This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Prototype Design of a Small Scale Thermionic Energy Generator for Waste Heat Recovery in Hybrid Electric Vehicle
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
Sustainable energy solution for hybrid electric vehicles is an important area of research. Mobility and its ease is therefore being an essential component of development. Automotive technology is an area where methods are explored in recent times to provide sustainable solution for reduction of fuel consumption and carbon emissions by switching to hybrid technology and electric vehicles where regeneration of energy plays an important role. At present the research is focused on achieving methods of solid state conversion of heat into electricity but it is limited to thermoelectric methods which has lower conversion efficiency. A comparative analysis of the direct energy convertors shows that thermionic energy conversion stands better with a higher conversion efficiency. Very close and non-contact type of electrode spacing having electrical insulation provided with vacuum or inert gas environment is the basic requirement while designing any thermionic energy generator. Identifying these key research challenges, this article discusses the design of a prototype small scale thermionic generator. The paper hence explores a platform for conducting experimental research on solid state thermionic conversion, space charge limitation and thermionic emission using low work function materials.
CitationKodihal, K. and Sagar, A., "Prototype Design of a Small Scale Thermionic Energy Generator for Waste Heat Recovery in Hybrid Electric Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0027, 2019.
- Sahoo, D., Kotrba, A., Steiner, T., and Swift, G. , “Waste Heat Recovery for Light-Duty Truck Application Using Thermo Acoustic Converter Technology,” SAE Int. J. Engines 10(2):196-202, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-0153.
- Donateo, T. , “Intelligent Usage of Internal Combustion Engines in Hybrid Electric Vehicles,” Intech Open Science., doi:10.5772/48120.
- Orr, B., Akbarzadeh, A., Mochizuki, M., and Singh, R. , “A Review of Car Waste Heat Recovery Systems Utilising Thermoelectric Generators and Heat Pipes,” Applied Thermal Engineering 101:490-495, 2016.
- García-Contreras, R., Agudelo, A., Gómez, A., Fernández-Yáñez, P. et al. , “Thermoelectric Energy Recovery in a Light-Duty Diesel Vehicle under Real-World Driving Conditions at Different Altitudes with Diesel, Biodiesel and GTL Fuels,” Energies 12:1105, 2019, doi:10.3390/en12061105.
- Yaghoobi, P., Vahdani Moghaddam, M., and Nojeh, A. , “Solar Electron Source and Thermionic Solar Cell,” AIP Adv. 2(42139), 2012.
- Schwede, J.W., Sarmiento, T., Narasimhan, V.K., Rosenthal, S.J. et al. , “Photon-Enhanced Thermionic Emission from Heterostructures with Low Interface Recombination,” Nat. Commun. 4(1576), 2013.
- McCarthy, T., Reifenberger, R., and Fisher, T. , “Thermionic and Photo-Excited Electron Emission for Energy-Conversion Processes,” Front. Energy Res. 2(54), 2014.
- Xuan, X.C. , “Optimization of a Combined Thermionic-Thermoelectric Generator,” Journal of Power Sources 115:167-170, 2002.
- Lee, J., Bargatin, I., Iwami, K., Littau, K. et al. , Encapsulated Thermionic Energy Convertor (2012), 493-496.
- Humphrey, T., O’Dwyer, M., and Shakouri, A. , “A Further Comparison of Solid-State Thermionic and Thermoelectric Refrigeration,” in 24th International Conference on Thermoelectrics, IEEE Publication, 2005, 196-199.
- Tsai, H.-L. and Jium-Ming, L. , “Model Building and Simulation of Thermoelectric Module Using Matlab/Simulink,” Journal of Electronic Materials 39(9):2105-2111, 2009.
- Gang, X. et al. , “Thermionic Energy Conversion for Concentrating Solar Power,” Applied Energy 1318-1342, 2017.
- Fairchild, S.B., Back, T.C., Murray, P.T., Cahay, M.M., and Shiffler, D.A. , “Low Work Function CsI Coatings for Enhanced Field Emission Properties,” Journal of Vacuum Science & Technology A 29(031402), 2011.
- Kamarul, A., Abdul, K., Leong, J., and Khairudin, M. , “Review on Thermionic Energy Converters,” IEEE Transactions on Electron Devices 63:2231-2224, 2016.
- Belbachir, R.Y., An, Z., and Ono, T. , “Thermal Investigation of a Micro-Gap Thermionic Power Generator,” J. Micromech. Microeng. 24(85009), 2014.
- Wang, Y., Su, S., Lin, B., and Chen, J. , “Parametric Design Criteria of an Irreversible Vacuum Thermionic Generator,” Journal of Applied Physics 114(053502), 2013.
- Lo, F.S., Lu, P.S., Ragan-kelley, B., Minnich, A. et al. , “Modelling a Thermionic Energy Converter Using Finite-Difference Time-Domain Particle-In Cell Simulations,” Physics of Plasmas 21(023510), 2014.
- Liu, Y., Raza, H., and Fisher, T.S. , “Simulation of Thermionic Emission from a Quantum Wire Using the Non-Equilibrium Green’s Function Method,” ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, 2004.
- Lee, J.-H., Bargatin, I., Melosh, N.A., and Howe, R.T. , “Optimal Emitter-Collector Gap for Thermionic Energy Converters,” Appl. Phys. Lett. 100(173904), 2012.
- Moyzhes, B. and Geballe, T. , “The Thermionic Energy Convertor as a Topping Cycle for More Efficient Heat Engines-New Triode Designs with a Longitudinal Magnetic Field,” J. Phys. D Appl. Phys. 38:782, 2005.
- Meir, S., Stephanos, C., Geballe, T.H., and Mannhart, J. , “Highly-Efficient Thermoelectric Conversion of Solar Energy and Heat into Electric Power,” J. Renew. Sustain. Energy 5(43127), 2013.
- Regan, W., Byrnes, S., Gannett, W., Ergen, O. et al. , “Screening-Engineered Field-Effect Solar Cells,” Nano Lett. 12:4300-4304, 2012.
- King, Donald B., Zavadil, Kevin R., Jennison, Dwight R., Battaile, Corbett C. and Marshall, Albert C. , “Low Work Function Material Development for the Microminiature Thermionic Converter,” Sandia Report Sand 2004-0555, 2004.
- Trucchi, D. and Melosh, N. , “Electron-Emission Materials: Advances, Applications, and Models,” MRS Bull. 42:488-492, 2017.
- David, B., John, R., Jeffrey, G., Jochen, M. et al. , “Thermionic Energy Conversion in the Twenty-First Century: Advances and Opportunities for Space and Terrestrial Applications,” Journal Frontiers in Mechanical Engineering 3(13), 2017.
- Trucchi, D.M. and Melosh, N.A. , “Guest Editors., Electron-Emission Materials: Advances, Applications, and Models,” MRS Bulletin 42, July 2017.
- Zabeka, D. and Morinib, F. , “Solid State Generators and Energy Harvesters for Waste Heat Recovery and Thermal Energy Harvesting,” Thermal Science and Engineering Progress 9:235-247, March 2019.
- Lo, F.S., Lu, P.S., Ragan-Kelley, B., Minnich, A. et al. , “Modeling a Thermionic Energy Converter Using Finite-Difference Time-Domain Particle-In- Cell Simulations,” Physics of Plasmas (1994-Present) 21(023510), 2014, doi:10.1063/1.4865828.