This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aerodynamic Analysis of Passenger Car with Luggage Carrier (Roof Rack)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 9, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Any change is vehicle exterior design, affects the aerodynamics characteristic. Generally different types of roof racks are attached on passenger vehicles to carry luggage which affects aerodynamic drag. The objective of this work is to perform aerodynamic analysis of ground vehicle with roof rack to investigate the change in drag coefficient. First, the aerodynamic analysis of a baseline passenger car model is performed with and without generic benchmarked roof rack at 100 kmph. Further analysis is carried out with different new designs of roof racks. Based on simulation result, a scaled down prototype model is fabricated and validated by using a wind tunnel test for optimum suitable case. The modelling of the vehicle is done in CATIA tool and simulation is carried out by using ANSYS Fluent. The results show maximum drag reduction of around 9% with new design of roof rack as compared to the benchmarked roof rack which improves the fuel economy around 18% when compared to a benchmarked roof rack.
CitationHol, P. and Agrewale, M., "Aerodynamic Analysis of Passenger Car with Luggage Carrier (Roof Rack)," SAE Technical Paper 2019-26-0067, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-26-0067.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 2]|
|[Unnamed Dataset 3]|
- Blacha, T. and Islam, M. , “The Aerodynamic Development of the New Audi Q5,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 10(2):638-648, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-1522.
- Kumar, A., Singh, A., and Regin A, F. , “Study on Effect of Ground Clearance on Performance of Aerodynamic Drag Reduction Devices for Passenger Vehicle Using CFD Simulations,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-26-0197, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-26-0197.
- Howell, J., Sherwin, C., Passmore, M., and Le Good, G. , “Aerodynamic Drag of a Compact SUV as Measured On-Road and in the Wind Tunnel,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0529, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-0529.
- Kumar, A., Singh, A., Dhankhar, D., and Regin, F. , “Aerodynamic Development of Maruti Suzuki Vitara Brezza using CFD Simulations,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-26-0268, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-26-0268.
- Patidar, A., Gupta, U., and Bansal, A. , “Fuel Efficiency Improvement of Commercial Vehicle by Investigating Drag Resistance,” SAE Technical Paper 2015-01-2893, 2015, doi:10.4271/2015-01-2893.
- Softa, A., Shami, A., and Khurana, R. , “Design of Roof Rack Rails with Cost and Weight Optimization,” SAE Technical Paper 2017-01-1308, 2017, doi:10.4271/2017-01-1308.
- Jeong, D., Woo, C., and Geum, W. , “The Study of the Parameter of Roof Rack & Cross Bar for the Reduction of Wind Noise,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0994, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0994.
- Karbon, K. and Dietschi, U. , “Computational Analysis and Design to Minimize Vehicle Roof Rack Wind Noise,” SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0602, 2005, doi:10.4271/2005-01-0602.
- Lee, M., Lee, J., and Kim, D. , “Reduction of Aeolian Noise from Roof Rack Crossbars Using Asymmetric Cross-Section Geometry,” SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1275, 2002, doi:10.4271/2002-01-1275.
- Sovran, G. , “Tractive-Energy-Based Formulae for the Impact of Aerodynamics on Fuel Economy Over the EPA Driving Schedules,” SAE Technical Paper 830304, 1983, doi:10.4271/830304.