This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of Handling Behavior of a Passenger Vehicle after Addition of CNG Tank
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 21, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: NuGen Summit
The objective of this paper is to study the change in handling behaviour of the dual-fuel vehicle fitted with a CNG tank to that of its single fuel (gasoline) counterpart. A validated CarSim model is run through steady state and transient state handling tests before and after the addition of CNG tank. The simulation results are used to compare the handling characteristics of the CNG vehicle with the reference vehicle. Further based on these results the suspension parameters are changed to find an optimum set-up for the actual CNG vehicle.
CitationJelli, L., Budhiraja, R., Goel, A., Bakshi, D. et al., "Study of Handling Behavior of a Passenger Vehicle after Addition of CNG Tank," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-2405, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-2405.
- Gillespie, T.D. , Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics (Warrendale, PA: SAE International, 1992).
- Milliken, W.F. and Milliken, D.L. , Race Car Vehicle Dynamics (Warrendale, PA: SAE International, 1995). ISBN:978-1-56091-526-3.
- Morales, E.D. , “Sensitivity Study of Front Suspension Parameters in Elastokinematics and Handling Behaviour of Vehicle,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-36-0182, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-36-0182.
- Kinjawadekar, T., Dixit, N., Heydinger, G., Guenther, D. et al. , “Vehicle Dynamics Modeling and Validation of the 2003 Ford Expedition with ESC Using CarSim,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0452, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-0452.
- Morales, E. , “Study of Different Twist-Beam Axle Configurations in Elastokinematics and Handling Behavior of a Vehicle,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-36-0184, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-36-0184.