This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Demand Side Load Management by Using Priority Based Load Shedding Algorithm with and without Renewable Energy Generation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Demand side load management (DSLM) emphasizes control of the power demanded, by reducing the peak load and control of energy utilization of the system. DSLM is introduced to improve the flexibility of the grid power usage and also to aid the utilization of Renewable Energy Generation (REG) which is intermittent. In this work, implementation of load shedding (LS) algorithm for the residential load is performed with the limit of power as constraint, considering REG and grid in three different modes of operation. Solar and Wind power are the REG considered in this work. Priority Based Load Shedding (PBLS) is performed to limit the power consumption of equipment during peak hours with the implementation of varying pricing signal. In order to implement PBLS, three residential user load data for 24 hours is considered. The users are categorized as low, medium and high priority user. The priority of the user is based on the load consumption for 24 hours. The proposed LS scheme is performed, depending on the power requirements of Home Electric Devices (HEDs) and the priority of consumer. The main objective of cost reduction (power consumption) along with minimization of user discomfort is achieved by using the PBLS algorithm. Simulation results for REG islanded mode, grid connect mode and REG aided grid mode is performed. The further cost comparison is made with and without a load schedule. The scheduling of load curve is performed using Genetic Algorithm (GA) optimization.
CitationRathinam, R. and Dayalan, S., "Demand Side Load Management by Using Priority Based Load Shedding Algorithm with and without Renewable Energy Generation," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0073, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0073.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- Awais, M. et al. , “An Efficient Genetic Algorithm Based Demand Side Management Scheme for Smart Grid,” in Network-Based Information Systems (NBiS), 2015 18th International Conference on, IEEE, 351-356, Sep. 2015.
- Mohsenian-Rad, A.H. and Leon-Garcia, A. , “Optimal Residential Load Control with Price Prediction in Real-Time Electricity Pricing Environments,” IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid 2(1):120-123, Sep. 2010.
- Logenthiran, T., Srinivasan, D., and Shun, T.Z. , “Demand Side Management in Smart Grid Using Heuristic Optimization,” IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid 3(3):1244-1252, 2012.
- Agnetis, A. et al. , “Load Scheduling for Household Energy Consumption Optimization,” IEEE Transactions on Smart Grid (4):2364-2373, Dec. 2013.
- Zhu, Ziming et al. , “An Integer Linear Programming Based Optimization for Home Demand-Side Management in Smart Grid,” Innovative Smart Grid Technologies (ISGT), IEEE PES 1-5, Jan. 2012.
- Keles, C., Baykant Alagoz, B., and Kaygusuz, A. , “A Note on Demand Side Load Management by Maximum Power Limited Load Shedding Algorithm for Smart Grids,” in Smart Grid Congress and Fair (ICSG), 2015 3rd International, Istanbul, IEEE, 2015.
- Hassan, R., Abdallah, M., and Radman, G. , “Load Shedding in Smart Grid: A Reliable Efficient Ad-Hoc Broadcast Algorithm for Smart House,” in Southeastcon, 2012 Proceedings of IEEE, IEEE, 2012.
- Gouin, V., Alvarez-Hérault, M.-C., and Raison, B. , “Benefits of Load Shedding for Distribution Grids Investments Planning,” in 2015 IEEE Power & Energy Society General Meeting, IEEE, 2015.
- Douw, J.V., Lukszo, Z., and Herder, P.M. , “Incentivising Consumers in Smart Grids to Shift their Electricity Use,” in 2016 IEEE 13th International Conference on Networking, Sensing, and Control (ICNSC), IEEE, 2016.
- Hasanat, M. et al. , “An Ant Colony Optimization Algorithm for Load Shedding Minimization in Smart Grids,” in Informatics, Electronics and Vision (ICIEV), 2016 5th International Conference on, IEEE, 2016.
- Wang, Z. et al. , “Minimum Load-Shedding Calculation Approach Considering Loads Difference,” in 2014 IEEE Innovative Smart Grid Technologies-Asia (ISGT ASIA), IEEE, 2014.
- Rao, K.U. et al. , “A Novel Grading Scheme for Loads to Optimize Load Shedding Using Genetic Algorithm in a Smart Grid Environment,” in 2013 IEEE Innovative Smart Grid Technologies-Asia (ISGT Asia), IEEE, 2013.
- Accessed www.draftlogic.com on 12-01-2017.
- Accessed www.hourlypricing.comed.com on 23-03-2017.
- Accessed www.energyusecalculator.com on February 2017 for user load data.