This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
1D Tire Model Parameter Synthesis for Vehicle Handling Targets Assessment “A Strategy of Optimization and Evaluation of Tire Math’s”
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 9, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Handling performance of a vehicle is a key characteristic determining the response of vehicle under different operating scenarios. An insight into these vehicle-handling characteristics at early stage can be extremely useful in the design and development process. Tire characterization and tuning is important and mandatory to scrutinize each functional and individual parameter of tire. Tire force and moment data is having a significant effect in vehicle handling. Segregation of tire parameter, which is contributing vehicle-handling performance, helps to identify and perform optimization for improvisation.
The main objective of this study is development and integration optimized 1D tire model into multibody dynamics model of the vehicle to observe various vehicle compliances towards its handling performance target. First part of the work deals with 1D tire model parameter synthesis tool development utilized for calculation of tire parameters such as lateral force and aligning torque for different loading condition and varying slip angle. These parameters are the function of slip angle and inclination (camber) angle and slip ratio. Second part of the work focuses on vehicle handling assessment using tire model characterization results obtained during first part of the study. Tire model characterization is dependent on tire force and moment, which are directly related to frictional coefficient and tire lateral load transfer function between tire and road.
Outcome of current work results in optimal 1D slope function of tire force and moment data, which is essential for vehicle handling metric estimation such as understeer, steering sensitivity and roll gradient etc. Furthermore the developed tire synthesis and optimization process helps to evaluate vehicle ride and handling performance targets upfront, i.e. before availability of physical tire.
CitationPattathil, A., Kumar, S., and Iqbal, S., "1D Tire Model Parameter Synthesis for Vehicle Handling Targets Assessment “A Strategy of Optimization and Evaluation of Tire Math’s”," SAE Technical Paper 2019-26-0361, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-26-0361.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Allen, R.W., Thomas, T.M., Rossenthal, T.J., and David, H.K. , “The Effect of Tire Characteristics on Vehicle Handling and Stability,” SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0698, 2000, doi:10.4271/2000-01-0698.
- Federico, M., Roberto, S. et al. , “A New Mathematical-Physical 2D Tire Model for Handling Optimization on a Vehicle,” SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0789, 1999, doi:10.4271/1999-01-0789.
- Xia, X. and Wills, J.N. , “The Effects of Tire Cornering Stiffness on Vehicle Linear Handling Performance,” SAE Technical Paper 950313, 1995, doi:10.4271/950313.
- Clover, C.L. and Bernard, J.E. , “The Influence of Lateral Load Transfer Distribution of Directional Response,” SAE Technical Paper 930763, 1993, doi:10.4271/930763.
- Daniel, V. and Roberto, S.B. , “Analytical Models Correlation for Vehicle Dynamic Handling Properties,” Journal of Brazil Society of Mechanical Science and Engineering, 2011.
- Chen, H.F. and Guenther, D.A. , “The Effects of Suspension Stiffness on Handling Responses,” SAE Technical Paper 911928, 1991, doi:10.4271/911928.
- Thomas, D.G. , Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics.
- Milliken, W.F., Milliken, D.L. , Race Car Vehicle Dynamics.
- Pacejka, H.B. , Tire and Vehicle Dynamics.
- MSC ADAMS/Car “Understeer Budget Calculation”.
- Society of Automotive Engineers , “Vehicle Dynamics Terminology,” 2008.