This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of Thermal Shock Resistance of CeO2 Coating on Titanium Alloy by Magnetron Sputtering
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Titanium alloy (Grade V) is used in aerospace, medical, marine and chemical processing industries. To improve the thermal shock resistance and corrosion resistance of the titanium alloy at elevated temperatures, Thermal barrier coating (TBC) has been predominantly used. Cerium oxides (CeO2) have been proposed as TBC, due to their high thermal expansion coefficient, higher thermal shock resistance and low corrosion rate. In this study, CeO2 was coated on Titanium alloy by magnetron sputtering. Deposition time was varied as 30 mins, 60 mins and 90 mins respectively, to achieve the variation in thickness of coating. Thickness of the coated specimen was measured by atomic force microscopy and found to be 500 nm, 120 nm and 80 nm respectively. Surface roughness of the corresponding coated surfaces is 152.28 nm, 18.41 nm and 18.65 nm. The Vickers hardness was found to increase with decrease in coating thickness upto certain extent then decreases. Corrosion ability of the coated specimen was identified by electrochemical corrosion test. The coating with lower concentration of particles has the best corrosion properties. Thermal shock resistance test was carried out on the coated specimens at 800oC for 20 minutes and allowed the samples to cool in atmospheric air for 20 minutes. The test was completed after 20 cycles. Spallation on the samples was identified by ultrasonic testing and found to be minimal on the coated sample having thickness of 120 nm. CeO2 could be used as promising material for excellent thermal cycling behavior and corrosion protective layers in titanium alloy aircraft infrastructures.
CitationCheirmakani, B., Pandian, B., Beneston, L., and Subburaj, B., "Investigation of Thermal Shock Resistance of CeO2 Coating on Titanium Alloy by Magnetron Sputtering," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0103, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0103.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Yordanov, S., Stambolova, I., Lakov, L., Jivov, B. et al. , “Effect of CeO2 Dopant on the Structure and Protection Properties of TiO2 Sprayed Coatings Deposited on Carbon Steel,” Journal of Chemical Technology and Metallurgy 53(6):1179-1185, 2018.
- Di, S., Guo, Y., Lv, H., Yu, J., and Li, Z. , “Microstructure and Properties of Rare Earth CeO2-Doped TiO2 Nanostructured Composite Coatings via Micro-Arc Oxidation,” Ceramics International, 2014.
- Sharear Kabir, M., Munroe, P., Gonçales, V., Zhou, Z., and Xie, Z. , “Structure and Properties of Hydrophobic CeO2−x Coatings Synthesized by Reactive Magnetron Sputtering for Biomedical Applications,” Surface & Coatings Technology, 2018.
- Wang, L., Xu, G., Liu, C., Hou, H., and Tan, S. , “Surface-Modified CeO2 Coating with Excellent Thermal Shock Resistance Performance and Low Infrared Emissivity at High-Temperature,” Surface and Coatings Technology 357:559-566, 2019.
- Patel, S.B., Radevski, N., Mondinos, N., Zhao, X. et al. , “A Mechanical and Modelling Study of Magnetron Sputtered Cerium-Titanium Oxide Film Coatings on Si (100),” Ceramics International, 2018.
- Liu, Y., Yang, G., Hang, Z., Fu, H. et al. , “Elevated Temperature Wear Behaviour of CeO2 Modified WC-12Co Coating,” Journal of Rare Earths, 2019.
- Silvia, B.B.-S., Domínguez-Crespo, M.A., Torres-Huerta, A.M., Rodil-Posada, S.E. et al. , “Fabrication of Sputtered Ce/La, La/Ce Oxide Bilayers on AA6061 and AA7075 Aluminum Alloys for the Development of Corrosion Protective Coatings,” Materials 11:04-27, 2018.
- Liu, Y., Huang, J., James, B.C., Carlos, E.C., and O’Keefe, M.J. , “Structure and Corrosion Behavior of Sputter Deposited Cerium Oxidebased Coatings with Various Thickness on Al 2024-T3 Alloy Substrates,” Applied Surface Science 355:805-813, 2015.
- Ghosh, D., Roy, H., Das, S., and Mitra, S.,.K. , “Nanostructured CeO2 Coating for High Temperature Oxidation Protection,” Surface Engineering 32(6), 2016.
- Shi, Z., Shum, P., Zhou, Z., and Li, L.K.-Y. , “Effect of Bias Voltage on the Properties of CeO2−x Coatings Prepared by Magnetron Sputtering,” Surface & Coatings Technology, 2016.
- Venkadesan, G. and Muthusamy, J. , “Experimental Investigation of Al2O3/8YSZ and CeO2/8YSZ Plasma Sprayed Thermal Barrier Coating on Diesel Engine,” Ceramics International 45(3):3166-3176, 2019.
- Bala Manikandan, C. and Gowri, S. , “Study on Tribological Behaviour of DLC Coating On Bearing Steel,” IOSR Journal of Mechanical and Civil Engineering 7:1-7, 2014.
- Zhou, X. and Ouyang, C. , “Anodized Porous Titanium Coated with Ni-CeO2 Deposits for Enhancing Surface Toughness and Wear Resistance,” Applied Surface Science 405:476-488, 2017.
- Madhan Kumara, A., Suresh Babu, R., Ramakrishna, S., and de Barros, A.L.F. , “Electrochemical Synthesis and Surface Protection of Polypyrrole-CeO2 Nanocomposite Coatings on AA2024 Alloy,” Synthetic Metals 234:18-28, 2017.
- Rahman, A. and Jayaganthan, R. , “Study of Nanostructured CeO2 Coatings on Superalloy,” 32, 10, 2016.
- Wang, H., Zhao, Q., Wang, H., Cui, W., and Yuan, X. , “Micromechanism Characteristics of Modified Al-Si Coating by Laser Melt Injection CeO2 Nano-Particles,” Surface & Coatings Technology 319:88-94, 2017.
- Li, H.C., Wang, D.G., Chen, C.Z., and Weng, F. , “Effect of CeO2 and Y2O3 on Microstructure, Bioactivity and Degradability of Laser Cladding CaO-SiO2 Coating on Titanium Alloy,” Colloids and Surfaces B: Biointerfaces 127:15-21, 2015.
- Arunnellaiappan, T., Ashfaq, M., RamaKrishna, L., and Rameshbabu, N. , “Fabrication of Corrosion-Resistant Al2O3-CeO2 Composite Coating on AA7075 via Plasma Electrolytic Oxidation Coupled with Electrophoretic Deposition,” Ceramics International 42(5):5897-5905, 2016.
- Qi, X. and Zhu, S. , “Effect of CeO2 Addition on Thermal Shock Resistance of WC-12%Co Coating Deposited on Ductile Iron by Electric Contact Surface Strengthening,” Applied Surface Science 349:792-797, 2015.
- Mohedano, M., Blawert, C., and Zheludkevich, M.L. , “Silicate-Based Plasma Electrolytic Oxidation (PEO) Coatings with Incorporated CeO2 Particles on AM50 Magnesium Alloy,” Materials & Design, 2015.
- Chęcmanowski, J.G. and Szczygieł, B. , “The Effect of the Deposition Sequence of Sol-Gel SiO2-Al2O3, CeO2 and Y2O3 Coatings on the Corrosion Resistance of the FeCrAl Alloy during Cyclic High-Temperature Oxidation,” Surface and Coatings Technology 344:458-466, 2018.
- Xing, X., Han, Z., Wang, H., and Panna, L.U. , “Electrochemical Corrosion Resistance of CeO2-Cr/Ti Coatings on 304 Stainless Steel via Pack Cementation,” Journal of Rare Earths 33(10):1122-1128, 2015.
- Rehman, Z.U., Uzair, M., Lim, H.T., and HeunKoo, B. , “Structural and Electrochemical Properties of the Catalytic CeO2 Nanoparticles-Based PEO Ceramic Coatings on AZ91 Mg Alloy,” Journal of Alloys and Compounds 726:284-294, 2017.
- Lingyi, Y., Jun, S., Lilu, Q., Niu, M., and Jiamu, H. , “Development of Microarc Oxidation/Sputter CeO2 Duplex Ceramic Anti-Corrosion Coating for AZ31B Mg Alloy,” Journal of Nanoscience and Nanotechnology 19:1, 2018.
- Shukla, P., Gupta, T., and Agarwal, A. , “Evaluation of Lanthanum Based Diesel Oxidation Catalyst for Emission Reduction with and without Ceria Support,” SAE Technical Paper 2016-28-0023, 2016, doi:10.4271/2016-28-0023.
- Liu, Y., Sippel, T., and He, G. , “Improve Heat Resistance of Composite Engine Cowlings Using Ceramic Coating Materials, Experimental Design and Testing,” SAE Int. J. Aerosp. 11(1):61-69, 2018, doi:10.4271/01-11-01-0004.