This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development and Investigation of Jute/Linen Fibre Reinforced Polymer Composite
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
In recent automotive era, natural fibre reinforced with thermoset polymer composites have been incorporated by automotive industries especially for interiors, car body panels, dashboards, headliners etc. Natural fibres offer many affirmative qualities such as less weight and cost, especially in reduction of carbon di-oxide which is a major threat to the planet from the automotive sectors. The current work deals with the study of the potential usage of mineral powder (industrial by-product) in polymer. In this paper, hybrid composites with natural fabrics reinforcements and mineral powder as filler to matrix material are developed. The mineral powder used as filler is silica fumes which is a by-product of industries. The hand lay-up methodology is employed to fabricate the composite. The composites with and without mineral filler material are developed. The mechanical properties of the composites are assessed. The mechanical properties of composites with and without mineral filler are compared and their result shows that with addition of filler material, the mechanical properties of the composites are affected. Results disclose that loading of silica fumes increases the mechanical properties of the composite comparatively since it enhances the fibre matrix adhesion. Optical microscope & SEM are utilized to observe the composite’s morphology.
CitationPandian, A. and Jailani, S., "Development and Investigation of Jute/Linen Fibre Reinforced Polymer Composite," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0171, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0171.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
- Karus , M. and Kaup , M. Natural Fibres in the European Automotive Industry J. Ind Hemp. 7 1 119 123 2002
- Maletta , C. and Pagnotta , L. On the Determination of Mechanical Properties of Composite Laminates Using Genetic Algorithms Int J. Mech Mater Des. 1 199 211 2004
- Kaliappan , P. , Kesavan , R. , and Vijaya Ramnath , B. Investigation on Effect of Fibre Hybridization and Orientation on Mechanical Behaviour of Natural Fibre Epoxy Composite Bull. Mater. Sci. 40 4 773 782 2017
- Shadrach Jeya Sekaran , A. , Palani Kumar , K. , and Pitchandi , K. Evaluation on Mechanical Properties of Woven Aloevera and Sisal Fibre Hybrid Reinforced Epoxy Composites Bull. Mater. Sci. 38 5 1183 1193 2015
- Mangal , R. , Saxena , N.S. , Sreekala , M.S. , Thomas , S. et al. Thermal Properties of Pineapple Leaf Fiber Reinforced Composites Mater. Sci. Eng. A 339 281 285 2003
- Retnam , B.S.J. , Sivapragash , M. , and Pradeep , P. Effects of Fibre Orientation on Mechanical Properties of Hybrid Bamboo/Glass Fibre Polymer Composites Bull. Mater. Sci. 37 5 1059 1064 2014
- Lee , C.L. , Huang , R. , Lin , W.T. , and Weng , T.L. Establishment of the Durability Indices for Cement-Based Composite Containing Supplementary Cementitious Materials Mater. Des. 37 28 39 2012
- Al-Amoudi , O.S.B. , Maslehuddin , M. , Shameem , M. , and Ibrahim , M. Shrinkage of Plain and Silica Fume Cement Concrete under Hot Weather Cem. Concr. Compos. 29 9 690 699 2007
- Pandian , C.K.A. , Jailani , H.S. , and Rajadurai , A. Natural Fabric Sandwich Laminate Composites: Development and Investigation Bull. Mater. Sci. 40 1 139 146 2017
- Pandian , C.K.A. and Jailani , H.S. Investigation of Viscoelastic Attributes and Vibrational Characteristics of Natural Fabrics-Incorporated Hybrid Laminate Beams Polym. Bull. 75 1997 2014 2018