This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
A Comparative Tribological Performance of Lubricating Oils with Zinc Dialkyl Dithiophosphate and Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles as Additives
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
The present work compares the tribological properties of ZnO (Zinc Oxide) nanoparticle based lubricant with ZDDP (zinc dialkyl dithiophosphate) based lubricant. The nanolubricant was prepared by mixing the nanoparticles in base oil followed by ultrasonification and ZDDP based lubricant was prepared by mixing ZDDP and stirring with base oil. Base oil used was mineral base oil. Both the lubricants were tested at three different temperatures, loads and roughness values. The test was carried out on AISI 52100 steel samples prepared by wire cutting and were grinded to three different levels of surface roughness. Friction and wear tests were performed using a reciprocating sliding tribo-tester at three different loads and temperatures. Taguchi orthogonal array was used to reduce the number of experiments. SEM, EDS and AFM analysis were carried out to study the surface wear phenomenon. The coefficient of friction was found to be low in the case of ZnO nanolubricant but wear was found to be high compared to ZDDP based lubricant.
CitationPayyappalli Mana, A., Bimal Shah, A., and Kothari, K., "A Comparative Tribological Performance of Lubricating Oils with Zinc Dialkyl Dithiophosphate and Zinc Oxide Nanoparticles as Additives," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0174, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0174.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Lee, C.-G., Hwang, Y.-J., Choi, Y.-M., Lee, J.-K. et al. , “A Study on the Tribological Characteristics of Graphite Nano Lubricants,” International Journal of Precision Engineering and Manufacturing 10(1):85-90, 2009.
- Choi, Y., Lee, C., Hwang, Y., Park, M. et al. , “Tribological Behavior of Copper Nanoparticles as Additives in Oil,” Current Applied Physics 9(2):e124-e127, 2009.
- Liu, G., Li, X., Qin, B., Xing, D. et al. , “Investigation of the Mending Effect and Mechanism of Copper Nano-Particles on a Tribologically Stressed Surface,” Tribology Letters 17(4):961-966, 2004.
- Lee, K., Hwang, Y., Cheong, S., Choi, Y. et al. , “Understanding the Role of Nanoparticles in Nano-Oil Lubrication,” Tribology Letters 35(2):127-131, 2009.
- Aktary, M., McDermott, M.T., and McAlpine, G.A. , “Morphology and Nanomechanical Properties of ZDDP Antiwear Films as a Function of Tribological Contact Time,” Tribology Letters 12(3):155-162, 2002.
- Miklozic, K.T. and Spikes, H.A. , “Application of Atomic Force Microscopy to the Study of Lubricant Additive Films,” Journal of Tribology 127(2):405-415, 2005.
- Huq, M.Z., Aswath, P.B., and Elsenbaumer, R.L. , “TEM Studies of Anti-Wear Films/Wear Particles Generated under Boundary Conditions Lubrication,” Tribology International 40(1):111-116, 2007.
- Rapoport, L., Feldman, Y., Homyonfer, M., Cohen, H. et al. , “Inorganic Fullerene-Like Material as Additives to Lubricants: Structure-Function Relationship,” Wear 225:975-982, 1999.
- Rapoport, L., Lvovsky, M., Lapsker, I., Leshchinsky, W. et al. , “Friction and Wear of Bronze Powder Composites Including Fullerene-Like WS2 Nanoparticles,” Wear 249(1-2):149-156, 2001.
- Rapoport, L., Leshchinsky, V., Lapsker, I., Volovik, Y. et al. , “Tribological Properties of WS2 Nanoparticles under Mixed Lubrication,” Wear 255(7-12):785-793, 2003.
- Rapoport, L., Leshchinsky, V., Lvovsky, M., Lapsker, I. et al. , “Superior Tribological Properties of Powder Materials with Solid Lubricant Nanoparticles,” Wear 255(7-12):794-800, 2003.
- Qiu, S., Zhou, Z., Dong, J., and Chen, G. , “Preparation of Ni Nanoparticles and Evaluation of their Tribological Performance as Potential Additives in Oils,” Journal of Tribology 123(3):441-443, 2001.
- Miklozic, K.T., Graham, J., and Spikes, H. , “Chemical and Physical Analysis of Reaction Films Formed by Molybdenum Dialkyl-Dithiocarbamate Friction Modifier Additive Using Raman and Atomic Force Microscopy,” Tribology Letters 11(2):71-81, 2001.
- Shah, A.B., Kothari, K., and Anil, P.M. , “A Comparative Study on the Tribological Performance of Lubricating Oils with ZrO2, CuO and ZnO Nanoparticles as Additives,” International Journal of Applied Engineering Research 10(91):2015, 2015.
- Anil, P.M. and Rajamohan, V. , “Influence of Surface Roughness and ZDDP Additive on the Friction and Wear of Reciprocating Sliding Surfaces at High Contact Pressures,” Industrial Lubrication and Tribology 69(5):738-749, 2017.
- Guyer Jr and R.A. , Rolling Bearings Handbook and Troubleshooting Guide (CRC Press, 1996).
- Spikes, H. , “The History and Mechanisms of ZDDP,” Tribology Letters 17(3):469-489, 2004.
- Battez, A.H., Fernandez Rico, J.E., Navas Arias, A., Viesca Rodriguez, J.L. et al. , “The Tribological Behaviour of ZnO Nanoparticles as an Additive to PAO6,” Wear 261(3-4):256-263, 2006.