This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Mechanical Properties of Similar and Dissimilar Metals of Monel 400 and SS 321 by Using Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW) Process
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
In the present study the fabrication of joints between the nickel base alloys and steels of various grades have been under taken, joining of these metals has assumed new importance by virtue of their widespread in nuclear and aerospace applications. Such joints provide excellent strength, oxidation and corrosion resistance. This paper deals with the study of weldability, and mechanical properties of weld joints of two different alloys such as nickel based alloy- monel 400 and austenitic stainless steel AISI 321. The joining of the similar and dissimilar metals is carried out by GTAW process and by employing two different types of filler rods SS321 and ERNiCrMo-3, Mechanical properties such as Ultimate Tensile Strength, Young’s Modulus ae found as per ASTM testing standards, Percentage of Elongation also found to know the joint efficiency and Microhardness survey across the weld joint to estimate the hardness variations at different locations such as Weld zone of the metal, Heat Affected Zone (HAZ), and Base metal.
CitationRikka, S. and Malkapuram, D., "Mechanical Properties of Similar and Dissimilar Metals of Monel 400 and SS 321 by Using Gas Tungsten Arc Welding (GTAW) Process," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0141, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0141.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Angolkar, P., SaiKrishna, J., Venkat Reddy, R., and Ravikanth, P. , “Experimental Analysis of Dissimilar Weldments SS 316 and Monel 400 in Gtaw Process,” International Journal of Engineering Research and Development, 2017.
- Pandit, S., Joshi, V., Agarwal, M., Manikandan, M. et al. , “Investigations on Mechanical and Metallurgical Properties of Dissimilar Continuous GTA Welds of Monel 400 and C-276,” Procedia Engineering 75:61-65, 2014.
- Kurt, H.İ. and Samur, R. , “Study on Microstructure, Tensile Test and Hardness 304 Stainless Steel Jointed by TIG Welding,” International Journal of Science and Technology, 2013.
- Sadek, A.A., Abass, M., Zaghloul, B., Elrefay, A., and Ushio, M. , “Investigation of Dissimilar Joints between Low Carbon Steel and Monel 400,” Joining and Welding Research Institute of Osaka University, 2000.
- Devendranath Ramkumar, K., Arivazhagan, N., and Narayanan, S. , “Effect of Filler Materials on the Performance of Gas Tungsten Arc Welded AISI 304 and Monel 400,” Materials and Design 40:70-79, 2012.
- Dadfar, M., Fathi, M.H., Karimzadeh, F., Dadfar, M.R., and Saatchi, A. , “Effect of TIG Welding on Corrosion Behaviour of 316L Stainless Steel,” Materials Letters 61:2343-2346, 2007.
- Mishra, D., Vignesh, M.K., Ganesh Raj, B., Srungavarapu, P. et al. , “Mechanical Characterization of Monel 400 and 316 Stainless Steel Weldments,” Procedia Engineering 75:24-28, 2014.
- Devendranath Ramkumar, K., Naren, V., Shah, Karthik, V.R. et al. , “Development of Pulsed Current Gas Tungsten Arc Welding Technique for Dissimilar Joint of Marine Grade Alloys,” Journal of Manufacturing Processes, 2015.
- Karthik, G., Karuppuswamy, P., and Amarnath, V. , “Comparative Evaluation of Mechanical Properties and Microstructural Characteristics of 304 Stainless Steel Weldments in TIG and SMAW Welding,” International Journal of Current Engineering and Technology, 2014.
- Jigar Parasiya, R., Sathavara, K., and Trivedi Parthiv, T. , “Effect of Process Parameters on Mechanical and Metallurgical Properties of Dissimilar Metal Weld Using GTAW Process,” International Journal for Scientific Research and Development, 2014.
- Gill, J.S., Jolly, S., and Kalra, C.S. , “Experimental Investigation on Fatigue and Impact Strength of Monel 400 to AISI 304 Joints by TIG Welding,” IOSR Journal of Engineering (IOSRJEN), 2017.
- Albdiry, M. , “Investigation on Mechanical Properties of Austenitic Stainless Steel Pipes Welded by TIG Method,” Journal University of Babylon, Engineering Sciences, 2018.
- Ghadi, G. and Shivakumar, S. , “Analysis of TIG Welding Process Parameters for Stainless Steel (SS 202),” International Journal of Advanced Engineering Research and Science, 2016.