This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Computational and Experimental Analysis of Head Injury Criteria (HIC) in Frontal Collision of Car with Pedestrian
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Road accident between pedestrian and motor vehicle causes severe injuries and even death of pedestrian. The accident statistics show that the possibility of injury to pedestrian is higher in case of collision with car on busy roads. In car and pedestrian collisions, the pedestrian’s head hits with car bonnet and suffer from multiple injuries such as skull fractures and brain injury. The role of car bonnet structural strength plays an important role in pedestrian head injury level. To provide enough structural strength the high bonnet thickness is provided with under bonnet stiffeners, however thick bonnet and stiffeners reduces deformation of the bonnet during collision and increases injury level to pedestrian. Hence optimum bonnet thickness, least number and geometry of stiffeners and enough structural strength is important for bonnet to reduce injury level. The aim of this study is to analyse the effect of car bonnet thickness, number and arrangement of under bonnet stiffeners on head injury levels with the help of head injury criteria (HIC). Head Injury Criteria (HIC) is a measure of the likelihood of head injury arising from an impact during a car crash. It indicatesthe level of injury caused during a particular crash. A typical modern car bonnet is selected for investigation with variety of bonnet material thickness and different configurations of under bonnet stiffeners and head injury criteria (HIC) is computed with the help of computer modelling. Further, head linear velocity, acceleration and head injury risk are predicted for probability of skull fracture. The geometry of bonnet is optimized with the help of optimization technique and optimized bonnet geometry is validated experimentally by designing a bonnet test facility and head form imparter.
CitationThombare, D., "Computational and Experimental Analysis of Head Injury Criteria (HIC) in Frontal Collision of Car with Pedestrian," SAE Technical Paper 2019-26-0016, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-26-0016.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Lissner , H.R. , Lebow , M. , and Evans , F.G. Experimental Studies on the Relation between Acceleration and Intracranial Pressure Changes in Man Surgery, Gynecology & Obstetrics 111 329 1960
- Gadd , C.W. Use of Weighted-Impulse Criterion for Estimating Injury Hazard Proceedings of the Tenth Stapp Car Crash Conference New York 1966
- Ommaya , A.K. , Hirsch , A.E. , and Martinez , J.L. The Role of Whiplash in Cerebral Concussion SAE Technical Paper 660804 1966 10.4271/660804
- King , A.I. , Yang , K.H. , Zhang , L. , Hardy , W. et al. Is Head Injury Caused by Linear or Angular Acceleration IRCOBI Conference Lisbon, Portugal 2003 1 12
- AIS Standards 2013 https://www.araiindia.com/Publish_AIS_Standards.asp
- 2013 http://www.euroncap.com/Content-Web-Page/ed4ad09d-1d63-4b20-a2e3-39192518cf50/pedestrian-protection.aspx
- Robert , L. and Hess , K.W. 1980
- Hutchinson , J. , Kaiser , M.J. , and Lankarani , H.M. The Head Injury Criterion (HIC) Functional Applied Mathematics and Computation 96 1 1 16 1998 10.1016/S0096-3003(97)10106-0
- Mellander , H. HIC - The Head Injury Criterion Modern Concepts in Neurotraumatology 36 Vienna Springer 1968 978-3-211-81931-9
- Palisson , A. , Cassan , F. , Trosseille , X. , Lesire , P. et al. Estimating Q3 Dummy Injury Criteria for Frontal Impacts Using the CHILD Project Results and Scaling Reference Values Proceedings of the IRCOBI Conference 2007 263 276
- Prasad , P. Biomechanical Basis for Injury Criteria Used in Crashworthiness Regulations IRCOBI Conference 1999
- Kleiven , S. Evaluation of Head Injury Criteria Using a Finite Element Model Validated against Experiments on Localized Brain Motion, Intracerebral Acceleration, and Intracranial Pressure International Journal of Crashworthiness 11 1 65 79 2006 10.1533/ijcr.2005.0384
- DeWeese , R.L. and Moorcroft , D.M. 2004
- Fenner , H. Jr. , Thomas , D.J. , Gennarelli , T. , Pintar , F.A. et al. 2005
- Henn , H.-W. Crash Tests and the Head Injury Criterion Teaching Mathematics and Its Applications 17 4 162 170 1998 10.1093/teamat/17.4.162