This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fuel Efficiency Improvement in Automatic Transmissions by Lockup Slip Methodology
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Increasing of automatic transmissions in passenger cars is based on pleasure of driving, smooth acceleration and easy operation makes the customer satisfaction. Challenges beyond 2020 is BS VI emission norms in India - a very tough goals on CO2& NOx reduction in Gasoline & Diesel vehicles. But its setback in lower fuel economy.
To support & enhance fuel economy in Automatic transmissions as part of drivetrain technologies, this article discusses about the power losses in torque converters and experiments on the actual Automatic transmission (AT) vehicle on-road to understand the real city driving behavior in the aspects of gear utilization & gas pedal utilization throughout the entire traffic conditions. With that data research, slip area and slipping conditions is determined & clutch slip control is enabled at area in torque converter by ensuring that NVH parameters are not affected.
The addition of the Lock-up Slip system add value in terms of “Joy of Driving” by providing a 2-3% improvement in fuel economy over the previous one.
CitationSukumar, A., "Fuel Efficiency Improvement in Automatic Transmissions by Lockup Slip Methodology," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0029, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0029.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- “Auto How Stuff Works Web Site - Torque Converter”.
- Fischer, R. and Otto, D. , “Torque Converter Clutch Systems.”
- Suzuki, T., Sugiura, H., Niinomi, A., and Maezuka, S. , “New RWD 10 Speed Automatic Transmission for Passenger Vehicles,” 2017.
- Greiner, J. and Grumbach, M. , “Automatic Transmission Systems Beyond 2020 - Challenges and Competition,” SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1273, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-1273.
- Kono, K., Itoh, H., Shinya, N., and Kenichi, Y. , “Torque Converter Clutch Slip Control System,” 1992.
- Hoonpark, D., Tae Seok, S., Do Gi, L., and Cho, H.B. , “Theoretical Investigation on Automatic Transmission Efficiency,” 1992.
- Wellmann, T., Govindswamy, K., and Tomazic, D. , “Impact of the Future Fuel Economy Targets on Powertrain, Driveline and Vehicle NVH Development,” 2017.