This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Challenges in High Current Measurements Using Magnetic Flux Concentrator and Hall Effect Current Sensor
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Accurate and safe current measurement in electric and hybrid electric vehicles impose several challenges in conventional shunt-based measurement technique due to presence of high voltages coupled with very high currents. In this paper, we have proposed a low cost and practical contactless current sensing method based upon Hall effect using magnetic flux concentrators and Hall effect sensor for DC current sensing. We aimed at developing a low power sensor having high sensitivity, and flexibility to accommodate in small size for DC currents ranging from ±100 amperes. In this paper, we have modelled the vital properties of the magnetic flux concentrator such as core dimension, air gap, core material and hysteresis. We achieved simulation results showing performance of sensor with respect to varying core material, air-gap, dimensions and temperature. Four different core materials with two geometries were created for benchmarking against simulations results. The modelling was performed in finite element method (FEM) and ANSYS Maxwell 3D Design (Magneto-static) software. The simulation and experimental results were compared for influence of above parameters for accurate and optimum sensor design.
CitationGambhir, A., Newaskar, A., and Desai, T., "Challenges in High Current Measurements Using Magnetic Flux Concentrator and Hall Effect Current Sensor," SAE Technical Paper 2019-26-0106, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-26-0106.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
- Patel , A. 2007
- Houtzager , E. , Rietveld , G. , Dessens , J. , Heemskerk , M. et al. Design of a Non-Invasive Current Sensor for Application on High Voltage Lines Proceedings of the 2014 IEEE Conference on Precision Electromagnetic Measurements Rio de Janeiro, Brazil 2014 24 29
- Yarborough , B. Components and Methods for Current Measurement Power Electronics 2012
- Ziegler , S. , Woodward , R.C. , Iu , H.H.C. , and Borle , L.J. Current Sensing Techniques: A Review IEEE Sensors Journal 9 4 354 376 2009
- Yang , X. , Liu , H. , Wang , Y. , Wang , Y. et al. A Giant Magneto Resistive (GMR) Effect based Current Sensor with a Toroidal Magnetic Core as Flux Concentrator and Closed-Loop Configuration IEEE Transactions on Applied Superconductivity 24 3 1 5 2014
- Yatchev , I. , Sen , M. , Balabozov , I. , and Kostov , I. Modelling of a Hall Effect-Based Current Sensor with an Open Core Magnetic Concentrator Sensors 18 4 1260 2018
- Liu , C. and Liu , J.G. Offset Error Reduction in Open Loop Hall Effect Current Sensors Powered with Single Voltage Source 2014 5th IEEE International Workshop on Applied Measurements for Power Systems (AMPS) Aachen, Germany 2014