This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Parametric Optimization of Planetary Carrier for Durability
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Planetary gear set is one of the most commonly used gear systems in automotive industry as they cater to high power density requirements. A simple planetary gear set consists of a sun gear, ring gear, planets and carrier which houses planet gears. Efficiency of a transmission is dependent upon performance of gear sets involved in power transfer to a great extent. Structural rigidity of a planetary carrier is critical in a planetary gear set as its deflection may alter the load distribution of gears in mesh causing durability and noise issues. Limited studies exist based on geometrical parameters of a carrier which would help a designer in selecting the dimensions at an early stage.
In this study, an end to end automated FEA process based on DOE and optimization in Isight is developed. The method incorporates a workflow allowing for an update of carrier geometry, FE model setup, analysis job submission and post-processing of results. Deflection and stresses at critical locations are the output responses considered for optimization.
This paper provides an explanation on carrier behavior involved in power transfer and workflow development in Isight. Parametric studies are performed to evaluate the influence of carrier geometry over stress and deformation. This study would be a reference for a gearbox designer to select optimum design satisfying mass and strength requirements.
|Technical Paper||Herical Gear Root Stress Prediction for Automotive Transmissions|
|Technical Paper||Vibro-Acoustic Behavior of Bead-Stiffened Flat Panels: FEA, SEA, and Experimental Analysis|
|Journal Article||NVH Development of Aluminum Axles|
CitationAmbarkar, V., Dewangan, Y., and Black, D., "Parametric Optimization of Planetary Carrier for Durability," SAE Technical Paper 2019-26-0049, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-26-0049.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|[Unnamed Dataset 1]|
- Ganti, V., Dewangan, Y., and Ganesan, S.P., “Influence of Gear Web and Macro Geometry on Mesh Misalignment,” 2015.
- Iman, R.L., Helton, J.C., and Campbell, J.E., “An Approach to Sensitivity Analysis of Computer Models, Part 1. Introduction, Input Variable Selection and Preliminary Variable Assessment,” Journal of Quality Technology, 1981.
- Buhmann, M.D., Radial Basis Functions: Theory and Implementations (Cambridge University Press, 2003). ISBN:978-0-521-63338-3.
- Broomhead, D.H. and Lowe, D., “Multivariable Functional Interpolation and Adaptive Networks,” 1988.
- Xiaoyu, G.U., “Influence of Planet Position Errors and Eccentricities on Planetary Gear Dynamics,” 2012.