This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Impact of Wheel-Housing on Aerodynamic Drag and Effect on Energy Consumption on an Electric Bus Body
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 21, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: NuGen Summit
Role of wheel and underbody aerodynamics of vehicle in the formation of drag forces is detrimental to the fuel (energy) consumption during the course of operation at high velocities. This paper deals with the CFD simulation of the flow around the wheels of a bus with different wheel housing arrangements. Based on benchmarking, a model of a bus is selected and analysis is performed. The aerodynamic drag coefficient is obtained and turbulence around wheels is observed using ANSYS Fluent CFD simulation for different combinations of wheel-housing- at the front wheels, at the rear wheels and both in the front and rear wheels. The drag force is recorded and corresponding influence on energy consumption of a bus is evaluated mathematically. A comparison is drawn between energy consumption of bus body without wheel housing and bus body with wheel housing. The result shows a significant reduction in drag coefficient and fuel consumption.
CitationDas, A., Jain, Y., Agrewale, M., and Vora, K., "Impact of Wheel-Housing on Aerodynamic Drag and Effect on Energy Consumption on an Electric Bus Body," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-2394, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-2394.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 10]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 11]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 12]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 13]|
- Hucho, W.H. , “Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles,” 1998.
- Pfadenhauer, M., Wickern, G., and Zwicker, K. , “Investigation of the Influence of Wheels and Tyres on the Aerodynamic Drag of the Vehicles,” 1996.
- Wäschle, A. , “The Influence of Rotating Wheels on Vehicle Aerodynamics - Numerical and Experimental Investigations,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0107, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0107.
- Brandt, A., Berg, H., Bolzon, M., and Josefsson, L. , “The Effects of Wheel Design on the Aerodynamic Drag of Passenger Vehicles,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0662, 2019, doi:10.4271/2019-01-0662.
- Söderblom, D., Löfdahl, L., Elofsson, P., and Hjelm, L. , “Heavy Vehicle Wheel Housing Flows - A Parametric Study,” SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1169, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-1169.
- Anbarci, K., Acikgoz, B., Aslan, R., Arslan, O. et al. , “Development of an Aerodynamic Analysis Methodology for Tractor-Trailer Class Heavy Commercial Vehicles,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 6(2), 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-2413.
- Hui, Z., Jia, W., Yang, Z. , “Numerical Analysis on Effect of Vehicle Length on Automotive Aerodynamic Drag,” in IET International Conference on Information Science and Control Engineering 2012 (ICISCE 2012), doi:10.1049/cp.2012.2274.
- Hirose, K., Kawamata, H., and Oshima, M. , “Aerodynamic Sensitivity Analysis of Wheel Shape Factors,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-0667, 2019, doi:10.4271/2019-01-0667.
- Ahmad, N.E., Abo-Serie, E.F., and Gaylard, A. , “Mesh Optimization for Ground Vehicle Aerodynamics,” CFD Letters 2:54-65, 2010.
- D’Hooge, A., Palin, R., Johnson, S., Duncan, B. et al. , “The Aerodynamic Development of the Tesla Model S - Part 2: Wheel Design Optimization,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0178, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-01-0178.
- Patidar, A., Gupta, U., and Bansal, A. , “Fuel Efficiency Improvement of Commercial Vehicle by Investigating Drag Resistance,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2893, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-2893.
- Fu, C., Uddin, M., Robinson, C., Guzman, A. et al. , “Turbulence Models and Model Closure Coefficients Sensitivity of NASCAR Racecar RANS CFD Aerodynamic Predictions,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 10(1), 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-1547.
- Cavusoglu, Ö.F. , “Aerodynamics around Wheels and Wheelhouses,” Master’s thesis, 2017, 41.