This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fatigue Life Prediction of Heavy Duty Automobile’s Brake Drum through Coupled Thermo-Mechanical Analysis
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
The aim of this paper is to demonstrate the methodology to simulate the induced stresses/strains due to thermo-mechanical loading of automobile brake drum.. The brake drum undergoes mechanical load due to applied brake pressure and thermal load due to friction generated between brake pad and brake drum while brake is applied. This coupled thermo-mechanical loading affects the life of the brake drum as the stiffness of the brake drum is reduced. The conventional method of simulating this problem is done using Lagrangian discretization in which the load is applied and inertia effect due to angular velocity is applied to a drum at static condition. In contrast, in this paper Eulerian discretization is adopted for finite element analysis, in which drum brake model is discretized as spatially dependent that facilitates actual rotation of brake drum with simultaneous application of brake load resulting more precise simulation. A sequentially coupled transient thermo-mechanical analysis is carried out using ABAQUS 6.12 simulation tool to predict the induced stresses/strains and fatigue life of the brake drum.
CitationAnnamalai, K. and Naiju, C., "Fatigue Life Prediction of Heavy Duty Automobile’s Brake Drum through Coupled Thermo-Mechanical Analysis," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0031, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0031.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Bhide, G., Chavan, S., and Sobale, A. , “CAE Used for Durability Analysis - A Case Study,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-26-311, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-26-311.
- Halászi, C., Gaier, C., and Dannbauer, H. , “Fatigue Life Prediction of Thermo-Machanically Loaded Engine Components,” in 11th European Automotive Congress, Budapest, 2007.
- Maluf, O., Spinelli, D., Moreto, J.A., Santos, J.C., Colósio, M.A., Angeloni, M., and Filho, W.W.B. , “Thermomechanical and Isothermal Fatigue Behavior of Gray Cast Iron for Automotive Brake Discs,” INTECH Open Access Publisher, 201l.
- Batra, R.C. and Kim, C.H. , “Effect of Viscoplastic Flow Rules on the Initiation and Growth of Shear Bands at High Strain Rates,” Journal of the Mechanics and Physics of Solids (6):859-874, 1990.
- Arvidsson, J. and Grönvall, J. , “Analysis of Creep in Paperboard Packages with Plastic Tops,” 2004.
- Renström, J. , FEM-Modellering av bantransport för trycktekniska tillämpningar (Stockholm: KTH Solid Mechanics, 1998).
- Kolseth, P. and De Ruvo, A. , “The Measurement of Viscoelastic Behavior for the Characterization of Time-, Temperature-, and Humidity-Dependent Properties,” Handbook of Physical and Mechanical Testing of Paper and Paperboard 1:255-322, 1983.
- François, D., Pineau, A., and Zaoui, A. , “Mechanical Behaviour of Materials,” Vol II: Viscoplasticity, Damage, Fracture and Contact Mechanics, 1998, 401.
- Kumar, A. and Sabarish, R. , “Structural and Thermal Analysis of Brake Drum,” Middle-East Journal of Scientific Research 20(6):709-714, 2014.
- Raju, P.R., Satyanarayana, B., Ramji, K., and Babu, K.S. , “Evaluation of Fatigue Life of Aluminum Alloy Wheels Under Radial Loads,” Engineering Failure Analysis 14(5):791-800, 2007.
- Morrow, J.D. , “Cyclic Plastic Strain Energy and Fatigue of Metals,” in Internal Friction, Damping, and Cyclic Plasticity, ASTM International, 1965.
- Belytschko, T., Liu, W.K., Moran, B., and Elkhodary, K. , Nonlinear Finite Elements for Continua and Structures (John Wiley & Sons, 2013), 96-180.
- Pevec, M., Oder, G., Potrč, I., and Šraml, M. , “Elevated Temperature Low Cycle Fatigue of Grey Cast Iron Used for Automotive Brake Discs,” Engineering Failure Analysis 42:221-230, 2014.
- Nguyen-Tajan, T., Thomas, J., Houari, M., Du, Z.Z., Snyma, M., Nagtegaal, J., and Maitournam, H. , “A Computationally Efficient Eulerian Algorithm for Sequentially Coupled Thermal Mechanical Analysis of a Solid Brake Disc,” in ABAQUS Users’ Conference, Stockholm, Sweden, 2005, 363-372.