This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aerodynamic Analysis of Electric Passenger Car Using Wind Turbine Concept at Front End
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 21, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: NuGen Summit
Electric passenger car with floor battery usually have its front boot space empty and the space is used as additional luggage storage. This space can be utilized to capture the wind energy and generate electricity. Based on this, the objective of this work is to perform an aerodynamic analysis of an electric passenger car using wind turbine placed at the front. Initially the aerodynamic analysis of a basic electric car model is performed and further simulated using wind turbines and aerodynamic add-on-devices. The simulation is carried-out using ANSYS Fluent tool. Based on the simulation result, scaled down optimized model is fabricated and tested in wind tunnel for validation. The result shows reduction of drag coefficient by 5.9%.
CitationMendiratta, S., Sharma, S., Agrewale, M., and Vora, K., "Aerodynamic Analysis of Electric Passenger Car Using Wind Turbine Concept at Front End," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-2396, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-2396.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Palin , R. , Hooge , A. , Johnson , S. , Duncan , B. et al. The Aerodynamic Development of the Tesla Model S - Part 1: Overview SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0177 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0177
- Tortosa , N. and Karbon , K. Aerodynamic Development of the 2011 Chevrolet Volt SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0168 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0168
- Cheng S.Y. , Tsubokura M. , et al Aerodynamic Stability of Road Vehicles in Dynamic Pitching Motion
- Irving Brown , Y.A. , Windsor , S. , and Gaylard , A.P. The Effect of Base Bleed and Rear Cavities on the Drag of an SUV SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0512 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0512
- Howell , J. Bluff Body Drag Reduction with Ventilated Base Cavities SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0171 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0171
- Barnard , R.H. Road Vehicle Aerodynamic Design: An Introduction Barnard R.H. Road Vehicle Aerodynamic Design: An Introduction St Albans MechAero 1996 264 265
- Nisha , R.T. Aerodynamic Analysis of a Car; Reducing Drag Force IOSR June 2016
- Schubel Peter J. and Crossley Richard J. Wind Turbine Blade Design