This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Turning of Inconel 825 with Coated Carbide Tool Applying Vegetable-Based Cutting Fluid Mixed with CuO, Al2O3 and CNT Nanoparticles by MQL
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Inconel 825 is nickel (Ni)-iron (Fe)-chromium (Cr) alloy with additions of copper (Cu), molybdenum (Mo), and titanium (Ti). The alloy has excellent resistance to corrosion and is often the most cost-effective alloy in sulphuric acid piping vessels and chemical process equipment. No attempt of applying MQL with three nanofluids was reported conferring to the works accessed. The present study is focused on evaluating the effect of the addition of three nanoparticles (CuO, Al2O3, and CNT) in vegetable oil applied by MQL mode during turning of Inconel 825 with coated carbide tool. Cutting force, surface roughness, and tool wear are evaluated. The results showed that the addition of nCNT substantially improved the machining performance and smaller flank the tool edge, while the adhesion and abrasion are observed as wear mechanism and better results are obtained at 0.5% of nCNT+ vegetable oil to produce the lowest values.
CitationKannan, V. and Sundararajan, D., "Turning of Inconel 825 with Coated Carbide Tool Applying Vegetable-Based Cutting Fluid Mixed with CuO, Al2O3 and CNT Nanoparticles by MQL," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0060, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0060.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
- Kannan, V.V. and Kannan, V. , “A Comparative Study on Machinability Characteristics in Dry Machining of Inconel X-750 Alloy Using Coated Carbide Inserts,” SAE Technical Paper 2018-28-0031, 2018, doi:10.4271/2018-28-0031.
- Aytekin, H. and Akçin, Y. , “Characterization of Borided Incoloy 825 Alloy,” Materials and Design 50:515-521, 2013, doi:10.1016/j.matdes.2013.03.015.
- Thakur, A., Gangopadhyay, S., and Mohanty, A. , “Investigation on Some Machinability Aspects of Inconel 825 during Dry Turning,” Materials and Manufacturing Processes 30(8):1026-1034, 2015, doi:10.1080/10426914.2014.984216.
- Rakesh, M. and Datta, S. , “Effects of Cutting Speed on Chip Characteristics and Tool Wear Mechanisms during Dry Machining of Inconel 718 Using Uncoated WC Tool,” Arabian Journal for Science and Engineering 1-18, 2019, doi:10.1007/s13369-019-03785-y.
- Tanaka, H., Sugihara, T., and Enomoto, T. , “High Speed Machining of Inconel 718 Focusing on Wear Behaviors of PCBN Cutting Tool,” Procedia CIRP 46:545-548, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.procir.2016.03.120.
- D’Addona, D.M., Raykar, S.J., and Narke, M.M. , “High Speed Machining of Inconel 718: Tool Wear and Surface Roughness Analysis,” Procedia CIRP 62:269-274, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.procir.2017.03.004.
- Zeilmann, R.P., Fontanive, F., and Soares, R.M. , “Wear Mechanisms during Dry and Wet Turning of Inconel 718 with Ceramic Tools,” International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 92(5-8):2705-2714, 2017, doi:10.1007/s00170-017-0329-7.
- Xavior, M.A., Manohar, M., Jeyapandiarajan, P., and Madhukar, P.M. , “Tool Wear Assessment during Machining of Inconel 718,” Procedia Engineering 174:1000-1008, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.proeng.2017.01.252.
- Xavior, M.A., Patil, M., Maiti, A., Raj, M., and Lohia, N. , “Machinability Studies on INCONEL 718,” in IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, 149, 012019, IOP Publishing, 2016.
- Thakur, A. and Gangopadhyay, S. , “State-of-the-Art in Surface Integrity in Machining of Nickel-Based Superalloys,” International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture 100:25-54, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.ijmachtools.2015.10.001.
- Thakur, A., Mohanty, A., and Gangopadhyay, S. , “Comparative Study of Surface Integrity Aspects of Incoloy 825 during Machining with Uncoated and CVD Multilayer Coated Inserts,” Applied Surface Science 320:829-837, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.apsusc.2014.09.129.
- Thakur, A., Gangopadhyay, S., and Maity, K.P. , “Effect of Cutting Speed and CVD Multilayer Coating on Machinability of Inconel 825,” Surface Engineering 30(7):516-523, 2014, doi:10.1179/1743294414Y.0000000274.
- Thakur, A. and Gangopadhyay, S. , “Evaluation of Micro-Features of Chips of Inconel 825 during Dry Turning with Uncoated and Chemical Vapour Deposition Multilayer Coated Tools,” Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture. 232(6):979-994, 2018, doi:10.1177/0954405416661584.
- Thakur, A. and Gangopadhyay, S. , “Influence of Tribological Properties on the Performance of Uncoated, CVD and PVD Coated Tools in Machining of Incoloy 825,” Tribology International 102:198-212, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.triboint.2016.05.027.
- Thakur, A., Gangopadhyay, S., Maity, K.P., and Sahoo, S.,.K. , “Evaluation on Effectiveness of CVD and PVD Coated Tools during Dry Machining of Incoloy 825,” Tribology Transactions 59(6):1048-1058, 2016, doi:10.1080/10402004.2015.1131350.
- Thakur, A. and Gangopadhyay, S. , “Dry Machining of Nickel-Based Super Alloy as a Sustainable Alternative Using TiN/TiAlN Coated Tool,” Journal of Cleaner Production 129:256-268, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.04.074.
- Dhar, N.R., Ahmed, M.T., and Islam, S. , “An Experimental Investigation on Effect of Minimum Quantity Lubrication in Machining AISI 1040 Steel,” International Journal of Machine Tools and Manufacture 47(5):748-753, 2007, doi:10.1016/j.ijmachtools.2006.09.017.
- Davim, J.P. and Astakhov, V.P. , “Ecological Machining: Near-Dry Machining,” 2008, 195-223.
- Yıldırım, Ç.V., Sarıkaya, M., Kıvak, T., and Şirin, Ş. , “The Effect of Addition of hBN Nanoparticles to Nanofluid-MQL on Tool Wear Patterns, Tool Life, Roughness and Temperature in Turning of Ni-Based Inconel 625,” Tribology International 134:443-456, 2019, doi:10.1016/j.triboint.2019.02.027.
- Sharma, A.K., Tiwari, A.K., and Dixit, A.R. , “Improved Machining Performance with Nanoparticle Enriched Cutting Fluids under Minimum Quantity Lubrication (MQL) Technique: A Review,” Materials Today: Proceedings 2(4-5):3545-3551, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.matpr.2015.07.066.
- Sharma, A.K., Tiwari, A.K., and Dixit, A.R. , “Effects of Minimum Quantity Lubrication (MQL) in Machining Processes Using Conventional and Nanofluid Based Cutting Fluids: A Comprehensive Review,” Journal of Cleaner Production 127:1-18, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.03.146.
- Behera, B.C., Ghosh, S., and Rao, P.V. , “Application of Nanofluids during Minimum Quantity Lubrication: A Case Study in Turning Process,” Tribology International 101:234-246, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.triboint.2016.04.019.
- Guo, S., Li, C., Zhang, Y., Wang, Y. et al. , “Experimental Evaluation of the Lubrication Performance of Mixtures of Castor Oil with Other Vegetable Oils in MQL Grinding of Nickel-Based Alloy,” Journal of Cleaner Production 140:1060-1076, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.10.073.
- Zhang, Y., Li, C., Jia, D., Zhang, D., and Zhang, X. , “Experimental Evaluation of MoS2 Nanoparticles in Jet MQL Grinding with Different Types of Vegetable Oil as Base Oil,” Journal of Cleaner Production 87:930-940, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.jclepro.2014.10.027.
- Li, B., Li, C., Zhang, Y., Wang, Y. et al. , “Heat Transfer Performance of MQL Grinding with Different Nanofluids for Ni-Based Alloys Using Vegetable Oil,” Journal of Cleaner Production 154:1-11, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.03.213.
- Ram Kumar, P., Leo Dev Wins, K., Robinson Gnanadurai, R., and Varadarajan, A.S. , “Investigations on Hard Turning with Minimal Multiple Jet of Cutting Fluid,” in Proceedings of the International Conference on Frontiers in Design and Manufacturing Engineering, Karunya University, Coimbatore, 2008, 43, 1-2.
- Sridharan, U. and Malkin, S. , “Effect of Minimum Quantity Lubrication (MQL) with Nanofluid on Grinding Behavior and Thermal Distortion,” Transactions NAMRI/SME 37:629-636, 2009.
- Sharma, P., Sidhu, B.S., and Sharma, J. , “Investigation of Effects of Nanofluids on Turning of AISI D2 Steel Using Minimum Quantity Lubrication,” Journal of Cleaner Production 108:72-79, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.jclepro.2015.07.122.
- Sharma, A.K., Singh, R.K., Dixit, A.R., and Tiwari, A.K. , “Novel Uses of Alumina-MoS2 Hybrid Nanoparticle Enriched Cutting Fluid in Hard Turning of AISI 304 Steel,” Journal of Manufacturing Processes 30:467-482, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.jmapro.2017.10.016.
- Paturi, U.M.R., Maddu, Y.R., Maruri, R.R., and Narala, S.K.R. , “Measurement and Analysis of Surface Roughness in WS2 Solid Lubricant Assisted Minimum Quantity Lubrication (MQL) Turning of Inconel 718,” Procedia CIRP 40:138-143, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.procir.2016.01.082.
- Talib, N., Nasir, R.M., and Rahim, E.A. , “Tribological Behaviour of Modified Jatropha Oil by Mixing Hexagonal Boron Nitride Nanoparticles as a Bio-Based Lubricant for Machining Processes,” Journal of Cleaner Production 147:360-378, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.jclepro.2017.01.086.
- Jamil, M., Khan, A.M., Hegab, H., Gong, L. et al. , “Effects of Hybrid Al2O3-CNT Nanofluids and Cryogenic Cooling on Machining of Ti-6Al-4V,” The International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology 1-15, 2019, doi:10.1007/s00170-019-03485-9.
- Musavi, S.H., Davoodi, B., and Niknam, S.A. , “Effects of Reinforced Nanoparticles with Surfactant on Surface Quality and Chip Formation Morphology in MQL-Turning of Superalloys,” Journal of Manufacturing Processes 40:128-139, 2019, doi:10.1016/j.jmapro.2019.03.014.
- Venkatesan, K. and Ramanujam, R. , “Improvement of Machinability Using Laser-Aided Hybrid Machining for Inconel 718 Alloy,” Materials and Manufacturing Process 31(14):1825-1835, 2016, doi:10.1080/10426914.2015.1117626.
- Venkatesan, K., Ramanujam, R., and Kuppan, P. , “Parametric Modeling and Optimization of Laser Scanning Parameters during Laser Assisted Machining of Inconel 718,” Optical and Laser Technology 78:10-18, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.optlastec.2015.09.021.
- Venkatesan, K. and Ramanujam, R. , “Optimization of Machining Parameters in Laser Aided Hybrid Machining of Inconel 718,” International Journal of Machining and Machinability of Materials 18(3):252-272, 2016, doi:10.1504/IJMMM.2016.076277.
- Venkatesan, K., Ramanujam, R., and Kuppan, P. , “Parametric Modeling and Optimization of Laser Scanning Parameters during Laser Assisted Machining of Inconel 718,” Optics and Laser Technology 78:10-18, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.optlastec.2015.09.021.