiency but also results in improvement of emission levels.
This paper evaluates the optimization of Compression ratio and study its effect on Engine performance.
The parameters investigated in this paper include combustion bowl volume in Piston and Cylinder head gasket thickness as these are major contributing factors affecting clearance volume and in turn the compression ratio of engine. Based on the calculation results, an optimum Compression Ratio for the engine is selected. Further Engine testing carried out with selected Compression ratios and parameters such as Fuel efficiency, In-cylinder pressure, and Brake thermal efficiency and Ignition delay were compared.
CitationGavade, S., Bhargava, A., Soni, G., and Deshmukh, C., "Optimization of Compression Ratio for DI Diesel Engines for Better Fuel Economy," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-2431, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-2431.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Zhu, Y., Stobart, R., and Deng, J. , “Analysis of the Impact on Diesel Engine Fuel Economy and Emissions by Variable Compression Ratio Using GT-Power Simulation,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1113, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-1113.
- Gardner, T. and Henein, N. , “Compression Ratio Optimization in a Direct-Injection Diesel Engine: A Mathematical Model,” SAE Technical Paper 880427, 1988, doi:10.4271/880427.
- Hariram, V. and Vagesh Shangar, G.R. , “Influence of Compression Ratio on Combustion and Performance Characteristics of Direct Injection Compression Ignition Engine.”
- Heywood, J.B. , IC Engine Fundamentals (McGraw-Hill Education, 2012).
- Thipse, S.S. , Internal Combustion Engines (Delhi: Jaico Publishing House).
- Kassaby, M.E.L., Allah, M.A.N. , “Studying the Effect of Compression Ratio on an Engine Fueled with Waste Oil Produced Biodiesel/Diesel Fuel.”
- Funayama, Y., Nakajima, H., and Shimokawa, K. , “A Study on the Effects of a Higher Compression Ratio in the Combustion Chamber on Diesel Engine Performance,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-01-0722, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-01-0722.