This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aerodynamic Analysis of a Passenger Car to Reduce Drag Using Active Grill Shutter and Active Air Dam
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 21, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: NuGen Summit
Active aerodynamics can be defined as the concept of reducing drag by making real-time changes to certain devices such that it modifies the airflow around a vehicle. Using such devices also have the added advantages of improving ergonomics and performance along with aesthetics. A significant reduction in fuel consumption can also be seen when using such devices. The objective of this work is to reduce drag acting on a passenger car using the concept of active aerodynamics with grill shutters and air dams. First, analysis has been carried out on a baseline passenger car and further simulated using active grill shutters and air dams for vehicle speed ranging from 60 kmph to 120 kmph, with each active device open from 0° to 90°. The optimized model is then validated for a scaled down prototype in a wind tunnel at 80kmph. Vehicle has been modelled using SolidWorks tool and the simulation has been carried out using ANSYS Fluent. The result shows a significant drag reduction of 12.23% using active grill shutters and air dams.
CitationTandon, R., Agrewale, M., and Vora, K., "Aerodynamic Analysis of a Passenger Car to Reduce Drag Using Active Grill Shutter and Active Air Dam," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-2408, 2019.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Howell, J., Sherwin, C., Passmore, M., and Le Good, G. , “Aerodynamic Drag of a Compact SUV as Measured On-Road and in the Wind Tunnel,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0529, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-0529.
- Hucho, W.-H. , “Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles - From Fluid Mechanics to Vehicle Engineering,” Butterworth-Heinemann Ltd, 1987.
- Buscariolo, F.F., Magazoni, F., Maruyama, F.K., Alves, J.C.L. et al. , “Aerodynamic Enablers Review for Automotive Applications,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-36-0203, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-36-0203.
- Kremheller, A. , “The Aerodynamics Development of the New Nissan Qashqai,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0572, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-0572.
- Kumar, A. et.al. , “Passenger Car Front Air - Dam Design Based on Aerodynamic and Fuel Economy Simulations,” 2016.
- Christoffersen, L., Söderblom, D., Lofdahl, L., Hill, R., and Kerr, L. , “Wing-Diffuser Interaction on a Sports Car,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1433, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1433.