This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Mathematical Modelling and Analysis of Vane Type Variable Displacement Oil Pump
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In today’s scenario, both in gasoline and diesel engines, it is important to reduce power consumed by the auxiliary devices causing parasitic loss. Oil pump is one such device, used for lubrication purpose, which consumes higher power developed by the engine causing parasitic loss. Conventionally gerotor construction pumps are predominantly used in majority of engines, owing to its simpler construction, lower NVH and cost. However, this type being a positive displacement pump, consumes higher power with increase in speed. Hence, variable displacement oil pumps are gaining importance as the oil flow rate can be varied over the entire engine operating range. In this work, basic design elements of variable displacement oil pump are identified followed by building of mathematical model to calculate the critical design parameters. The basic mathematical model built can calculate oil flow rate, leakage losses and power consumption at different speed and load conditions. Proto samples were also built and tested at steady state conditions at different speed and load conditions. Results obtained shows that the mathematical model can predict the performance with in an accuracy of 5%. Hence, the developed mathematical model can be used as a tool for optimizing the design to achieve the target flow requirement with least power consumption.
CitationJayanthamani, S., Sivanantham, R., Muthu Suthan, A., Ibrahim, M. et al., "Mathematical Modelling and Analysis of Vane Type Variable Displacement Oil Pump," SAE Technical Paper 2019-26-0290, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-26-0290.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Truong , D.Q. , Ahn , K.K. , Trung , N.T. , and Lee , J.S. Theoretical Investigation of a Variable Displacement Vane-Type Oil Pump IMechE 2012 10.1177/0954406212464615
- Truong , D.Q. , Ahn , K.K. , Trung , N.T. , and Lee , J.S. Performance Analysis of a Variable-Displacement Vane-Type Oil Pump for Engine Lubrication Using a Complete Mathematical Model IMechE 2013 10.1177/0954407013491896
- Rundo , M. and Nervegna , N. Modelling and Simulation of Variable-Displacement Vane Pumps for IC Engine Lubrication SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1601 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1601
- Rundo , M. and Nervegna , N. Geometry Assessment of Variable Displace Vane Pump Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurements and Controls 10.1115/1.2718245
- Tang , J.F. , Wu , X.D. , Wu , Y.Q. , and Han , G.Q. Theoretical Study of a Novel Sliding-Vane Rotary Pump - Structure Analysis and its Chamber Pressure Particulate Science and Technology 10.1080/02726351.2016.1211777
- Inaguma , Y. and Hibi , A. 10.1243/095440605X32002
- Lingeshwaramurthy , P. , Jayabaskar , J. , Elayaraja , R. , and Suresh Kumar , J. Development of Analytical Model for Design of Gerotor Oil Pump and Experimental Validation SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0402 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0402
- Milani , M. , Paltrinieri , F. , Rosetti , F. , Bianchini , A. et al. Design and Optimization of Variable Displacement Vane Pump for High Performance IC Engine Lubrication SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-1064 2009 10.4271/2009-01-1064
- Rundo , M. and Nervegna , N. Modelling and Simulation of Gerotor Gearing in Lubricating Oil Pumps SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0626 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0626
- Petrovic , R. University of Kragujevac, Serbia. Mathematical Modeling and Experimental Verification of Operating Parameters of Vane Pump with Double Effect Journal of Mechanical Engineering UDC 621.651:519.61/.64
- Köster , M. , Fidlin , A. , and Schröders , S. Modeling and Simulating a Variable displacement Vane Pump PAMM. Proc. Appl. Math. Mech 2016 10.1002/pamm.201610129
- Çelebi , E ., Boyraz , P. , Ertuğrul , Ġ. , and Eġkġnat , E. 2013