This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Study of Clutch Judder Phenomenon in Manual Transmission Vehicle and Its Analysis Approach
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Clutch engagement judder is a phenomenon wherein the driver experiences vibrations on seat during the clutch engagement process for the vehicle launch. Clutch engagement judder is one of the critical vehicle attributes as a part of overall vehicle NHV. Torsional oscillations, specifically originating from clutch in the driveline during clutch engagement, are referred as clutch engagement judder. Judder is a phenomenon wherein friction induced torsional vibrations are generated in the driveline because of sliding contact between clutch and flywheel, during engagement. These resulting oscillations inherit the first resonance frequency of the driveline. The engagement judder not only affects the dynamics of transmission system but also the vehicle, because of excitations being transferred to body via suspensions and mounts. Passengers experience these oscillations as vibrations during vehicle launch. If excitation level is high then it may cause discomfort to passengers. In addition to those effects, vibrations generated may cause wear of friction material and thereby reducing performance and life of clutches. In this paper, influencing factors on clutch judder, including internal factors (friction characteristic, damping) and external factors (engine torque fluctuation, applied oil pressure fluctuation, engine mount stiffness), are studied analytically. Thru a typical case study, an approach is proposed to identify the source behind clutch engagement judder on a vehicle and possible ways to eliminate or effectively minimize the engagement judder.
|Technical Paper||Reduction in Human Effort in Shifting and Selection Forces in Manual Transmission system|
|Technical Paper||An Explanation for Brake Groan Based on Coupled Brake-Driveline System Analysis|
|Ground Vehicle Standard||Vehicle Idle Gear Rattle Evaluation Procedure|
CitationMohire, S., Kapse, R., and Tendulkar, V., "Study of Clutch Judder Phenomenon in Manual Transmission Vehicle and Its Analysis Approach," SAE Technical Paper 2019-26-0215, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-26-0215.
- Maucher , P. Clutch Chatter Proceedings of the 4th International Symposium on Torsional Vibrations in the Drive Train Baden-Baden, Germany Apr. 20 1990 109 124
- Drexl , H.J. Clutch Judder-Causes and Countermeasures Proceedings of Technical Conference SITEV 90 1990 7 46
- Centea , D. , Rahnejat , H. , and Menday , M.T.
- Albers , A. and Herbst , D Chatter - Causes and Solutions 6th LuK Colloquium 1998
- Shaver , R.F. SAE Manual Transmission Clutch Systems First USA SAE Advances in Engineering Publications 1997
- Küpper , K. , Serebrennikov , B. , and Göppert , G. Software for Automised Transmissions - Intelligent Driving LuK Symposium 2006
- Centea , D. , Rahnejat , H. , and Menday , M.T. Non-Linear Multi-Body Dynamic Analysis for the Study of Clutch Torsional Vibrations (Judder) Applied Mathematical Modelling 2001