This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of Metallurgical and Mechanical Properties of Hastelloy X by Key-Hole Plasma Arc Welding Process
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
This research work describes the effect of microsegregation, microstructure and tensile strength of the Hastelloy X weldment produced by keyhole plasma arc welding (K-PAW). Weld joint was obtained in a single pass without the addition of filler wire. The significant results obtained in this research work are (i) fine equiaxed dendrite was detected in the weld centre due to lesser heat input (HI) along with the faster solidification attained in K-PAW (ii) The existence of secondary precipitates in the interdendritic boundary was identified by the scanning electron microscope (SEM) analysis (iii) Energy dispersive X-ray spectroscope (EDS) revealed the Cr and Mo microsegregation in interdendritic boundary of the weld zone (iv) X-ray diffraction (XRD) analysis confirmed the Mo-rich P phase and Cr-rich M23C6 phase. The observed tensile strength of weldment is 6.14 % inferior to base metal. The development of secondary precipitates in the weld zone affected the tensile properties of the weld joint.
CitationSathishkumar, M., Naiju, C., and Manikandan, M., "Investigation of Metallurgical and Mechanical Properties of Hastelloy X by Key-Hole Plasma Arc Welding Process," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0152, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0152.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- 2005 http://www.specialmetals.com/assets/smc/documents/alloys/inconel/inconel-alloy-hx.pdf
- Cieslak , M.J. , Knorovsky , G.A. , Headley , T.J. , and Romig , A.D. The Welding Metallurgy of Hastelloy Alloys C-4, C-22 and C-276 Metall. Trans. A 17 2035 2047 1986
- Sihotang , R. , Sung-Sang , P. , and Eung-Ryul , B. Effect of Heat Input on Microstructure of Tungsten Inert Gas Welding Used Hastelloy X Mater. Res. Innovations 18 1074 1080 2014 10.1179/1432891714Z.000000000559
- Savage , W.F. and Krantz , B.M. Microsegregation in Autogenous Hastelloy X Welds July 1971
- Zhao , J.C. , Larsen , M. , and Ravikumar , V. Phase Precipitation and Time-Temperature-Transformation Diagram of Hastelloy X Int. J. Press. Vessels Pip. 293 1 112 119 2000 10.1016/S0921-5093(00)01049-2
- Sindo , K. Welding Metallurgy Second Hoboken, NJ John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 2003
- Wu , C.S. , Wang , L. , Ren , W.J. , and Zhang , X.Y. Plasma Arc Welding: Process, Sensing, Control and Modeling J. Manuf. Process. 16 74 85 2014 10.1016/j.jmapro.2013.06.004
- Jeremie , G. , Jean-Denis , B. , Joel , A. , and Talal , M. Weldability of Superalloys Hastelloy X by Yb: YAG Laser Adv. Mater. Res. 1099 61 70 2015 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.1099.61
- Srikanth , A. and Manikandan , M. Development of Welding Technique to Avoid Sensitization in the Alloy 600 by Conventional Gas Tungsten Arc Welding Method J. Manuf. Process. 30 452 466 2017 10.1016/j.jmapro.2017.10.014
- Arulmurugan , B. and Manikandan , M. Development of Welding Technology for Improving the Metallurgical and Mechanical Properties of 21 st Century Nickel Based Superalloy 686 Mater. Sci. Eng. A 691 126 140 2017 10.1016/j.msea.2017.03.042
- Subramani , P. and Manikandan , M. Development of Welding Technique to Suppress the Microsegregation in the Aerospace Grade Alloy 80A by Conventional Current Pulsing Technique J. Manuf. Process. 34 579 592 2018 10.1016/j.jmapro.2018.06.037
- John Dupont , N. , John Lippold , C. , and Samuel Kiser , D. Welding Metallurgy and Weldability of Nickel-Base Alloys First Hoboken, NJ John Wiley & Sons, Inc. 2009