This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Study of Effect of Material and Orientation on Strength of Side Door Intrusion Beam
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Nowadays more and more people are concerned about the safety rating of their vehicle. The safety rating depends on the ability of the car to minimize the injury to the occupants post-crash. Crashworthiness of the vehicle is determined by carrying out various tests such as static and dynamic tests. Side crashes are one of the leading causes of fatal injury following front crashes. Side door strength is dependent on the door components such as latch and striker, hinge, door beam etc. Lateral stiffness is contributed significantly by the side door beam in the door structure. The side door beam limits the side intrusion into passenger compartment. This paper emphasizes the effect of intrusion beam materials and orientation in the side door strength with a numerical approach using ANSYS tool. These factors affect the strength and weight of the door. The simulation study with respect to door design is cost-effective and time-saving. Side door intrusion test as per IS 12009 norms is simulated in the software and are substantiated by the experimental test results of existing literature.
CitationChandak, M., Antariksh, H., Saurabh, C., and Chidambaram, K., "Numerical Study of Effect of Material and Orientation on Strength of Side Door Intrusion Beam," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0039, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0039.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- W.H.O 2004
- Pathak , A. , Kumar , A. , and Lamba , R. Effect of Beam Layout and Specification on Side Door Strength of Passenger Cars: An Experimental Approach to Analyze its Effect and Contribution to Door Strength SAE Technical Paper 2017-26-0023 2017 10.4271/2017-26-0023
- Nousho , H. , Sasakura , Y. , Miyamoto , T. , and Sakurai , H. Development of Door Guard Beams Utilizing Ultra High Strength Steel SAE Technical Paper 810031 1981 10.4271/810031
- Plourde , L. , Azzouz , M. , Wallace , J. , and Chellman , M. MMLV: Door Design and Component Testing SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-0409 2015 10.4271/2015-01-0409
- Singh , N. , Thakur , R. , and Cyriac , M. Investigation of Relation between Sub System Level (Quasi-Static) Side Door Intrusion to Side Collision Test SAE Technical Paper 2015-26-0171 2015 10.4271/2015-26-0171
- Veeraswamy , K. and Sudheer Babu , V.V.