This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Study on Combined Effect of Yttria Stabilized Zirconia Coated Combustion Chamber Components and Emulsification Approach on the Behaviour of a Compression Ignition Engine Fuelled with Waste Cooking Oil Methyl Esters
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Waste Cooking Oil (WCO) is generated in large quantity worldwide due to the increase in population and change of food habits. This work is about utilizing this WCO as an alternative fuel for Compression Ignition (CI) engine, in view of addressing the constraints in the domain of land as well as air pollution. A fuel and engine level modification were carried out to analyse the behaviour of the test engine. In the first phase of the study, collected WCO was converted into its methyl esters (i.e. WCOME) and tested for its properties. A single cylinder, water cooled, direct injection, compression ignition engine was developed with suitable emission and combustion parameters computing equipments in the second phase of the work. In the third phase of the work, the developed engine was tested with neat diesel, WCO and WCOME under different engine power outputs.
WCOME was converted into its emulsion (WCOMEE) and tested in the developed engine in the fourth phase of the work. In the fifth phase of the study, combustion chamber components like piston, cylinder head and valves were coated with 100 microns of Nickel-Chromium Aluminium (NiCrAl) bond coat and 200 microns of 8% Yttria Stabilized Zirconia (YSZ) ceramic coat as a Thermal Barrier Coating (TBC) using plasma spray coating technique. Finally, the modified engine was tested with the WCOMEE and results were compared.
Carbon-based emissions of WCOMEE were also found to be in the lower side with the TBC engine at the penalty of a slight increase of Oxides of Nitrogen Emission. On the other hand Brake Thermal Efficiency (BTE) of WCOMEE has been decreased from 27.2% to % with the unmodified engine. However, the BTE of WCOMEE has been significantly increased to 29.4 % when it was tested in the TBC engine. Thus, it has been proved that WCOME can be used in the emulsified form in the TBC coated CI engine for optimized performance and emission characteristics.
- Sangeethkumar Elumalai - Hindustan Institute of Tech. & Science
- Jaikumar Mayakrishnan - Hindustan Institute of Tech. & Science
- Sasikumar Nandagopal - Hindustan Institute of Tech. & Science
- Selvakumar Raja - Hindustan Institute of Tech. & Science
- Ramanathan Velmurugan - Hindustan Institute of Tech. & Science
CitationElumalai, S., Mayakrishnan, J., Nandagopal, S., Raja, S. et al., "Experimental Study on Combined Effect of Yttria Stabilized Zirconia Coated Combustion Chamber Components and Emulsification Approach on the Behaviour of a Compression Ignition Engine Fuelled with Waste Cooking Oil Methyl Esters," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0164, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0164.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
- Hajjari, M., Tabatabaei, M., Aghbashlo, M., and Ghanavati, H. , “A Review on the Prospects of Sustainable Biodiesel Production: A Global Scenario with an Emphasis on Waste-Oil Biodiesel Utilization,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 72:445-464, 2017.
- Kumar, M.V., Veeresh Babu, A., Ravi Kumar, P., and Sudhakara Reddy, S. , “Experimental Investigation of the Combustion Characteristics of Mahua Oil Biodiesel-Diesel Blend Using a DI Diesel Engine Modified with EGR and Nozzle Hole Orifice Diameter,” Biofuel Res. J 5(3):863-871, 2018.
- Mahla, S.K., Dhir, A., and Gupta, N. , “Emission Characteristics of Diesel Engine Fuelled with Biogas and N- Propanol-Biodiesel-Diesel Blend under Dual Fuel Mode,” International Journal of Chem Tech Research 10(13):01-08, 2017.
- Radhakrishnan, S., Devarajan, Y., Mahalingam, A., and Nagappan, B. , “Emissions Analysis on Diesel Engine Fueled with Palm Oil Biodiesel and Pentanol Blends,” Journal of Oil Palm Research 29(3):380-386, 2017.
- Uyumaz, A. , “Combustion, Performance and Emission Characteristics of a DI Diesel Engine Fueled with Mustard Oil Biodiesel Fuel Blends at Different Engine Loads,” Fuel 212:256-267, 2018.
- Sinha, M.S.K. and Vibhanshu, V. , “Experimental Investigation of Performance and Emission Characteristics of Blends of Jatropha Oil Methyl Ester and Ethanol in Light Duty Diesel Vehicle,” International Journal of Engineering Research and Applications 4(2):374-383, 2014.
- Sajjadi, B., Raman, A.A.A., and Arandiyan, H. , “A Comprehensive Review on Properties of Edible and Non-Edible Vegetable Oil-Based Biodiesel: Composition, Specifications and Prediction Models,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 63:62-92, 2016.
- Yadav, D., Shrivastava, N., and Shrivastava, V. , “Experimental Investigation of Performance Parameters of Single Cylinder Four Stroke DI Diesel Engine Operating on Neem Oil Biodiesel and Its Blends,” International Journal of Mechanical Engineering and Robotics Research 2278-0149, 2012.
- Mat, S.C., Idroas, M.Y., Hamid, M.F., and Zainal, Z.A. , “Performance and Emissions of Straight Vegetable Oils and Its Blends as a Fuel in Diesel Engine: A Review,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 82:808-823, 2018.
- Prabu, S.S., Asokan, M.A., Prathiba, S., Ahmed, S., and Puthean, G. , “Effect of Additives on Performance, Combustion and Emission Behavior of Preheated Palm Oil/Diesel Blends in DI Diesel Engine,” Renewable Energy 122:196-205, 2018.
- Venkatesan, Hariram, and Harshavardhann, D. , “Performance and Emission Analysis of Compression Ignition Engine in Dual Fuel Mode using Rice Bran Biodiesel and LPG”.
- Boopathi, D., Sonthalia, A., and Devanand, S. , “Experimental Investigations on the Effect of Hydrogen Induction on Performance and Emission Behaviour of a Single Cylinder Diesel Engine Fuelled with Palm Oil Methyl Ester and Its Blend with Diesel,” J Eng Sci Technol 12:1972-1987, 2017.
- Capuano, D., Costa, M., Di Fraia, S., Massarotti, N., and Vanoli, L. , “Direct Use of Waste Vegetable Oil in Internal Combustion Engines,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 69:759-770, 2017.
- Jaichandar, S. and Annamalai, K. , “Comparative Analysis of Performance and Emission Characteristics of DI-Diesel Engine Using Jatropha and Pongamia Biodiesel as Fuels,” Journal of Mechanical Engineering 98-114, 2018.
- Wardana, I.N.G., Widodo, A., and Wijayanti, W. , “Improving Vegetable Oil Properties by Transforming Fatty Acid Chain Length in Jatropha Oil and Coconut Oil Blends,” Energies 11(2):394, 2018.
- Jaichandar, S. and Annamalai, K. , “Experimental Investigation on the Influences of Varying Injection Timing on the Performance of a B20 JOME Biodiesel Fueled Diesel Engine,” Journal of Mechanical Engineering 14(1):57-74, 2017.
- Can, Ö., Öztürk, E., and Yücesu, H.S. , “Combustion and Exhaust Emissions of Canola Biodiesel Blends in a Single Cylinder DI Diesel Engine,” Renewable Energy 109:73-82, 2017.
- Khan, K., Kumar, G., Sharma, A.K., Kumar, P.S. et al. , “Performance and Emission Characteristics of a Diesel Engine Using Complementary Blending of Castor and Karanja Biodiesel,” Biofuels 9(1):53-60, 2018.
- Gopal, K.N., Pal, A., Sharma, S., Samanchi, C. et al. , “Investigation of Emissions and Combustion Characteristics of a CI Engine Fueled with Waste Cooking Oil Methyl Ester and Diesel Blends,” Alexandria Engineering Journal 53(2):281-287, 2014.
- Abed, K.A., El Morsi, A.K., Sayed, M.M., El Shaib, A.A., and Gad, M.S. , “Effect of Waste Cooking-Oil Biodiesel on Performance and Exhaust Emissions of a Diesel Engine,” Egyptian Journal of Petroleum 27(4):985-989, 2018.
- Geng, P., Mao, H., Zhang, Y., Wei, L. et al. , “Combustion Characteristics and NOx Emissions of a Waste Cooking Oil Biodiesel Blend in a Marine Auxiliary Diesel Engine,” Applied Thermal Engineering 115:947-954, 2017.
- Yildizhan, Ş., Uludamar, E., Çalık, A., Dede, G., and Özcanlı, M. , “Fuel Properties, Performance and Emission Characterization of Waste Cooking Oil (WCO) in a Variable Compression Ratio (VCR) Diesel Engine,” European Mechanical Science 1(2):56-62, 2017.
- Kumar, M.S. and Jaikumar, M. , “A Comprehensive Study on Performance, Emission and Combustion Behavior of a Compression Ignition Engine Fuelled with WCO (Waste Cooking Oil) Emulsion as Fuel,” Journal of the Energy Institute 87(3):263-271, 2014.
- Masera, K. and Hossain, A.K. , “Biofuels and Thermal Barrier: A Review on Compression Ignition Engine Performance, Combustion and Exhaust Gas Emission,” Journal of the Energy Institute, 2018.
- Kumar, A., Kumar, S., and Babu, A.V. , “Effect of Mahua Methyl Ester on Performance & Emission Characteristics on Di Diesel Engine with Mullite as a Thermal Barrier Coating (TBC),” International Research Journal of Engineering and Technology (IRJET) 5(4), 2018.
- Paturu, P. and Vinoth Kanna, I. , “Experimental Investigation of Performance and Emissions Characteristics on Single-Cylinder Direct-Injection Diesel Engine with PSZ Coating Using Radish Biodiesel,” International Journal of Ambient Energy 1-10, 2018.