This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Design of a Novel Electro-Pneumatic Gear Shift System for a Sequential Gearbox
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 11, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Event: International Conference on Advances in Design, Materials, Manufacturing and Surface Engineering for Mobility
This paper describes the design of a novel pneumatic gear shifting system to replace the existing gear stick manual shifting system for ease of the driver while shifting gears. The aim of this work is to have a semi-automatic shifting (pneumatic shifting) removing the need for the driver clutch operation. The system consists of a solenoid valve, CO2 gas-pressurized cylinder, double-acting cylinder, and single-acting cylinder. On basis of the signal received the gear needs to be changed, the shifter opens or closes a magnetic valve assembly. The solenoid valve allows the compressed air into the piston that comes from a pressurized cylinder, in order to create the effect of shifting gears. The pedal shifter and buttons are used to shift the gears. The pedal shifter was designed by using a 3-D printing technique using PLA material. The microcontroller used is ATMEGA-328 in this system. There are three switches, one for upshift, downshift, and clutch respectively. An algorithm has been created in a microcontroller for a sequential gearbox of CBR 600RR. The system has been so developed that the above idea can be used on different types of sequential gearboxes by modifying the algorithm with input changes to the force, torque, and length of the lever required to shift the gear with respect to the amount of gas consumed. The above work can be utilized in race cars to achieve a reduction in gearshift times. On perfect implementation of the pneumatic shifting system, the driver can put both hands on the steering wheel at all times.
CitationJain, J., Mittal, V., Raghuraman, D., Rathore, S. et al., "Design of a Novel Electro-Pneumatic Gear Shift System for a Sequential Gearbox," SAE Technical Paper 2019-28-0011, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-28-0011.
- Szabo , A. , Besci , T. , Gasper , P. , Aradi , S. Control Design of an Electro-Pneumatic Gearbox Actuator 2018 14th IEEE/ASME International Conference on Mechatronic and Embedded Systems and Applications (MESA) July 2-4 2018 10.1109/MESA.2018.8449145
- Prabal , R. , Schindele , D. , Aschemann , H. , Butt , S.S. Model-Based Control of an Electro-Pneumatic Clutch Using a Sliding-Mode Approach 2012 7th IEEE Conference on Industrial Electronics and Applications(ICIEA) July 18-20 2012 10.1109/ICIEA.2012.636095
- Teimourian , H. , Khan , S. , Tavakoli , S. , and Alavizadeh , A. Externally Electro-Pneumatically Shifting System (E.P.S) to Install on Manual Transmissions SAE 2012 Commercial Vehicle Engineering Congress September 2012
- Enomoto , H. , Hironari , M. , Yousuke , F. , and Noaki , U. Simplification of the Shift/Clutch Operations for the Formula SAE Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2007-32-0116 2007 10.4271/2007-32-0116
- Tseng , C.-Y. and Yu , C.-H. Advanced Shifting Control of Synchronizer Mechanisms for a Clutchless Automatic Manual Transmission in an Electric Vehicle Mechanism and Machine Theory 84 2015
- Balau , A.-E. et al. 2011 Simulation, and Control of an Electro-Hydraulic Actuated Clutch Mechanical Systems and Signal Processing October 2015
- Paolo , G. et al. Identification and Control of a Motorcycle Electro-Hydraulic Clutch IEEE October 6, 2015
- Szimandl , B. , Nemeth , H. 2012 10.1016/j.mechatronics.2012.10.006