This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimal Sizing and Energy Management of a Microgrid Using Single and Multi-Objective Particle Swarm Optimization under Autonomous and Grid Connected Mode
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
The conventional energy sources are getting depleted while at the same time the energy demand keeps growing. Hence, it is important to consider non-conventional energy sources to meet future energy demands. The renewable energy based microgrid system is one of the promising solutions to meet this increasing energy demand. The major parameters under consideration in a micro-grid system are cost-effectiveness, quality of service and energy management. This work concentrates on the energy management of the Photovoltaic/Wind based microgrid system connected to the fuel cell, microturbine and battery under Islanding (or) Autonomous mode and Grid-Connected Mode. The current model of PV, Wind and Battery systems are employed. The Wind, PV and Battery types are chosen from i-HOGA. The optimal combination of these sources with the aim of minimizing the operating cost, pollutant treatment cost and maximizing reliability using both single and multi-objective particle swarm optimization (PSO) has been considered. This microgrid has also been analyzed under three different strategies for both grids connected and islanded mode and the best energy management strategy is obtained after analysis. In addition to this, the type and number of PV, Wind, and Battery to meet the forecasted demand are determined under islanding mode using Multi-Objective Particle Swarm Optimization (MOPSO). A solitary best-accepted solution is attained from Fuzzy membership function. The algorithm proposed decides the optimal number of units and types of units selected to achieve the optimal cost. The simulation has been performed in MATLAB environment.
CitationDayalan, S., Rathinam, R., and Valliappan, S., "Optimal Sizing and Energy Management of a Microgrid Using Single and Multi-Objective Particle Swarm Optimization under Autonomous and Grid Connected Mode," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0158, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0158.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
- “The Executive Summary of Power Sector,” Government of India, Ministry of Power, and Central Electricity Authority New Delhi, August 2015.
- Ma, J. and Ravi, G. , “Design and Optimization of Hybrid Micro-Grid System,” in International Conference on Power Engineering, Computing and CONtrol, PECCON-2017, March 2017, ScienceDirect Energy Procedia.
- Mohammadi, M., Hosseinian, S.H., and Gharehpetian, G.B. , “Optimization of Hybrid Solar Energy Sources/Wind Turbine Systems Integrated to Utility Grids as Microgrid (MG) under Pool/Bilateral/Hybrid Electricity Market Using PSO,” Solar Energy 86:112-125, 2012.
- Moghaddama, A.A., Seifia, A., and Niknamb, T. , “Multi-Operation Management of a Typical Micro-Grids Using Particle Swarm Optimization: A Comparative Study,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 16:1268-1281, 2012.
- Bigdeli, N. , “Optimal Management of Hybrid PV/Fuel Cell/Battery Power System: A Comparison of Optimal Hybrid Approaches,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 42:377-393, 2015.
- García-Trivino, P., Llorens-Iborra, F., García-Vazquez, C.A., Gil-Mena, A.J. et al. , “Long-Term Optimization Based on PSO of a Grid-Connected Renewable Energy/Battery/Hydrogen Hybrid System,” International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 39:10805-10816, 2014.
- Kaabeche, Belhamel, M., and Ibtiouen, R. , “Sizing Optimization of Grid-Independent Hybrid Photovoltaic/Wind Power Generation System,” Energy 36:1214-1222, 2011.
- Borhanazad, H., Mekhilef, S., Ganapathy, V.G., Modiri-Delshad, M., and Mirtaheri, A. , “Optimization of Micro Grid System Using MOPSO,” Renewable Energy 71:295-306, 2014.
- Elgammal, A. and El-Naggar, M. , “Energy Management in Smart Grids for the Integration of Hybrid Wind-PV-FC-Battery Renewable Energy Resources Using Multiobjective Particle Swarm Optimisation,” The Journal of Engineering, IET 2018(11):1806-1816, November 2018.
- Fathima, H. and Palanisamy, K. , “Optimization in Microgrid with Hybrid Energy Systems - A Review,” Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 45:431-446, 2015.
- Raquel Carlo, R. and Naval Jr Prospero, C. “An Effective Use of Crowding Distance in Multi Objective Particle Swarm Optimization,” in GECCO ‘05, 2005, 257-264.
- Sanaz, M. and Jürgen, T. , “Strategies for Finding Good Local Guides in Multi-Objective Particle Swarm Optimization (MOPSO),” in IEEE Proc. Swarm Intelligence Symposium, 2003, 26-33.
- Suchitra, D., Jegatheesan, R., and Deepika, T.J. , “Optimal Design of Hybrid Power Generation System and its Integration in the Distribution Network,” Electrical Power and Energy System 82:136-149, 2016.
- Hazra, J. and Sinha, A.K. , “A Multi-Objective Optimal Power Flow Using Particle Swarm Optimization,” Eur Trans Electric Power 21:1028-1045, 2011.
- Rao, S.S. , Engineering Optimization-Theory and Pratice (John Wiley & Sons Ltd Publications, 2009).
- Amer, M., Namaane, A., and M’Sirdi, N.K. , “Optimization of Hybrid Renewable Energy Systems (HRES) Using PSO for Cost Reduction,” Energy Procedia 42:318-327, 2013.
- Moghaddama, A.A., Seifia, A., and Niknamb, T. , “Multi-Objective Operation Management of a Renewable MG (Micro-Grid) with Back-Up Micro-Turbine/Fuel Cell/Battery Hybrid Power Source,” Energy 36:6490-6507, 2011.
- Bilal, B.O., Sambou, V., Kébé, C.M.F., Ndiaye, P.A., and Ndongo, M. , “Methodology to Size an Optimal Stand-Alone PV/Wind/Diesel/Battery System Minimizing the Levelized Cost of Energy and the CO2 Emissions,” Energy Procedia 14:1636-1647, 2012.
- Ramabhotla, S., Bayne, S., and Michael Giesselmann, P.E. , “Operation and Maintenance Cost Optimization in the Grid Connected Mode of Microgrid,” in IEEE Green Technologies Conference-978-1-5090-2039-3/16, 2016.
- Dufo-López, R. and Bernal-Agustín, J.L. , “Design and Control Strategies of PV-Diesel Systems Using Genetic Algorithms,” Solar Energy 79(1):33-46, 2005.
- Bernal-Agustín, J.L., Dufo-López, R., and Rivas-Ascaso, D.M. , “Design of Isolated Hybrid Systems Minimizing Costs and Pollutant Emissions”, Paper Accepted for Publication in Renewable Energy.
- Dufo-López, R., Bernal-Agustín, J.L., Yusta-Loyo, J.M., Domínguez-Navarro, J.A. et al. , “Multi-Objective Optimization Minimizing Cost and Life Cycle Emissions of Stand-Alone PV-Wind-Diesel Systems with Batteries Storage,” Applied Energy 88:4033-4041, 2011.
- Dufo- López, R. and Bernal-Agustın, J.L. , “Multi-Objective Design of PV- Wind- Diesel- Hydrogen- Battery Systems,” Renewable Energy 33:2559-2572, 2008.
- Diaf, S., Notton, G., Belhamel, M., Haddadi, M., and Louche, A. , “Design and Techno-Economical Optimization for Hybrid PV/Wind System under Various Meteorological Conditions,” Applied Energy 85:968-987, 2008.
- Yang, H., Lu, L., and Zhou, W. , “A Novel Optimization Sizing Model for Hybrid Solar-Wind Power Generation System,” Solar Energy 81:76-84, 2007.
- Kaabeche, A., Bellhamel, M., and Ibtiouen, R. , “Sizing Optimization of Grid Independent Hybrid Photovoltaic/Wind Power Generation System,” Energy 36:1214-1222, 2011.
- Yang, H., Zhou, W., and Lou, C. , “Optimal Design and Techno Economic Analysis of a Hybrid Solar-Wind Power Generation System,” Applied Energy 86:163-169, 2009.
- Atwa, Y.M., Saadany, E.F., and Salma, M.A.A. , “Optimal Renewable Resources Mix for Distribution System Energy Loss Minimization,” IEEE Trans Power System 25:360-370, 2010.
- Kayal, P. and Chanda, C.K. , “Placement of Wind and Solar Based DGs in Distribution System for Power Loss Minimization and Voltage Stability Improvement,” Int Jounal Electric Power Energy System 53:795-809, 2013.