This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Impact of Waste Plastic Oil and Its Blends on Performance Combustion and Emission Characteristics of CRDI Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Utilization of diesel is augmented consistently by transportation and industrial sectors which is making its existence obsolete in near future. Tremendous research has been done by many researchers to find an appropriate alternative for diesel fuel, in this scenario abundant acquisition of plastic wastes and their improper retreating techniques has grabbed the attention of researchers to convert them into alternative fuel for IC engines. This experimental investigation aims to study the performance, combustion and emission characteristics of common rail direct injection (CRDI) fuelled with waste plastic oil and diesel blends at different injection strategies and at various loading conditions. From the results it is noticed that slight decline in the thermal efficiency of the engine when operated with waste plastic oil (100%) due to high viscosity and lower heating value. There was a momentous diminishment in NOx emissions for low injection pressures of plastic diesel blend (P30). This study shows that waste plastic oil blend can be successfully used as fuel in the diesel engines without any considerable modifications.
CitationKrishna Chaitanya, A. and Pappula, B., "Impact of Waste Plastic Oil and Its Blends on Performance Combustion and Emission Characteristics of CRDI Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0047, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0047.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
- BP Statistical Review , “2016 BP Statistical Review of World Energy (65th Edition; bp.com/statistical Review),” June 2016, 44 pages.
- Sayin, C., Ilhan, M., Canakci, M., Gumus, M. et al. , “Effect of Injection Timing on the Exhaust Emissions of a Diesel Engine Using Diesel-Methanol Blends,” Renew. Energy 34:1261-1269, 2009, doi:10.1016/j.renene.2008.10.010.
- Lepperhoff, G. , “Influences on the Particle Size Distribution of Diesel Particulate Emissions,” Top. Catal. 16(17):249-254, 2001, doi:10.1023/A:1016636410221.
- Knox, R.S. , “Physical Aspects of the Greenhouse Effect and Global Warming,” Am J Phys. 67(12):1227-1238, 1999, doi:10.1119/1.19109.
- Gangwar, J.N., Gupta, T., Gupta, S., Agarwal, A.K. et al. , “Emission from Diesel versus Biodiesel Fuel Used in CRDI SUV Engine: PM Mass and Chemical Composition Investigation,” Inhal. Toxicol. 23(8):449-458, 2011, doi:10.4209/aaqr.2014.01.0021.
- Broatch, A., Olmeda, P., García, A., Salvador-Iborra, J. et al. , “Impact of Swirl on In-Cylinder Heat Transfer in a Light-Duty Diesel Engine,” Energy 119(15):1010-1023, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2016.11.040.
- Dhar, A., Agarwal, A.K. et al. , “Experimental Investigations of the Effect of Pilot Injection on Performance, Emissions and Combustion Characteristics of Karanja Biodiesel Fuelled CRDI Engine,” Energy Convers. Manage. 93:357-366, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2014.12.090.
- Syed Aalam, C., Saravanan, C.G., PremAnand, B. et al. , “Impact of High Fuel Injection Pressure on the Characteristics of CRDI Diesel Engine Powered by Mahua Methyl Ester Blend,” Appl. Therm. Eng. 106:702-711, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.applthermaleng.2016.05.176.
- Duda, K., Wierzbicki, S., Śmieja, M., Mikulski, M. et al. , “Comparison of Performance and Emissions of a CRDI Diesel Engine Fuelled with Biodiesel. of Different Origin,” Fuel 212:202-222, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2017.09.112.
- Armas, O., Gómez, A., Ramos, A. et al. , “Comparative Study of Pollutant Emissions from Engine Starting with Animal Fat Biodiesel and GTL Fuels,” Fuel 113:560-570, 2013.
- Turkcan, A. , “Effects of High Bioethanol Proportion in the Biodiesel-Diesel Blends in a CRDI Engine,” Fuel 223:53-62, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2018.03.032.
- Yilmaz, N., Vigil, F.M., Donaldson, A.B., Darabseh, T. et al. , “Investigation of CI Engine Emissions in Biodiesel-Ethanol-Diesel Blends as a Function of Ethanol Concentration,” Fuel 115:790-793, 2014, doi:10.1016/j.expthermflusci.2018.07.009.
- Syed Aalam, C. and Saravanan, C.G. , “Effects of Nano Metal Oxide Blended Mahua Biodiesel on CRDI Engine,” Ain Shams Eng. J. 8:689-696, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.asej.2015.09.013.
- Guo, L. and Wu, D.Q. , “Study of Recycling Singapore Solid Waste as Land Reclamation Filling Material,” Sustain Environ Res. 27:1-6, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.serj.2016.10.003.
- Oncel, M.S., Bektas, N., Bayar, S., Engin, G. et al. , “Hazardous Wastes and Waste Generation Factors for Plastic Products Manufacturing Industries in Turkey,” Sustain Environ Resource 27:188-194, 2017, doi:10.3390/su10051664.
- Wong, S.L., Ngadi, N., Abdullah, T.A.T., Inuwa, I.M. et al. , “Current State and Future Prospects of Plastic Waste as Source of Fuel: A Review,” Renew Sustain Energy Rev. 50:1167-1180, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.rser.2015.04.063.
- Pappula, B., Pitchaipillai, P. et al. , “MEA and DEE as Additives on Diesel Engine Using Waste Plastic Oil Diesel Blends,” Sustainable Environ. Res. 28:142-147, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.serj.2018.01.001.
- Ayodhya, A.S., Venkatesh Lamani, T. et al. , “Effect of Exhaust Gas Recirculation on a CRDI Engine Fueled with Waste Plastic Oil Blend,” Fuel 227:394-400, 2018, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2018.04.128.
- Murugan, S., Ramaswamy, M.C., Nagarajan, G. et al. , “A Comparative Study on the Performance, Emission and Combustion Studies of a DI Diesel Engine Using Distilled Tyre Pyrolysis Oil-Diesel Blends,” Fuel 87(10):2111-2121, 2008, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2008.01.008.
- Mani, M., Nagarajan, G., Sampath, S. et al. , “Characterization and Effect of Using Waste Plastic Oil and Diesel Fuel Blends in Compression Ignition Engine,” Energy 36(1):212-219, 2011, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2010.10.049.
- Kaimal, V.K., Vijayabalan, P. et al. , “A Detailed Study of Combustion Characteristics of a DI Diesel Engine Using Waste Plastic Oil and Its Blends,” Energy Convers. Manage. 105:951-956, 2015, doi:10.1016/j.enconman.2015.08.043.
- Kalargaris, I., Tian, G., Gu, S. et al. , “Combustion, Performance and Emission Analysis of a DI Diesel Engine Using Plastic Pyrolysis Oil,” Fuel Process Technology 157:108-115, 2017, doi:10.1016/j.fuproc.2016.11.016.
- Teng, H. and Regner, G. , “Fuel Injection Strategy for Reducing NOx Emissions from Heavy Duty Diesel Engines Fueled with DME,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3324, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-3324.
- Kidoguchi, Y., Yang, C., Kato, R., Miwa, K. et al. , “Effects of Fuel Cetane Number and Aromatics on Combustion Process and Emissions of a Direct-Injection Diesel Engine,” JSAE Rev. 21(4):469-475, 2000, doi:10.1243%2F09544070JAUTO227.
- Gnanasekaran, S., Saravanan, N., and Ilangkumaran, M. , “Influence of Injection Timing on Performance, Emission and Combustion Characteristics of a DI Diesel Engine Running on Fish Oil Biodiesel,” Energy 116:1218-1229, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.energy.2016.10.039.
- Panda, A.K., Murugan, S., Singh, R.K. et al. , “Performance and Emission Characteristics of Diesel Fuel Produced from Waste Plastic Oil Obtained by Catalytic Pyrolysis of Waste Polypropylene,” Energy Sources Part A 38(4):568-576, 2016, doi:10.1080/15567036.2013.800924.
- Murugan, S., Ramaswamy, M.C., and Nagarajan, G. , “Tyre Pyrolysis Oil as an Alternate Fuel for Diesel Engines,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2190, 2005, doi:10.1016/j.wasman.2008.03.007.
- Kaimal, V.K., Vijayabalan, P. et al. , “An Investigation on the Effects of Using DEE Additive in a DI Diesel Engine Fuelled with Waste Plastic Oil,” Fuel 180:90-96, 2016, doi:10.1016/j.fuel.2016.04.030.