This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Multi Characteristics Optimization of Treated Drill Tool in Drilling Operation Key Process Parameter Using TOPSIS and ANOVA Technique
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
To survive in the present global competitive world, the manufacturing sectors have been making use of various tools to achieve the high quality products at a comparatively cheaper price. Appropriate cutting set up must be used to further better the machinability of a work piece material. A longer life of the tools and equipment’s are important factors in any industry. Since the inception of the machine tool industry, cutting tool life and tool wear remain a subject of deep interest to study its failure and improvement. The present study finds out the optimum cutting results in drilling of AM60 magnesium alloy using different cryogenically treated cutting inserts. The Utility concept coupled with Taguchi with Multi response approach (TOPSIS) was employed. According to Analysis of variance (ANOVA) results, the feed was the major dominating factor followed by the cutting speed. This work deals with optimization approaches for the determination of the optimum process parameters by cryogenically treated drill HSS tools which minimizes surface roughness, torque, tool life, entry burr and tool cost, and maximizes material removal rate in a drilling operation of high-speed steel. Spindle speed, feed, and three different combinations of treated drill bits are taken as the input process parameters for this study. The experimental results obtained from design of experiment are optimized using TOPSIS and ANOVA technique to determine the optimized values.
CitationSivam Sundarlingam Paramasivam, S., Banerjee, A., and Kulkarni, A., "Multi Characteristics Optimization of Treated Drill Tool in Drilling Operation Key Process Parameter Using TOPSIS and ANOVA Technique," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0055, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0055.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 6]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 7]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 8]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 9]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 10]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 11]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 12]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 13]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 14]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 15]|
- Arul, S., Vijayaraghavan, L., Malhotra, S.K., and Krishnamurthy, R. , Int. J Mach. Tool Manu. 46(3):252-259, 2006.
- Kurt, M., Bagci, E., and Kaynak, Y. , The Int. J. Adv. Manu.f Tech. 40(5-6):458-469, 2009.
- Grilo, T.J., Paulo, R.M.F., Silva, C.R.M., and Davim, J.P. , Compos. Part B-Eng. 45(1):1344-1350, 2013.
- Ramesh, S., Viswanathan, R., and Ambika, S. , Measurement 78(1):63-72, 2016.
- Sheth, S. and George, P.M. , Precis. Eng., 2016.
- Nouari, M., List, G., Girot, F., and Coupard, D. , Wear 255(7):1359-1368, 2003.
- Shyha, I.S., Aspinwall, D.K., Soo, S.L., and Bradley, S. , Int. J. Mach. Tool Manu. 49(12):1008-1014, 2009.
- Tsao, C.C. and Hocheng, H. , J. Mater. Process. Tech. 203(1):342-348, 2008.
- Neseli, S. , Adv. Mech. Eng. 6:925382, 2014.
- Abrao, A.M., Faria, P.E., Rubio, J.C., Reis, P., and Davim, J.P. , J. Mater. Process Tech. 186(1):1-7, 2007.
- Madhavan, V., Lipczynski, G., Lane, B., and Whitenton, E. , J. Manuf. Process. 20(2):431-442, 2015.
- Jalali, S. and Kolarik, W. , “Tool Life and Machinability Models for Drilling Steels,” Int J Mach Tools Manuf 31(3):273-282, 1991.
- Çiçek, A., Kıvak, T., Ekici, E. , “Optimization of Drilling Parameters Using Taguchi Technique and Response,” 2015.
- Surface Methodology (RSM) in Drilling of AISI 304 Steel with Cryogenically Treated HSS Drills,” J Intell Manuf 26(2):295-305.
- Kıvak, T., Samtaş, G., and Cicek, A. , “Taguchi Method Based Optimisation of Drilling Parameters in Drilling of AISI 316 Steel with PVD Monolayer and Multilayer Coated HSS Drills,” Measurement 45(6):1547-1557, 2012.
- Prasanna, J., Karunamoorthy, L., Raman, M.V., Prashanth, S., and Chordia, D.R. , “Optimization of Process Parameters of Small Hole Dry Drilling in Ti-6Al-4V Using Taguchi and Grey Relational Analysis,” Measurement 48:346-354, 2014.
- Dewangan, S., Gangopadhyay, S., and Biswas, C.K. , Measurement 63(1):364-376, 2015.
- Gok, A. , Measurement 70(1):100-109, 2015.
- Kyratsis, P., Bilalis, N., and Antoniadis, A. , “CAD-Based Simulations and Design of Experiments for Determining Thrust Force in Drilling Operations,” Comput Aided Des 43(12):1879-1890, 2011.
- Sundar Singh Sivam, S.P., Loganathan, G.B., Saravanan, K. et al. , “Experimental Study and Ignition Fire Risk Mapping on Friction Stir Welding Parameters of Dissimilar Alloys for the Benefits of Environment,” Materials Today: Proceedings, doi:10.1016/j.matpr.2019.06.652.
- Singh, A.P. and Sharma, M. , “Modelling of Thrust Force during Drilling of Fibre Reinforced Plastic Composites,” Procedia Eng 51:630-636, 2013.
- Valarmathi, T., Palanikumar, K., and Latha, B. , “Measurement and Analysis of Thrust Force in Drilling of Particle Board (PB) Composite Panels,” Measurement 46(3):1220-1230, 2013.
- Inđić, D., Luković, Z., and Mučibabić, S. , “Engagement Model for NBC Service Units during Chemical Accidents,” Vojnotehničkiglasnik/Military Technical Courier 62(1):23-41, 2014.
- Sivam, S.P.S.S. et al. “Multi Response Optimization of Setting Input Variables for Getting Better Product Quality in Machining of Magnesium AM60 by Grey Relation Analysis and ANOVA,” Periodica Polytechnica Mechanical Engineering, [S.l.], 2017, doi:10.3311/PPme.11034.
- Sivam, S.P.S.S., Gopal, M., Venkatasamy, S., and Singh, S. , “An Experimental Investigation and Optimisation of Ecological Machining Parameters on Aluminium 6063 in Its Annealed and Unannealed Form,” Journal of Chemical And Pharmaceutical Sciences. 46-53, 2015.
- Sivam, S.P.S.S., Gopal, M., Venkatasamy, S., and Singh, S. , “Application of Forming Limit Diagram and Yield Surface Diagram to Study Anisotropic Mechanical Properties of Annealed and Unannealed SPRC 440E Steels,” Journal of Chemical and Pharmaceutical Sciences., 15-22, 2015, ISSN: 0974-2115.
- Sivam, S.P.S.S., Lakshman, A., Kumar, K., Moorthy, S. and Rajendrakumar , “Investigation Exploration Outcome of Heat Treatment on Corrosion Resistance of AA 5083 in Marine Application,” Journal of Science and Technology 14(S2):453-460, 2016, ISSN 0972-768X.
- Sivam, S.P.S.S., Umasekar, V.G., Mishra, A., Mishra, S., and Mondal, A. , “Orbital Cold Forming Technology - Combining High Quality Forming with Cost Effectiveness - A Review,” Indian Journal of Science and Technology 9(38), 2016, doi:10.17485/ijst/2016/v9i38/91426.
- Sivam, S.P.S.S., Uma Sekar, V.G., Saravanan, K., Rajendra Kumar, S., Karthikeyan, P., and Sathiya Moorthy, K. , “Frequently Used Anisotropic Yield Criteria for Sheet Metal Applications: A Review’, Indian Journal of Science and Technology, December, 9, 47, 2016b, DOI:10.17485/ijst/2015/v8i1/92107.
- Sivam, S.P.S.S., Bhat, M.D.J., Natarajan, S., and Chauhan, N. , “Analysis of Residual Stresses, Thermal Stresses, Cutting Forces and Other Output Responses of Face Milling Operation on ze41 Magnesium Alloy,” International Journal of Modern Manufacturing Technologies X(1):92-100, 2018, ISSN 2067-3604.
- Sivam, S.P.S.S., Saravanan, K., Pradeep, N., Moorthy, K., and Rajendrakumar, S. , “The Grey Relational Analysis and Anova to Determine the Optimum Process Parameters for Friction Stir Welding of Ti and mg Alloys,” Periodica Polytechnica Mechanical Engineering, doi:10.3311/PPme.12117.
- Sivam, P.S.S., Saravanan, K., Pradeep, N., Rajendra Kumar, S., and Karuppiah, S. , “Comparison of Manufacturing Data Analysis for 5 & 3-Axis Vertical Machining Center for the Time and Tool Benefits of Industries,” International Journal of Engineering & Technology 7(4.5):196-201, 2018, doi:10.14419/ijet.v7i4.5.20044.
- Sivam, S.P.S.S., Saravanan, K., Pradeep, N., Rajendra Kumar, S. et al. , “Development of Vibrator Feeding Mechanism Using Two Sets of Rollers for the Separation of Ball Grading for Industry Benefits,” International Journal of Engineering & Technology 7(4.5):202-206, 2018, doi:10.14419/ijet.v7i4.5.20045.
- Sivam, S.P.S.S., Rajasekaran, A., Rajendra Kumar, S., Sathiya Moorthy, K., and Gopal, M. , “A Study of Cooling Time, Copper Reduction and Effects of Alloying Elements on the Microstructure and Mechanical Properties of SG Iron Casting during Machining,” Australian Journal of Mechanical Engineering, 2019, doi:10.1080/14484846.2018.1560679.
- Sivam, S.P.S.S., Kumaran, D., Saravanan, K., Umasekar, V.G., Rajendrakumar, S., and Moorthy, K.S. , “Thickness Distribution and Numerical Modelling of Conventional Superplastic Forming in Aa2024 Alloy,” International Journal of Modern Manufacturing Technologies X(2), 76-85, 2018, ISSN 2067-3604.
- Sivam¸ S.P.S.S., Rajendra Kumar, S., Karuppiah, S., and Rajasekaran, A. , “Competitive Study of Engineering Change Process Management in Manufacturing Industry Using Product Life Cycle Management - A Case Study,” in 2017 International Conference on Inventive Computing and Informatics (ICICI), Coimbatore, 2017, 76-81, doi:10.1109/ICICI.2017.8365247.
- Sivam, S.P.S.S., Loganathan, G.B., Umasekar, V.G., Suresh Kumar, P.S., and Raja, S. , “Study on Micro Structural Characteristics and Mechanical Behaviour of AISI1050 Steel under Various Heat Treatments,” Int. J. Vehicle Structures & Systems 11(1):15-20, 2019, doi:10.4273/ijvss.11.1.04.
- Sivam, S.P.S.S., Loganathan, G.B., Saravanan, K., Umasekar, V.G., and Rameez, T.P.M. , “Optimization of Passenger Car Door Impact Beam Using Quasi Static CAE Analysis,” Int. J. Vehicle Structures & Systems 11(1):21-26, 2019, doi:10.4273/ijvss.11.1.05.
- Sivam, S.P.S.S., Saravanan, K., Loganathan, G.B., Kumaran, D., and Rajendrakumar, S. , “Root Cause Analysis for Failure of Door Lock Case Assembly during Caulking Process,” Int. J. Vehicle Structures & Systems 11(1):11-14, 2019, doi:10.4273/ijvss.11.1.03.
- Sivam, S.P.S.S., Loganathan, G.B., Saravanan, K., Umasekar, V.G., and Rajendrakumar, S. , “Numerical Evaluation and Influence of Product Quality and Its Defects Measures on the Drawing of Stainless Steel Cross Member for Automobiles,” Int. J. Vehicle Structures & Systems 11(1):107-112, 2019, doi:10.4273/ijvss.11.1.19.
- Sivam, S.P.S.S., Umasekar, V.G., Loganathan, G.B., Kumaran, D., and Rajendrakumar, S. , “Multi Response Optimization of Setting Process Variables in Face Milling of ZE41 Magnesium Alloy Using Ranking Algorithms and ANOVA,” Int. J. Vehicle Structures & Systems 11(1):47-56, 2019, doi:10.4273/ijvss.11.1.10.
- Božanić, D., Pamučar, D., and Karovic, S. , “Application the MABAC Method in Support of Decision-Making on the Use of Force in a Defensive Operation,” Technics 71:97-104, 2016.