This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Emission Reduction of a Diesel Engine Fueled with Blends of Biofuel under the Influence of 1,4-Dioxane and Rice Husk Nano Particle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published November 21, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: NuGen Summit
In this modern era increase in pollution became a huge impact on the lives of all living creatures, in this automobile tends to be one of the major contributors in terms of air pollution thanks to their exhaust emissions. The objective of the present study is to reduce the amount of harmful pollutants emitted from the automobiles by the utilization of a biofuel further influenced by two additives (liquid and a Nano additive). In this study, first the bio oil is extracted, then the biofuel is mixed with diesel fuel at different proportions of 20%, 40% by volume. Experiments are carried out in a common rail direct injection, diesel engine, which is a stationary test engine manufactured by Kirloskar, connected to a computer setup with an open control unit. The emission values in the exhaust gases are obtained using AVL exhaust gas analyzer. Then 0.1% of rice husk Nano additive addition with the fuel blend followed by 3%, 6% of 1, 4-Dioxane blended with the previous blend and its performance (BTE, BSFC) and emission (HC, CO, CO2, NOx, Smoke) values are tested. The values tabulated and compared for identifying the best blends of them all in terms of emission reduction. Performance of the engine reduced with the addition of the additives for about 4.3% compared with that of diesel fuel. And also, considerable reduction in emission was noticed for HC, CO, Smoke and even for NOx emission with the increase in 1,4-dioxane percentage. The addition of rice husk Nano particles aids in the reduction of emissions. The 40% blend along with 6% and 0.1% of 1,4-dioxane and rice husk shows the lowest possible emission. This comparative analysis helps in understanding the influence of the additives on the biodiesel blends. In addition, the outcome helps in determining the suitability of the combination considered here for use in vehicles without any major modifications.
CitationP, M., G, D., Venkadesan, G., and Josan, S., "Emission Reduction of a Diesel Engine Fueled with Blends of Biofuel under the Influence of 1,4-Dioxane and Rice Husk Nano Particle," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-2387, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-2387.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Huang, D., Zhou, H., and Lin, L. , “Biodiesel: An Alternative to Conventional Fuel,” Energy Procedia 16:1874-1885, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.egypro.2012.01.287.
- Tamilselvan, P., Nallusamy, N., and Rajkumar, S. , “A Comprehensive Review on Performance, Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Biodiesel Fuelled Diesel Engines,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 79:1134-1159, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.rser.2017.05.176.
- Purushothaman, P., Gnanamoorthi, V., and Gurusamy, A. , “Performance Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Novel Biofuel Peppermint Oil in Diesel Engine,” International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology 1-10, 2019, doi:10.1007/s13762-019-02270-1.
- Vigneswaran, R., Annamalai, K., Dhinesh, B., and Krishnamoorthy, R. , “Experimental Investigation of Unmodified Diesel Engine Performance, Combustion and Emission with Multipurpose Additive along with Water-in-Diesel Emulsion Fuel,” Energy Conversion and Management 172:370-380, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2018.07.039.
- Imdadul, H.K., Rashed, M.M., Shahin, M.M., Masjuki, H.H. et al. , “Quality Improvement of Biodiesel Blends Using Different Promising Fuel Additives to Reduce Fuel Consumption and NO Emission from CI Engine,” Energy Conversion and Management 138:327-337, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2017.01.077.
- Ganesan, N. and Masimalai, S. , “Experimental Investigation on a Performance and Emission Characteristics of Single Cylinder Diesel Engine Powered by Waste Orange Peel Oil Biodiesel Blended with Antioxidant Additive,” Energy Sources, Part A: Recovery, Utilization, and Environmental Effects 1-12, 2019, doi:10.1080/15567036.2019.1604856.
- Subramanian, T., Varuvel, E.G., Ganapathy, S., Vedharaj, S., and Vallinayagam, R. , “Role of Fuel Additives on Reduction of NO X Emission from a Diesel Engine Powered by Camphor Oil Biofuel,” Environmental Science and Pollution Research 25(16):15368-15377, 2018, doi:10.1007/s11356-018-1745-4.
- Sivakumar, M., Sundaram, N.S., and Thasthagir, M.H.S. , “Effect of Aluminium Oxide Nanoparticles Blended Pongamia Methyl Ester on Performance, Combustion and Emission Characteristics of Diesel Engine,” Renewable Energy 116:518-526, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.renene.2017.10.002.
- Najafi, G. , “Diesel Engine Combustion Characteristics Using Nano-Particles in Biodiesel-Diesel Blends,” Fuel 212:668-678, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2017.10.001.
- Ranjan, A., Dawn, S.S., Jayaprabakar, J., Nirmala, N. et al. , “Experimental Investigation on Effect of MgO Nanoparticles on Cold Flow Properties, Performance, Emission and Combustion Characteristics of Waste Cooking Oil Biodiesel,” Fuel 220:780-791, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2018.02.057.
- Keskin, A., Yaşar, A., Yıldızhan, Ş., Uludamar, E. et al. , “Evaluation of Diesel Fuel-Biodiesel Blends with Palladium and Acetylferrocene Based Additives in a Diesel Engine,” Fuel 216:349-355, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2017.11.154.
- Prabu, A. , “Nanoparticles as Additive in Biodiesel on the Working Characteristics of a DI Diesel Engine,” Ain Shams Eng J., 2017, doi:10.1016/j.asej.2017.04.004.
- Panithasan, M.S., Gopalakichenin, D., Venkadesan, G., and Veeraraagavan, S. , “Impact of Rice Husk Nanoparticle on the Performance and Emission Aspects of a Diesel Engine Running on Blends of Pine Oil-Diesel,” Environmental Science and Pollution Research 26(1):282-291, 2019, doi:10.1007/s11356-018-3601-y.
- Vinukumar, K., Azhagurajan, A., Vettivel, S.C., Vedaraman, N., and Haiter Lenin, A. , “Biodiesel with Nano Additives from Coconut Shell for Decreasing Emissions in Diesel Engines,” Fuel 222:180-184, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2018.02.129.
- Damanik, N., Ong, H.C., Tong, C.W., Mahlia, T.M.I., and Silitonga, A.S. , “A Review on the Engine Performance and Exhaust Emission Characteristics of Diesel Engines Fueled with Biodiesel Blends,” Environmental Science and Pollution Research 25(16):15307-15325, 2018, doi:10.1007/s11356-018-2098-8.
- Saxena, V., Kumar, N., and Saxena, V.K. , “A Comprehensive Review on Combustion and Stability Aspects of Metal Nanoparticles and its Additive Effect on Diesel and Biodiesel Fuelled CI Engine,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 70:563-588, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.rser.2016.11.067.
- Vedharaj, S., Vallinayagam, R., Yang, W.M., Chou, S.K., and Lee, P.S. , “Effect of Adding 1, 4-Dioxane with Kapok Biodiesel on the Characteristics of a Diesel Engine,” Applied Energy 136:1166-1173, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.apenergy.2014.04.012.
- Hasan, M.M. and Rahman, M.M. , “Performance and Emission Characteristics of Biodiesel-Diesel Blend and Environmental and Economic Impacts of Biodiesel Production: A Review,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 74:938-948, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.rser.2017.03.045.
- Mebin Samuel, P., Gobalakichenin, D., and Gnanamoorthi, V. , “Assessing the Combined Outcome of Rice Husk Nano Additive and Water Injection Method on the Performance, Emission and Combustion Characters of the Low Viscous Pine Oil in a Diesel Engine,” SAE Technical Paper 2019-01-2604, 2019, doi:10.4271/2019-01-2604.
- Samuel, P.M., Devaradjane, G., and Gnanamoorthi, V. , “Performance Enhancement and Emission Reduction by Using Pine Oil Blends in a Diesel Engine Influenced by 1, 4-Dioxane,” International Journal of Environmental Science and Technology 1-12, 2019, doi:10.1007/s13762-019-02455-8.
- Hoekman, S.K. and Robbins, C. , “Review of the Effects of Biodiesel on NOx Emissions,” Fuel Processing Technology 96:237-249, 2012, doi:10.1016/j.fuproc.2011.12.036.
- Hosseinzadeh-Bandbafha, H., Tabatabaei, M., Aghbashlo, M., Khanali, M., and Demirbas, A. , “A Comprehensive Review on the Environmental Impacts of Diesel/Biodiesel Additives,” Energy Conversion and Management 174:579-614, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2018.08.050.
- Reşitoğlu, İ.A., Altinişik, K., and Keskin, A. , “The Pollutant Emissions from Diesel-Engine Vehicles and Exhaust Aftertreatment Systems,” Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy 17(1):15-27, 2015, doi:10.1007/s10098-014-0793-9.