This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Loss of Control Car Accidents on Indian Roads - Benefit Estimation of ESC
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 09, 2019 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
India has one of the highest growth rates of individual mobility in the world, as well as one of the largest numbers of road casualties. Modern active safety systems are slowly becoming established in the Indian passenger car market. The intension of this study is to investigate the effectiveness of the car safety feature Electronic Stability Control (ESC) for India. The Indian accidents has to be analysed to identify the reliable root cause. For this purpose, passenger car Loss of Control accidents were investigated in more detail with the aim of estimating the safety potential of ESC for India. A methodology is developed to extrapolate the in-depth accident database of Road Accident Sampling System for India (RASSI) to the entire accident situation in India. Loss of Control accidents are analysed with regard to their root causes, crash consequences and contributing factors. The initial findings of the study reveals that the accident scenario Loss of Control of cars is significantly prominent in India. The analysis shows that about 40,000 Loss of Control car accidents with injury occur in India every year and in addition, about 4,000 accidents due to sudden tire damage. Another important impact of the use of RASSI is that the phenomenon of underreporting becomes visible. This issue is also included in this study for the first time. It is found that up to 33,000 car accidents with casualties could be positively influenced if ESC would be equipped in all passenger cars. This corresponds to 12% of all car accidents with casualties in India and ESC could prevent up to 9,000 road deaths and around 14,000 serious injured road users annually. However, the study furthermore shows that infrastructure measures and safety awareness can also contribute to reduce the number of car accidents and or casualties.
CitationMoennich, J., Lich, T., Kumaresh, G., and Georgi, A., "Loss of Control Car Accidents on Indian Roads - Benefit Estimation of ESC," SAE Technical Paper 2019-26-0009, 2019, https://doi.org/10.4271/2019-26-0009.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
|Unnamed Dataset 2|
|Unnamed Dataset 3|
|Unnamed Dataset 4|
|Unnamed Dataset 5|
|Unnamed Dataset 6|
- 2017 www.morth.nic.in
- Road Accident Sampling System - India (RASSI) www.rassi.org.in
- Moennich , J. , Lich , T. , Georgi , A. Underreported Accidents on Indian Roads ESAR 2018 Conference Robert Bosch GmbH
- Moennich , J. , Girikumar , K. , Lich , T. , and Georgi , A. Analysis of Non-Police Reported Accidents on Indian Highways SAE Technical Paper 2017-26-0005 2017 10.4271/2017-26-0005
- Modified Accident Classification System (GDV) for left-Hand Traffic, based on German Insurance Association Accident Classification System Unfalltypen-Katalog: Leitfaden zur Bestimmung des Unfalltyps Informationen des Instituts für Straßenverkehr 1998 0724-3693
- VDI Press Communication 2013
- German , A. et. al. Event Data Recorders in the Analysis of Frontal Impacts 51st Annual Proceedings Association for the Advancement of Automotive Medicine 2007
- Johannsen , H. and Otte , D. Influence of Impact Type and Restraint System Triggering Time on Injury Severity in Frontal Impact Crashes Proceedings of 24th Enhanced Safety of Vehicles, ESV 24 2015
- Iyota , T. and Ishikawa , T. The Effect of Occupant Protection by Controlling Airbag and Seatbelt Proceedings of 18th Enhanced Safety of Vehicles, ESV 18 2003
- Liebemann , E.K. , Meder , K. , Schuh , J. , and Nenninger , G. Safety and Performance Enhancement: The Bosch Electronic Stability Control (ESP®) SAE Technical Paper 2004-21-0060
- Zanten , A.V. Bosch ESP® Systems: 5 Years of Experience SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-1633 2000 10.4271/2000-01-1633
- Kahane , C.J. 2014
- Wagner , M. , Liers , H. , Marschner , M. , Institute for Traffic Accident Research at Dresden University of Technology 2014
- Sferco , R. , Page , Y. , Le Coz , J.Y. , and Fay , P.A
- Rabe , M. VW-Research, Germany 5. Symposium Automatisierungs- und Assistenzsysteme für Transportmittel Braunschweig, Germany Feb. 17 2004
- Papelis , Y.E. , Brown , T. , Watson , G. , Holtz , D. et al.