This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modal Model Correlation of Commercial Vehicle Frame
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Design decisions based on the virtual simulations leads to reduced number of prototype testing. Demonstrated correlation between the computer simulations and experimental test results is vital for designers to confidently take simulation driven design decisions. For the virtual design evaluation of durability, ride, handling and NVH performance, demonstration of correlation of structural dynamic characteristics is critical. Modal correlation between CAE and physical testing validates the stiffness and mass distribution used in the FE model by correlating mode shape and mode frequency in the desired frequency range. The objective of this study is to arrive at a method for establishing modal correlation between CAE and experimental test for a bare frame and thereby enabling evaluation of design iterations in virtual environment to achieve modal targets. In modal model correlation of frame, virtual simulation of the finite element (FE) model is carried out in free-free condition to extract the modal frequencies up to 100 Hz. Based on the mode shape information of modes in this range, the optimum number of response and excitation locations for experimental test setup is arrived, using the analysis tool LMS pre-Test. Experimental testing is carried out by keeping the frame on an inflated rubber tube. The experimental modal frequencies and shapes are derived from the measured frequency response functions (FRFs). Correlation of modal characteristics is evaluated based on absolute percentage difference in frequency values and correspondence in mode shapes.
|Special Publication||Simulation of Commercial Vehicles 2008|
|Technical Paper||Computer Simulation of Vehicle Performance|
|Technical Paper||Musculoskeletal Modeling of Egress with the AnyBody Modeling System|
CitationPalsule, A., Sadasivam, S., Loganathan, E., Rajamohan, K. et al., "Modal Model Correlation of Commercial Vehicle Frame," SAE Technical Paper 2019-26-0212, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-26-0212.
- Jambovane , S. , Kalsule , D. , and Athavale , S. Validation of FE Models Using Experimental Modal Analysis SAE Technical Paper 2001-26-0042 2001 10.4271/2001-26-0042
- Wright , R. and Chiarito , V. Comparison of Experimental and Analytical Structural Dynamics Using Modal Assurance Criterion SAE Technical Paper 851928 1985 10.4271/851928
- Swaminathan , B. , Sharma , B.R. , Chauhan , S. , and Allemang , R.J. Proceedings of the ISMA International Conference 2008
- Allemang , R.J. and Brown , D.L. A Correlation Co-Efficient for Modal Vector Analysis 1st International Modal Analysis Conference Orlando, FL 1982 110 116
- Gokhale , N.S. , Despande , S.S. , and Bedekar , S.S. Practical Finite Element Analysis 8190619500
- LMS 2008