This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Diagnosis and Elimination of Vehicle Lateral Shake in Passenger Car through Modification of Driveshaft Joints and Engine Mount System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Vehicle lateral shake during take-off is sensitively felt by customers when the vehicle is driven at a low speed under drive away acceleration. The take-off shudder is complained by customers during 1st and 2nd gear take off. Under an engine torque and half shaft angle, the drive-away shudder usually occurs during acceleration to a specific low speed at 1200 to 1600 engine rpm, which makes the vehicle shake severely. A thorough investigation with possible design optimization of mounting system, drive shaft joint and lubrication is done to reduce the lateral vibration. This paper focuses on a passenger car, the take-off shudder of which occurs at a speed between 20 km/h and 30 km/h. The test vehicle is a monocoque construction with front wheel drive east west engine. Vehicle lateral shake is observed during the low gear power train run up in Wide Open Throttle (WOT) condition. The lateral shake is felt predominantly on the front half of the vehicle which is easily perceivable by passenger.
The paper discusses the measurement and analysis procedures to identify the root cause of shudder. Different modifications are tried out based on the analysis and an optimum solution is selected. The selected modification does not have any adverse effect on other Noise Vibration and Harshness (NVH) attributes.
CitationHazra, S., Kharade, A., and Thakur, S., "Diagnosis and Elimination of Vehicle Lateral Shake in Passenger Car through Modification of Driveshaft Joints and Engine Mount System," SAE Technical Paper 2019-26-0214, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-26-0214.
- Agarwal , K. and Hazra , S. Optimization of Engine Mounting System for Reduction in Lateral Shake and Drive Away Shudder on Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1822 2017 10.4271/2017-01-1822
- Richter , S. and Biermann , J.W.
- Wang , X. , Yao , W. , and Yang , Y. Modification of Front Wheel Drive Vehicle Engine Mounting System for Reduction in Drive-Away Shudder 20th International Congress on Sound and Vibration Bangkok, Thailand 2013
- Bang , J. , Yoon , H. , and Won , K. Experiment and Simulation to Improve Key ON/OFF Vehicle Vibration Quality SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2363 2007 10.4271/2007-01-2363
- Fu J. , Pang J. , Hi C. , Xu X. , et al. 2014
- Lee , Y. Study on Transient Vibration Response Characteristics of Front Transverse Power Train at the Key On/Off SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2283 2007 10.4271/2007-01-2283
- Venkateswararao , M. , Prasath , R. , and Kumbhar , M. Diagnosis and Elimination of Vehicle Shudder in a Sports Utility Vehicle SAE Technical Paper 2013-26-0090 2013 10.4271/2013-26-0090