This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Assessment of Numerical Cold Flow Testing of Gas Turbine Combustor through an Integrated Approach Using Rapid Prototyping and Water Tunnel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
In the present work, it is aimed at developing an integrated approach for combustor modeling involving rapid prototyping and water tunnel testing to assess the cold flow numerical simulations; the physical model will be subjected to cold flow visualization and parametric studies and CFD analysis to demonstrate its capability for undergoing rigorous cold flow testing. A straight through annular combustors is chosen for the present study because of it has low pressure drop, less weight and used widely in modern day aviation engines.
Numerical Analysis has been performed using ANSYS-FLUENT. Three dimensional RANS equations are solved using k-ɛ model for the Reynolds numbers ranging from 0.64 x 105-1.5 x 105 based on the annulus diameter. Post processing the results is done in terms of jet penetration, formation of recirculation zone, effective mixing, flow split and pressure drop for different cases. Physical combustor models are fabricated using Rapid prototyping with Poly Lactic Acid material and approximated 2D combustor model is used for capturing important flow patterns using high speed camera in 2D water tunnel, and for pressure measurement in vertical flow water tunnel.
Qualitative flow visualization study on 2D combustor model using 2D water tunnel reasonably compares with CFD results. It is also found that the percentage of total pressure drop normalized with the inlet total pressure of combustor is within the acceptable range (i.e. less than 10%) in CFD whereas in the physical cold flow testing, it has more deviation at the lower flow rate.
CitationSenthilkumar, S. and Pugazhendhi, S., "Assessment of Numerical Cold Flow Testing of Gas Turbine Combustor through an Integrated Approach Using Rapid Prototyping and Water Tunnel," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0051, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0051.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 4]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 5]|
- Lefebvre, A.H. and Ballal, D.R. , Gas Turbine Combustion (Academic Press, 2010).
- Mellor, A.H. , Design of Modern Turbine Combustors (Academic Press, 1990).
- Sivaramakrishna, G. et al. , “CFD Modeling of the Aero Gas Turbine Combustor,” in Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, June 4-7, 2001, New Orleans, LA, 2001-GT-0063.
- Li et al. , “Flow Characteristics in an Annular Burner with Fully Film Cooling,” Applied Thermal Engineering, 2005.
- Ananda Reddy, G. and Ganesan, V. , “Non-Reacting Flow Analysis from Combustor Inlet to Outlet Using Computational Fluid Dynamics Code,” Defense Science Journal, 2004.
- Crocker, D.S., Nickolaus, D., and Smith, C.E. , “CFD Modeling of a Gas Turbine Combustor from Compressor Exit to Turbine Inlet,” Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, ASME, 1999.
- McGuirk, J.J. and Palma, J.M.L.M. , “Calculations of the Dilution System in an Annular Gas Turbine Combustor,” AIAA, 1992.
- Koutmos, P. and McGuirk, J.J. , “Isothermal Modeling of Gas Turbine Combustors: Computational Study,” Journal of Propulsion, AIAA, 1991.
- Gieras, M. and Stankowski, T. , “Computational Study of an Aerodynamic Flow through a Micro-Turbine Engine Combustor,” Journal of Power Technologies 92(2):68-79, 2012.
- Mohan, R., Singh, S.N. and Agrawal, D.P. , “Flow Split in a Reverse Flow Combustor,” in Proceedings 22nd National Conference for Fluid Mechanics & Fluid Power, IIT, Madras, 1995, 182-186.
- Garg, G., Bharani, S., Singh, S.N. and Seshadri, V. , “Flow Characteristics Around the Liner of an Annular Gas Turbine Combustor Model,” in Proceedings 28th National Conference for Fluid Mechanics & Fluid Power, PEC, Chandigarh, Dec. 13-15, 2001, 3-11.
- Green, A.S. and Whitelaw, J.H. , “Isothermal Models of Gas Turbine Combustor,” J Fluid Mechanics 126:399-412, 1983.
- Moin, P. and Apte, S.V. , “Large-Eddy Simulation of Realistic Gas Turbine Combustors,” Stanford Annual Research Briefs, 2006.
- Patil, S. and Montanari, F. , “Reynolds-Averaged Navier-Stokes and Large-Eddy Simulation Investigation of Lean Premixed Gas Turbine Combustor,” ASME Journal of Engineering for Gas Turbines and Power, 2015.
- Malecki, R.E., Rhie, C.M., McKinney, R.G., Ouyang, H. et al. , “Application of an Advanced CFD-Based Analysis System to the PW6000 Combustor to Optimize Exit Temperature Distribution - Part I: Description and Validation of the Analysis Tool,” in Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo 2001, 2001-GT-0062.
- Green, A. and Whitelaw, J.H. , “Measurements and Calculation of Isothermal Flow in Axisymmetric Models of Combustor Geometries,” Journal Mechanical Engineering Science, IMechE, 1980.
- Toral, J.H. and Whitelaw , “Velocity and Scalar Characteristics of the Isothermal and Combusting Flows,” Combustion and Flame 45:251-272, 1982.
- Holdeman, J.D. and Srinivasan, R. , “Modeling Dilution Jet Flowfields,” Journal of Propulsion, AIAA, 1986.
- Bharani, S., Singh, S.N., and Agarwal, D.P. , “Sector Model: An Approach for Experimental Studies of Gas Turbine Combustors,” Indian Journal of Engineering & Material Science, 1997.
- Bharani, S., Singh, S.N., and Agarwal, D.P. , “Flow Characteristics in the Liner of a Reverse-Flow Gas Turbine Combustor,” Proc Inst. Mech. Engrs. Part A, IMechE 215:443-451, 2001.
- Bharani, S., Singh, S.N., and Agrawal, D.P. , “Effect of Swirl on the Flow Characteristics on the Outer Annulus of a Prototype Reverse Flow Gas Turbine Combustor,” Experimental Thermal & Fluid Sciences 25:337-347, 2001.
- Agrawal, M.D. and Bharani, S. , “On Annulus Flow Characteristics and Performance of Dilution Holes in a Gas Turbine Combustor,” in Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo 2004, GT2004-53376.
- Dalton, M. and Badarinath, C. , “Estimation of Overall Total Pressure Loss of an Annular Combustor by Water Tunnel Experiments,” in Seventh National Conference of Air Breathing Engines and Aerospace Propulsion, NCABE-2004.
- Srinivasa Rao, M. and Sivaramakrishna, G. , “Performance Improvement of an Aero Gas Turbine Combustor,” in Proceedings of ASME Turbo Expo, 2009, GT2009-59928.
- Shankar, V. , “Workshop on Design and Development of Combustion Systems for an Aero Gas Turbine Engine,” IIT Kanpur, 2009.
- Royce, Rolls , “The Jet Engine,” Rolls Royce Plc, 1996.