This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of Tyre Acoustic Cavity Mode Induced In-Cabin Noise
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
In-cabin noise induced by tyre air cavity resonance is one of the major issues among other sources. Introducing foam in cavity or changing tyre cavity design is expensive and sometimes they may not solve the problem. Most of the cases the intended techniques are difficult to implement. There are several factors which can affect the tyre cavity resonance. In this work we have studied the effect of acoustic and structural coupling of tyre wheel assembly on tyre cavity resonance. The modal testing of tyre wheel assembly and rim reveals that wheel rim mode affects the tyre cavity resonance. Shifting wheel rim mode away from air cavity mode by using lighter wheel rim reduces the In-cabin noise due to air cavity resonance. Later air cavity resonance mechanism is simulated and verified with the modal test results. In-cabin noise due to air cavity resonance can be optimized by means of using this validated numerical simulation method in the early design stage of tyre development.
CitationSubbian, J., Padmanaban, S., and Skp, A., "Investigation of Tyre Acoustic Cavity Mode Induced In-Cabin Noise," SAE Technical Paper 2019-26-0187, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-26-0187.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Scavuzzo, R., Charek, L., Sandy, P., and Shteinhauz, G., “Influence of Wheel Resonance on Tire Acoustic Cavity Noise,” SAE Technical Paper 940533, 1994, doi:10.4271/940533.
- Yamauchi, H. and Akiyoshi, Y., “Theoretical Analysis of Tire Acoustic Cavity Noise and Proposal of Improvement Technique,” JSAE Review 23:89-94, 2002, doi:10.1016/S0389-4304(01)00152-7.
- Thompson, J., “Plane Wave Resonance in the Tire Air Cavity as a Vehicle Interior Noise Source,” Tire Science and Technology 23(1):2-10, 1995, doi:10.2346/1.2137495.
- Hayashi, T., “Experimental Analysis of Acoustic Coupling Vibration of Wheel and Suspension Vibration on Tire Cavity Resonance,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2345, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-2345.
- Feng, Z., Gu, P., Chen, Y., and Li, Z., “Modeling and Experimental Investigation of Tire Cavity Noise Generation Mechanisms for a Rolling Tire,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 2(1):1414-1423, 2009, doi:10.4271/2009-01-2104.
- Kamiyama, Y., “Development of a New On-Wheel Resonator for Tire Cavity Noise,” SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0022, 2014, doi:10.4271/2014-01-0022.
- Feng, Z. and Gu, P., “Modeling and Experimental Verification of Vibration and Noise Caused by the Cavity Modes of a Rolling Tire under Static Loading,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1581, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-1581.
- Chanpong, N., Mohamed, Z., Wei, H., Watkins, S. et al., “A Study of Tyre Cavity Resonance and Its Mitigation Using Modal Analysis Method,” Internoise 2014, Australia, 2014, 16-19.
- Mohamed, Z., Wang, X., and Jazar, R., “A Survey of Wheel Tyre Cavity Resonance Noise,” International Journal of Vehicle Noise and Vibration 9(3/4), 2013, doi:10.1504/IJVNV.2013.055811.
- Sakata, T., Morimura, H., and Ide, H., “Effects of Tyre Cavity Resonance on Vehicle Road Noise,” Tyre Science and Technology 18(2):68-79, 1990, doi:10.2346/1.2141695.
- Mohamed, Z., Wang, X., Ren, L. et al., “A Study of Tyre, Cavity and Rim Coupling Resonance Induced Noise,” International Journal Vehicle Noise and Vibration 10(12):25-49, 2014, doi:10.1504/IJVNV.2014.059628.
- Sainty, S., Tawaf, A., Richard, J., Wang, X. et al., “Analysis of Potential Solutions to Audible Tire Cavity and Rim,” Proceedings of the Internoise 2012/ASME NCAD, New York City, Aug. 19-22, 2012.
- Kim, S., Sung, K., Lee, D., and Huh, S., “Cavity Noise Sensitivity Analysis of Tire Contour Design Factors and Application of Contour Optimization Methodology,” Journal of Central South University, 2012, doi:10.1007/s11771-012-1286-9.
- Ni, E.-J., Snyder, D.S., Walton, G.F., Mallard, N.E. et al., “Radiated Noise from Tire/Wheel Vibration,” Tire Science and Technology 25(1):29-42, 1997, doi:10.2346/1.2137528.
- Xu, W., Vehicle Noise and Vibration Refinement (CRC Press, 2010), 334-336. ISBN:978-1-84569-497-5.
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice, “Modal Testing and Identification of Lower Order Tire Natural Frequencies of Radial Tires,” SAE Standard J2710, Rev. Aug. 2012.