This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Study on Tool Wear and Cutting Temperature during Machining of Nimonic C-263 and Waspaloy Based on Taguchi Method and Response Surface Methodology
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Nickel based materials of Nimonic C-263 and Waspaloy are used nowadays for aerospace applications owing to its superior strength properties that are maintained at a higher temperature. Tool wear and cutting temperature in the vicinity of cutting edge are two essential machinability characteristics for any cutting tool. In this regard, this study is pursued to examine the influence of factors on measuring of tool wear (Vba) and cutting temperature (Ts) during dry machining of two alloys studied experimentally based on Taguchi method and response surface methodology. Taguchi’s L16 orthogonal array is used to design the experiment and a PVD (TiAlN), CVD (TiN/Al2O3/TiCN) coated carbide inserts are used on turning of two alloys. The factor effect on output responses are studied using analysis of variance, empirical models, and responses surface 3D plots. To minimize the response and to convert into one single optimum level, responses surface desirability function approach is applied. The results show that progress of flank wear associated with Waspaloy is faster that of Nimonic C-263 due to high cutting temperature for Waspaloy that of Nimonic C-263. Abrasion is active wear mechanism for both the alloys with the investigated cutting parameters. Also, plastic deformation and mechanical fracture are observed for both inserts on turning of two alloys. In overall, PVD tool brings down the cutting temperature (10% for Nimonic C-263 and 4% for waspaloy), and flank wear land (31% for Nimonic C-263 and 41% for waspaloy) than that of CVD tool due to its superior tribological properties.
CitationKannan, V., Kannan, V., and Sundararajan, D., "Experimental Study on Tool Wear and Cutting Temperature during Machining of Nimonic C-263 and Waspaloy Based on Taguchi Method and Response Surface Methodology," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0144, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0144.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
- Venkatesan, K. , “The Study on Force, Surface Integrity, Tool Life and Chip on Laser Assisted Machining of Inconel 718 Using Nd: YAG Laser Source,” Journal of Advanced Research 8(4):407-423, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jare.2017.05.004.
- Venkatesan, K., Ramanujam, R., and Kuppan, P. , “Laser Assisted Machining of difficult to cut materials: Research Opportunities and Future Directions-A comprehensive review,” Procedia Engineering 97:1626-1636, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2014.12.313.
- Ezilarasan, C., Senthil Kumar, V.S., and Velayudham, A. , “Theoretical Predictions and Experimental Validation on Machining the Nimonic C-263 Superalloy,” Simulation Modeling Practice and Theory 40:192-207, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.simpat.2013.09.008.
- Ezilarasan, C. and Velayudham, A. , “An Experimental Analysis and Measurement of Process Performances in the Machining of Nimonic C-263 Superalloy,” Measurement 46(1):185-199, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.measurement.2012.06.006.
- Polvorosa, R., Suárez, A., de Lacalle, L.N., Cerrillo, I., Wretland, A., Veiga, F. , “Tool Wear on Nickel Alloys with Different Coolant Pressures: Comparison of Alloy 718 and Waspaloy,” Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 26:44-56, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmapro.2017.01.012.
- Yıldırım, Ç.V., Kıvak, T., Sarıkaya, M., and Erzincanl, F. , “Determination of MQL Parameters are Contributing to Sustainable Machining in the Milling of Nickel-Base Superalloy Waspaloy,” Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering 42(11):4667-4681, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13369-017-2594-z.
- Thakur, A. and Gangopadhyay, S. , “State-of-the-art in Surface Integrity in the Machining of Nickel-Based Superalloys,” International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture 100:25-54, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmachtools.2015.10.001.
- Ezilarasan, C. and Velayudham, A. , “Effect of Machining Parameters on Surface Integrity in Machining Nimonic C-263 Superalloy Using Whisker-Reinforced Ceramic Insert,” Journal of materials engineering and performance 22(6):1619-1628, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11665-012-0439-1.
- Ezilarasan, C., Senthil Kumar, V.S., Velayudham, A., and Palanikunar, K. , “Modelling and Analysis of Surface Roughness on Machining of Nimonic C-263 Alloy by PVD Coated Carbide Insert,” Transactions of Nonferrous Metals Society of China 21(9):1986-1996, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1003-6326(11)60961-8.
- Ezilarasan, C., Zhu, K., Velayudham, A., and Palanikumar, K. , “Assessment of Factors Influencing Tool Wear on the Machining of Nimonic C-263 Alloy with PVD Coated Carbide Inserts,” Advanced Materials Research 291:794-799, 2011. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.291-294.794.
- Thakur, A., Gangopadhyay, S., Mohanty, A., and Maity, K. , “Experimental Assessment on Performance of TiN/TiCN/Al2O3/ZrCN Coated Tool During Dry Machining of Nimonic C-263,” International Journal of Machining and Machinability of Materials 18(5-6):452-465, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJMMM.2016.078985.
- Koyilada, B., Gangopadhyay, S., and Thakur, A. , “Comparative Evaluation of Machinability Characteristics of Nimonic C-263 using CVD and PVD Coated Tools,” Measurement 85:152-163, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.measurement.2016.02.023.
- Venkatesan, K. and Thakur, A. , “A Comparative Study on Machinability Characteristics In Dry Machining Of Nimonic 263 Alloy Using Coated Carbide Inserts,” Materials Today: Proceedings 5(5):12443-12452, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2018.02.224.
- Hoier, P., Malakizadi, A., Stuppa, P., Cedergren, S., and Klement, U. , “Microstructural Characteristics of Alloy 718 and Waspaloy and Their Influence on Flank Wear during Turning,” Wear 400:184-193, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wear.2018.01.011.
- Imbrogno, S., Rinaldi, S., Umbrello, D., Filice, L. et al. , “A Physically Based Constitutive Model for Predicting the Surface Integrity in Machining of Waspaloy,” Materials and Design 152:140-155, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2018.04.069.
- Caruso, S., Imbrogno, S., Rinaldi, S., and Umbrello, D. , “Finite Element Modeling of Microstructural Changes in Waspaloy Dry Machining,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 89(1-4):227-240, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-016-9037-y.
- Rinaldi, S., Caruso, S., Umbrello, D., Filice, L. et al. , “Machinability of Waspaloy under Different Cutting and Lubri-Cooling Conditions,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 94(9-12):3703-3712, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-017-1133-0.
- Tazehkandi, A.H., Pilehvarian, F., and Davoodi, B. , “Experimental Investigation on Removing Cutting Fluid from Turning of Inconel 725 with Coated Carbide Tools,” Journal of Cleaner Production 80:271-281, 2014. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2014.05.098.
- Pusavec, F., Hamdi, H., Kopac, J., and Jawahir, I.S. , “Surface Integrity in Cryogenic Machining of Nickel Based Alloy-Inconel 718,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology 211(4):773-783, 2011. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2010.12.013.
- Dhokia, V., Newman, S.T., and Imani-Asrai, R. , “An Initial Study of the Effect of Using Liquid Nitrogen Coolant on the Surface Roughness of Inconel 718 Nickel-Based Alloy in CNC Milling,” Procedia CIRP 3:121-125, 2012. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.procir.2012.07.022.
- Yildiz, Y. and Nalbant, M. , “A Review of Cryogenic Cooling in Machining Processes,” International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture 48(9):947-964, 2008. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijmachtools.2008.01.008.
- Suárez, A., López de Lacalle, L.,.N., Polvorosa, R., Veiga, F., and Wretland, A. , “Effects of High-Pressure Cooling on the Wear Patterns on Turning Inserts Used on Alloy IN718,” Materials and Manufacturing Processes 32(6):678-686, 2017. https://doi.org/10.1080/10426914.2016.1244838.
- Thakur, A. and Gangopadhyay, S. , “Dry Machining of Nickel-Based Superalloy as a Sustainable Alternative Using TiN/TiAlN Coated Tool,” Journal of Cleaner Production 129:256-268, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.04.074.
- Venkatesan, K. and Ramanujam, R. , “Statistical Approach for Optimization of Influencing Parameters in Laser Assisted Machining (LAM) of Inconel Alloy,” Measurement 89:97-108, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.measurement.2016.04.021.
- Venkatesan, K., Ramanujam, R., and Kuppan, P. , “Parametric Modeling and Optimization of Laser Scanning Parameters during Laser Assisted Machining of Inconel 718,” Optics and Laser Technology 78:10-18, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.optlastec.2015.09.021.
- Ding, H. and Shin, Y.C. , “Improvement of Machinability of Waspaloy via Laser-Assisted Machining,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 64(1-4):475-486, 2013. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-012-4012-8.
- Thakur, A. and Gangopadhyay, S. , “Influence of Tribological Properties on the Performance of Uncoated, CVD and PVD Coated Tools in the Machining of Incoloy 825,” Tribology International 102:198-212, 2016. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.triboint.2016.05.027.