This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Mechanical and Corrosion Behaviour of Al 7075 Composite Reinforced with TiC and Al2O3 Particles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Various research regarding new types of fabrication and modifications of Aluminium alloy to improve the existing properties are going on. The wide range application of aluminium alloy is in aerospace and Automobile Industries. The demand for this material improved by mechanical properties with little to zero increment in weight. The current work is based on the fabrication of hybrid aluminium metal matrix composites with the addition of TiC (Titanium Carbide) and Al2O3 (Aluminium Oxide) reinforcement particle using stir casting technique. Three types of hybrid composite samples were prepared based on the weight percentage 5% Al2O3+0% TiC (sample-1), 8% Al2O3 + 12% TiC (sample-2), 20% Al2O3+15% TiC (sample-3). The objective of the study is to analyze the mechanical and corrosion properties of the hybrid composite with the influence of the reinforcement and varying the weight fraction of the particles. Overall, It is observed that a gradual increase in the hardness value in sample-1(83 BHN), Sample-2 (88 BHN) and sample-3 (96 BHN). This trend can be explained by the particulate strengthening of TiC over the soft ductile Al7075 during stir casting. The microstructure also provides a convincing explanation of the increased hardness. The tensile test shows that an increasing trend of yield strength in sample-1 to 3, and a decreasing trend of UTS and YS in sample-2 to 3. This is due to the high content of Al2O3. The corrosion behavior is tested by weight loss method using salt spray test. The sample-3 with the highest content of Al2O3 have the least weight loss and highest corrosion resistance than the other samples.
CitationJaiswal, S., Rajamurugan, G., Krishnasamy, P., Shaswat, Y. et al., "Mechanical and Corrosion Behaviour of Al 7075 Composite Reinforced with TiC and Al2O3 Particles," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0094, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0094.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Kumar, S.A., Prabhu Kumar, A., Balu Naik, B., and Ravi, B. , “Production and Investigation on Mechanical Properties of TiC Reinforced Al7075 MMC,” Mater. Today Proc. 5(9):17924-17929, 2018.
- Jayakrishna, K., Kar, V.R., Mohamed, T.H.S., Rajesh, M. , “Materials Selection for Aerospace Component.”
- Holmes, M. , “Aerospace Looks to Composites for Solutions,” Reinf. Plast. 61(4):237-241, 2017.
- Kumar, M.S.A., Kumar, K.C.M., and Prasad, S.L.A. , “Experimental Investigations on Mechanical and Tribological Properties of Extruded Aluminium A356 - Al2O3 Stir Cast MMC,” Mater. Today Proc. 5(1):3044-3051, 2018.
- Senthil kumar, R., Prabu, K., Rajamurugan, G., and Ponnusamy, P. , “Comparative Analysis of Particle Size on the Mechanical and Metallurgical Characteristics of Al2O3 Reinforced Sintered and Extruded AA2014 Nano-Hybrid Composite,” J. Comp. Mat. 1-16, 2019, doi:10.1177/0021998319856676.
- Ashok Kumar, M.S., Honnaiaha, C., and Ajit Prasad, S.L. , “Influence of Extrusion Process on Mechanical and Tribological Properties of Aluminium A356 - AL2O3 Stir Cast MMC,” Mater. Today Proc. 5(13):26918-26924, 2018.
- Ramkumar, K.R., Sivasankaran, S., Al-Mufadi, F.A., Siddharth, S., and Raghu, R. , “Investigations on Microstructure, Mechanical, and Tribological Behaviour of AA 7075-x Wt.% TiC Composites for Aerospace Applications,” Arch. Civ. Mech. Eng. 19(2):428-438, 2019.
- Narayan, M., Surappa, M.K., and Pramila Bai, B.N. , “Dry Sliding Wear of Al Alloy 2024-Al2O3 Particle Metal Matrix Composites,” Wear 181-183(2):563-570, 1995.
- Krishna, M.V. and Xavier, A.M. , “An Investigation on the Mechanical Properties of Hybrid Metal Matrix Composites,” Procedia Eng. 97:918-924, 2014.
- Sujith, S.V., Mahapatra, M.M., and Mulik, R.S. , “An Investigation into Fabrication and Characterization of Direct Reaction Synthesized Al-7079-TiC In Situ Metal Matrix Composites,” Arch. Civ. Mech. Eng. 19(1):63-78, 2019.
- Sarada, B.N., Murthy, P.L.S., and Ugrasen, G. , “Hardness and Wear Characteristics of Hybrid Aluminium Metal Matrix Composites Produced by Stir Casting Technique,” Mater. Today Proc. 2(4-5):2878-2885, 2015.
- Venkatesan, S. and Anthony Xavior, M. , “Tensile Behavior of Aluminum Alloy (AA7050) Metal Matrix Composite Reinforced with Graphene Fabricated by Stir and Squeeze Cast Processes,” Sci. Technol. Mater., 2018.
- M. Preparation and S. Guidelines , “International Journal of Emerging Technologies and Applications in Engineering Technology and Sciences Amoghsiddhi Education Society International Journal of Computer Applications in S a N G L I Engineering Technology and Sciences,” Managing 4(2):26-32.
- Li, Y., Bushby, A.J., and Dunstan, D.J. , “The Hall-Petch Effect as a Manifestation of the General Size Effect,” Proc. R. Soc. A Math. Phys. Eng. Sci. 472(2190):1-33, 2016.
- Rajamurugan, G. and Mahendiran, P. , “Experimental Investigation of Parameters and its Effect on IGC Attack in Ferritic Stainless Steel 430 Weldments,” App. Mech. & Mat 854:10-17, 2016, doi:10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.854.10.
- Babu, B., Karthikeyan, S.K., and Adhitya, V. , “Experimental Investigation and Analysis of Corrosion and Hardness Using Aluminium Composites,” Int. J. Lat. Tren. E & T 4(4):1-46, November 2014, 2015.